Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2013 3:39:12 PM EDT
I have whats called Hemiplagic Migraines. I never had any issues before with headaches or anything until early this year. Around Mid March 2013 time frame I started having really bad headaches. So I took over the counter medication for relief. One day while out with my wife and son shopping I began to notice that my tongue was getting heavy and my left arm was falling asleep. Then it spread to my whole left side, my face down to my toes. Told my wife and we rushed to the ER. There they ran tests for TIA/ Stroke and didn't find anything so I was diagnosed with that.

Over the course of the next month I had multiple episodes which either occurred on my left side or right side. Same symptoms, blurred vision seeing wavy lines, scalp asleep, whole left or right side of body numb. Would last about 5 to 10 mins and go away.

The ER had recommended I get a cat scan, MRI and all these other scans that all turned out negative for any stroke symptoms. Even seen a cardiologist and took ultrasounds of my veins in my neck and a echo cardiogram of my heart. All passed with flying colors. So I started reading online and found out about HM.

My Neurologist confirmed HM and been on Propranolol. I haven't had any episodes now for 6 months but I do have almost every day a slight headache which seems to be behind my left eye. I just take Ibuprofen for the discomfort.

Anyone here suffer from the same and if what meds are you on?
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:43:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I have migraines that mess up my vision and give me a pretty intense headache. Never numbness or symptoms like you have. That would scare the crap out of me
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:49:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have migraines that mess up my vision and give me a pretty intense headache. Never numbness or symptoms like you have. That would scare the crap out of me
View Quote

Yep. All the symptoms of a stroke but it's not a stroke. I thought I was dying the first time it happened. I wasn't so much worried about myself but I kept thinking what was going to happen to my son since he was only 7 months old.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:00:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Just plain 'old cluster migraine here. (I.e. - suicide migraine)
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:00:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I get the aura, then it goes away and is shortly followed by extreme headache, nausea varying from mild to intense.  Once that abates, my head will feel tender if I move it too quickly for about the next 12 hours.

One time I got a kind of pins and needles and numbness in one of my hands, which I read is a known migraine symptom.  I commonly lose my sense of taste during one, sometimes I can't read (like, my eyes see the words but my brain can't turn them into anything), and one time I went blind for a an hour or so.

It's frustrating because as soon as one starts to come on I know the rest of the day is wasted.  My doctor put me on amitriptyline for a while.  I stopped taking it after a month because the side effects were worse than the migraines, but since then I haven't had an aura once (it was previously a symptom 100% of the time), and the migraines happen much more rarely.  Now if I just pop some Excederin Migraine at the first sign of a certain neck stiffness, I'll only lose an hour or two to it.  Something about taking the amitriptyline, even for just a short time, changed enough of what was wrong in my brain to really relieve me for about 6 months now.

My mom and dad both had migraine problems when they were my age.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:02:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's been a good 6 months plus since I've had a full episode but past couple weeks I've been getting the headaches where it feels like it's right behind my left eye. Just hope i don;t go numb at work because it's scary.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:17:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I have had hemiplagic migraines since I was 10 years old (48 now).  They can be terrifying at times. The beta blockers help their frequency down, but do not eliminate them.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:20:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have had hemiplagic migraines since I was 10 years old (48 now).  They can be terrifying at times. The beta blockers help their frequency down, but do not eliminate them.
View Quote

Yeah. I am expecting to have one anytime now. Hate it when that happens.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:22:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I have VERY similar symptoms but haven't been diagnosed as Hemiplagic.  The only thing I take is Relpax when I feel one come on.  Relpax, if it works for you, is AMAZING.  It's literally the only Rx I've ever taken that does EXACTLY what it is suppose to do exactly when it's supposed to do it.

Quoted:
I have whats called Hemiplagic Migraines. I never had any issues before with headaches or anything until early this year. Around Mid March 2013 time frame I started having really bad headaches. So I took over the counter medication for relief. One day while out with my wife and son shopping I began to notice that my tongue was getting heavy and my left arm was falling asleep. Then it spread to my whole left side, my face down to my toes. Told my wife and we rushed to the ER. There they ran tests for TIA/ Stroke and didn't find anything so I was diagnosed with that.

Over the course of the next month I had multiple episodes which either occurred on my left side or right side. Same symptoms, blurred vision seeing wavy lines, scalp asleep, whole left or right side of body numb. Would last about 5 to 10 mins and go away.

The ER had recommended I get a cat scan, MRI and all these other scans that all turned out negative for any stroke symptoms. Even seen a cardiologist and took ultrasounds of my veins in my neck and a echo cardiogram of my heart. All passed with flying colors. So I started reading online and found out about HM.

My Neurologist confirmed HM and been on Propranlolol. I haven't had any episodes now for 6 months but I do have almost every day a slight headache which seems to be behind my left eye. I just take Ibuprofen for the discomfort.

Anyone here suffer from the same and if what meds are you on?
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:24:59 PM EDT
[#9]
my neuro prescribed me this stuff, anyone else use it?

works for me.

it's an OTC supplement.

foods with MSG are a trigger.  (culprit was a bag of doritoes).

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:32:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:41:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I was on Topamax or Topiramate but it  did very weird things to me. Upon reading it was all side effects of the drug. I would be sitting at my desk at work and have weird daydreams. Usually about anything that was on my screen. I lost the ability of taste fizz in soda pop. I called it quits when it did the same for beer : ).. It also caused speech impediment and I would forget things that I had said and would say off the wall comments that made no sense. I'm usually a forgetful person but my wife noticed it had increased a lot on that drug. I'm glad my Neurologist took me off of it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:56:19 PM EDT
[#12]
OP I reccomend the chiropractor. You definetly need bloodflow to all your organs and your nerve function needs to be spot on. Make sure you find one that does at least manual adjustments and give it a month or two  2 or 3 times a week. Everyone needs chiro care. The science behind it is sound pro sports teams have them for a reason. Miracles have happened. The body will heal itself given the right circumstances and proper nerve flow. I mean a 100 bucks if that a week usually 35-50 per visit is total worth being free and living a healthy life.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:05:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
OP I reccomend the chiropractor. You definetly need bloodflow to all your organs and your nerve function needs to be spot on. Make sure you find one that does at least manual adjustments and give it a month or two  2 or 3 times a week. Everyone needs chiro care. The science behind it is sound pro sports teams have them for a reason. Miracles have happened. The body will heal itself given the right circumstances and proper nerve flow. I mean a 100 bucks if that a week usually 35-50 per visit is total worth being free and living a healthy life.
View Quote

Yep. This is on my things  to do list. I was asking around work for a good chiro guy that accepted our insurance.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:06:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Propranlolol.
View Quote

Never had them like that!

And quoting for the lol's at this typo.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:26:34 PM EDT
[#15]
OP I have this also. I try my damndest to get myself 800mg of ibuprofin and 1000mg of Tylenol as soon as it begins, the I get some caffeine and find a dark room to sit in for a while. Thats all that works for me.

The worst ones are when I go completely blind for an hour or so, but luckily thats only happened a handful of times and not in the last few years. I feel your pain OP.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:29:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Have you found anything that stops your cycles, or prevents them all together?  I have Clusters also…
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:41:06 PM EDT
[#17]
My wife gets migraines bad, about 3-4 per week. She uses zomig to relieve them. She is also on some other meds that are supposed to help. She'll be trying the Botox in a few weeks.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 7:24:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Ask your doc about Sumavil Dosepro. It flat out works.....every time!
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:09:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Propranlolol.

Fixed for you grammar nazis..........
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:20:45 PM EDT
[#20]
No, I just have regular migraines on occasion. My peripheral vision mostly goes away and a get a kind of light-headed feeling, then about 15 minutes later the migraine shows up. Moderate to high amounts of caffeine sets me off.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:36:20 PM EDT
[#21]
I still don't know what my triggers are yet. I am speculating that I am sensitive to light. It seems that they are more bound to happen after I sit at my desk all day doing reports and invoices. Couple weeks ago I went to main event with my family. Didn't play any games or anything but the lighting there is kinda intense. After I left I had a bad headache. So it makes me think I am sensitive to viewing intense patters of lights for a long time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top