Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2013 5:03:05 PM EDT
Alright hive mind- lend me your knowledge.

Ive been trying to sell my AR for a while now. Its an old colt sporter. I had someone in CT want to buy it-trick is, its a ban state. So, dude sends me some laws which outline the allowed serial numbers and mine appears to be on the list. Ive got an FFL pdf in my email and it looks legit, like every other gun Ive sold.

Good to hook? or is this too sketchy?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:10:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't do it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:13:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Shipping to an FFL?  I'd have zero issue with it.

You are transferring the rifle to the FFL.  The FFL is transferring it to the individual.  I rather doubt that states have criminalized sending rifles to FFLs.  Even if they had, I rather doubt that the Connecticut state troopers will come get you in North Dakota.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:13:38 PM EDT
[#3]
If its a pre ban then yes its g2g. I sold one up there a few years ago after getting it at a gun show. Anything to help out gun guys in an occupied state.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:14:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You are transferring the rifle to the FFL.  The FFL is transferring it to the individual.  I rather doubt that states have criminalized sending rifles to FFLs.  Even if they had, I rather doubt that the Connecticut state troopers will come get you in North Dakota.
View Quote

This, send it to the FFL. Do the ATF EZ check, if it's legit, ship iit.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:16:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:17:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

If in doubt, look up the FFL and call them directly.  Once you are paid and the rifle is in the hands of the FFL, it's no longer your problem.
View Quote
This. Easy, peasy, lemon squeezy.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:17:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I thought in CT you could only own Bushmaster because most other stuff was banned by name, but I could be wrong.  That said, if it goes to a FFL it is their issue not yours.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:18:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:20:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:26:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Alright hive mind- lend me your knowledge.

Ive been trying to sell my AR for a while now. Its an old colt sporter. I had someone in CT want to buy it-trick is, its a ban state. So, dude sends me some laws which outline the allowed serial numbers and mine appears to be on the list. Ive got an FFL pdf in my email and it looks legit, like every other gun Ive sold.

Good to hook? or is this too sketchy?
View Quote

Its going to depend on who you believe. Under the law prior to 4/4/13, the "Colt AR-15 and Sporter" were specificly banned by name. Some now claim that the updated laws allow for prior banned by name firearms like the "Colt AR-15 and Sporter" to be transferred/sold so long as they were manufactured prior to 9/13/94. We now have differing opinions from two state agencies on the legality of selling/transfering banned by name "preban's". DESPP's opinion on "prebans" and the Office of Legislative Research's opinion on preban's that differs from the DESPP opinion.

If the CT FFL is willing to accept it then its on them to comply with the CT law when taking possession and when the transfer the firearm to the buyer.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:33:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Well that explains why he sent me a copy of a letter he wrote his sheriff. That letter references the following
Sec. 3. Subparagraphs (E) and (F) of subdivision (1) of section 53-202a of the general statutes, as amended by section 25 of public act 13-3, are repealed and the following is substituted in lieu thereof (Effective from passage):

It then goes on to list pretty much every feature on a black rifle.....and a shotguns with a revolving cylinder....

The 13-3 was the bit that banned guns by name. But his ffl is cool with it, so I guess I am too now. Thanks for the re-assurance guys!
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:35:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top