Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2013 3:03:17 AM EDT
I am thinking of buying one. Looking at a mid 80`s model. Are parts for those years hard to find?
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:09:16 AM EDT
[#1]
If it needs a clutch, just take a hammer and break 3 fingers on your right hand - if you're right handed- as it will make it much easier and more fun.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:10:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Rust issues by chance?
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:27:09 AM EDT
[#3]
That's not a Porsche it's an Audi I believe and a POS.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:31:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Rear engine or nothing.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:33:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Make sure it's a turbo

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:34:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I've been told that it's the only way to go for a Porsche lover on a budget. I would PM Toyaibe(sp?) and ask his opinion.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:35:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I owned two of them back in college...money pits, no performance and there are so many better cars out there....get a vette...
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:39:10 AM EDT
[#8]
IBTP

1) Somebody just watched 15 candles.

2) Water cooled front engine? Ewww.

3) Buy both. Meaning, two is one and one is none unless you have a good mechanic on retainer.

Go find a 78-83 911.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:39:12 AM EDT
[#9]
You rang?

Pelican parts is your friend for parts, no rust issues if it came from an area that doesn't salt the roads, the 944 was never made by Audi, is was a continuation of the 924 that was, early on in its design, floated as a VW product, but never was.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:46:21 AM EDT
[#10]
944s do have Audi and vw parts in them

They will out handle 911s on the track

Current 911 values are climbing.  944s are cheaper to buy

Parts are available.  Rennlist and PP is your friend

Maintenance on the 944 can be extensive.  Most can be done by home mechanic as long as car is sound

There is better bang for buck.   Think M3

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:10:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Maintenance on the 944 can be extensive.  Most can be done by home mechanic as long as car is sound

View Quote

Are you talking about a BMW M3?
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:14:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am sure he is,and he is right, it is a "better bang for the buck"...but everyone in my family drives a BMW, including 2 M3s. I liked being special with with Porsches.

The E36 and E46 gen models are what he is probably talking about, look them up and do your research.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:22:37 AM EDT
[#13]
plenty of performance in a 951, and I have seen some terrific LS conversions which make them LOL fun. purists may frown on you. slow off the line, but fun to drive. Rennlist will lead you to all the right places.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:23:03 AM EDT
[#14]
para_frame,
Have you ever owned a 928?
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:29:11 AM EDT
[#15]
They are extremely fun to drive...

But, get an E36 M3.
You will be able to get more performance for less money, everyone makes parts for the E36 and E46
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:31:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

But, get an E36 M3.
You will be able to get more performance for less money, everyone makes parts for the E36 and E46
View Quote

Are those rear wheel or front wheel drives?
What year did they start producing them?
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:32:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
para_frame,
Have you ever owned a 928?
View Quote

No, I pussed out when I looked at the wiring problems the one I was going to buy had. A guy in my neighborhood has one that is a semi-daily driver though.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:34:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But, get an E36 M3.

Like all true sports cars, RWD. the E36 was made from 1990 to 2000 and the E46 was made from 1998 to 2006.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:35:21 AM EDT
[#19]
I had one and it was a great car when it was running. I am sure there are spare parts out there for those with delusions of transportation.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:42:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I had one and it was a great car when it was running. I am sure there are spare parts out there for those with delusions of transportation.
View Quote

You Sir, have a very tactful way of making statements!
Had some bad experiences `eh?
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:50:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was only stranded once...damn fuel pump relay, something anyone who drives a 944 should have spares of in their glove box. I had a cracked ignition coil once too that caused rough starts when it was below freezing out side (easy fix) AND the sun roof didn't work (not an easy fix), but other than that, mine was "40K miles a year" reliable.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:57:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Had an S2 for a number of years. Power was decent, handling OK. there was a bad second gear crunch that would come and go with no warning. I replaced the thermostat, major PIA, and shortly after the water pump went.  Touch anything in the cooling system, and replace the water pump at the same time.

Fun for a while but do not miss it. If it's red, you will find every pimply kid in a Ranger pickup wanting to race you. Read a comment from a female owner who said 944's draw assholes like shit draws flies. The guy who bought it drove it cross country home. He said every two  hundred miles a pimple face in a Ranger showed up on the interstate wanting to have a go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top