Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2013 7:49:19 AM EDT
This is why I am converting all my AA & AAA electronics over to Sanyo Eneloop and or Energizer lithiums. Today I found this light I had stashed away three months ago with leaky Rayovac alkalines. The batteries were new and had been used maybe five minutes total. It's only a cheap Terralux light but if I hadn't found this right away the light may have been ruined. I have also seen leaky Duracell and Energizer batteries too so it isn't just these cheap Rayovacs.  

I know CSB and all.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:52:47 AM EDT
[#1]
They're pretty infamous for leaking. Check out the Amazon reviews, which are one long line of "LEAK" "LEAKED AND WRECKED MY STUFF", etc.

Costco Kirklands do not last very long, but at least they don't leak. (Or they just don't get a chance to.)

Yay for quality. Didn't it use to be that only the old style batteries leaked and alkalines did not?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:53:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I just pulled 8 leaky Energizer D cells out of my "emergency"

fluorescent lantern.  They all do it, which is why I try to remember

to check once in a while, and keep a few packs of fresh cells in the

cabinet.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:54:48 AM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:11:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't put alkalines in any of my equipment until I am ready to using them. They making them so cheaply nowadays.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:15:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Hell, I pulled some leaky ones out of the package just the other day. We keep a big box of batteries in the hall closet. Somehow a pack got sifted to the bottom and we didn't rotate it. Several of them had leaked.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:16:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just pulled 8 leaky Energizer D cells out of my "emergency"

fluorescent lantern.  They all do it, which is why I try to remember

to check once in a while, and keep a few packs of fresh cells in the

cabinet.
View Quote

They have a rather good replacement policy.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:20:41 AM EDT
[#7]
CR123 or 18650 rechargables for me, I stay away from anything that uses standard batteries for just that reason.
I've had too many things ruined by leaking batteries, including a couple of 6 cell Maglites.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:23:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I've gotten to where anything I have that uses alkaline batteries I remove the batteries if it is being stored. Had too much stuff wrecked from crappy alkaline batteries.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:30:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I had some AA batteries in a drawer still in the package that had leaked.
I've got a D battery that's stuck in a 3 cell Maglite and it won't come out. I've tried slamming on the pavement repeatedly but it's stuck. I had that particular flashlight for 20 years and hate to see it go.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:37:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I knew it was going to be Ray-O-Sludge before I even opened the thread.

They have got to be the absolute worst battery manufacturer on the face of the planet.....which is sad after once being the industry standard.

The really bad part is, it doesn't matter what type either....AAA, AA, C , D,  they all have leaked in my electronics.  Duracell, Energizer, Panasonic, and even a bunch of varied Chinese batteries have been safe.

Cheap , weak, and leaky....how they stay in business is beyond me. I've lost count on the number of mini-mags I've tossed because those Ray-O-Vac batteries leaked and soldered themselves to the inside of the barrel.  Even if you pound them out, the contacts are shot to hell.

When your advertisement on the package says " Just as good as Duracell"....or "Just as good as Energizer"......yeah, you got a problem.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:45:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Def: Flashlight; A device used to store dead, leaky batteries
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:46:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've gotten to where anything I have that uses alkaline batteries I remove the batteries if it is being stored. Had too much stuff wrecked from crappy alkaline batteries.
View Quote

Came across a cheap shot timer I had in a baggie with the two chicom batteries that came with it. They had a dry white powder that didn't seem to affect the timer. Fortunately I had removed them and tossed them in the baggie.

I do have some electronic muffs I may have left some batteries in about two weeks ago.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:51:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 9:13:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Several of the battery names are the same manufacturer.  Most will stand behind their batteries and refund you stated value for the device if it is ruined.  I have done this several times, and the 800- number on the battery has been the same company at least three times for me.  I have done it enough times that they are going to make me send in the device the next time it happens.  

The only safe bet is to store the device without any batteries installed.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 9:44:10 AM EDT
[#15]
There called alkaleaks for a reason!  And their capacities under any appreciable load, as in 1A for typical lights, sucks donkey balls, actually.  TV remotes and such, they're pretty good if they don't leak.

Here's a new site with a lot of battery tests, that somebody brought to CPF's attention:

He's done a lot of tests of popular brands:

Notice how bad some of them can be at 1A, which is common for a decently made flashlight on HIGH.  You can't fart electrons out of your ass any faster.

Alkaline battery tests!

Chris
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:19:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
There called alkaleaks for a reason!  And their capacities under any appreciable load, as in 1A for typical lights, sucks donkey balls, actually.  TV remotes and such, they're pretty good if they don't leak.

Here's a new site with a lot of battery tests, that somebody brought to CPF's attention:

He's done a lot of tests of popular brands:

Notice how bad some of them can be at 1A, which is common for a decently made flashlight on HIGH.  You can't fart electrons out of your ass any faster.

Alkaline battery tests!

Chris
View Quote

Thanks for the link!
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:23:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Doesn't matter what brand they all leak.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:29:54 AM EDT
[#18]
I really prefer Lithium because you get-

1.  Many years more of shelf life.
2.  More hours of use than alkaline.
3.  Not affected by hot or freezing cold temperatures.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:43:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've got a D battery that's stuck in a 3 cell Maglite and it won't come out. I've tried slamming on the pavement repeatedly but it's stuck. I had that particular flashlight for 20 years and hate to see it go.
View Quote

I spent an hour this morning tapping the end of a 4D Maglight on a concrete floor to get the batteries out. Massive gray powder all over the place. Since this light lives in my truck (and is only a backup to me EDC light), I'm going to upgrade the lamp to LED and put Lithium batteries in it before it goes back in the truck.

And yes, they were Rayovac batteries.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:52:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:59:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Slightly related...

Last year I went to use my AA MagLite, and it wouldn't turn on... Open it up and see leaky batteries firmly stuck in place.  I was able to smack it on the bench to knock the first out, but the second wasn't budging.  So I figure "the battery is surely dead, I'll just drill it, stick a screw in it and pull it on out".  Word of advice, DO NOT DO THIS!  It got extremely hot, smoked and crackled (but the heat did melt the plastic and allowed me to pull the battery out, and tossed it out on the concrete patio so it could finish discharging.  

Not my smartest moment.  Didn't burn the house down and didn't burn myself, so I'll call it a win.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:10:28 AM EDT
[#22]
FWIW: i've had the best luck with duracell alkalines.

energizers have destroyed several mag-lites.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:18:56 AM EDT
[#23]
For alkalines, I will only buy the DuraCells.  I've only had a few of those leak thru the yrs and it's really rare.  Energizer and RayOvacs are a joke in their alkaline versions.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:25:39 AM EDT
[#24]
All the manufacturers have struggled with leakage since they took the Mercury out of the formula. Duracell seems like the best of the alkalines.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:29:01 AM EDT
[#25]
FUCK THOSE CHEAP ASS LEAKY VIALS OF FILTH!!

A POX UPON THEIR MAKER'S HOUSES!!

ONE ENELOOP TO RULE THEM ALL.

I will never go back to those shtity batteries.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:31:43 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

This is why I am converting all my AA & AAA electronics over to Sanyo Eneloop and or Energizer lithiums. Today I found this light I had stashed away three months ago with leaky Rayovac alkalines. The batteries were new and had been used maybe five minutes total. It's only a cheap Terralux light but if I hadn't found this right away the light may have been ruined. I have also seen leaky Duracell and Energizer batteries too so it isn't just these cheap Rayovacs.  

View Quote

It definitely happens.

Whenever I read about people buying 30 packs of flashlights to stash around all over the place, I always wonder "what are they thinking?"

Because it seems ever more likely that they'll go to use the light a few months later, only to find corrosion where the batteries used to be.

I don't know what's going on, some kind of EPA forced formulation switch or some shit? Fuckin' sucks.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:32:27 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Duracell seems like the best of the alkalines.

View Quote

No.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:33:40 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

FUCK THOSE CHEAP ASS LEAKY VIALS OF FILTH!!

A POX UPON THEIR MAKER'S HOUSES!!

ONE ENELOOP TO RULE THEM ALL.
I will never go back to those shtity batteries.
View Quote

Aren't they a buck a whack though?

I've gone to mainly using Energizer rechargeables for AA/AAA

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:34:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Rayovac has replaced three or four lights for me.  I no longer use rayovacs.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:47:18 AM EDT
[#30]
I quit leaving batteries in most electronic items...too many bad experiences. Had a really nice set voice activated headsets get ruined just like this. Now other than cheap flashlights I leave the batteries out.
This goes for emergency items such as short wave radios, night vision, etc, anything that I don't want ruined.
Just keep them in a pack with the item till ready, then take them back out when not in use. That's the only sure fire way of dealing with battery leakage.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:19:05 PM EDT
[#31]
That's why they say not to leave them in your stuff for however long they say (I think it's 90 days or so), right on the side of the batteries or the packaging, in tiny letters.        

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:34:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
That's why they say not to leave them in your stuff for however long they say (I think it's 90 days or so), right on the side of the batteries or the packaging, in tiny letters.          
View Quote

For stuff you won't be using often, or for stuff that has a very low <500mA draw, or for stuff that's going to be sitting around in a cold/hot enviroment, just spend the $8-$10 on the Energizer EA91/92 Lithium Advanced, or the L91/92 Lithium Ultimates and be done with it.

15 years at 90% vs. 10 years at 80%, 1.8v-1.9v, with little voltage sag, so pick your poison.  They don't leak, do well at the temperature extremes and are about 2/3rds the weight.

This is of course, if you don't already run NiMH rechargeables in the first place.

Chris  
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:24:48 PM EDT
[#33]
are NiMh batteries prone to leak as well? I've been putting them in my car flashlights because I figured they were better than regular alkalines, but if this isn't the case I'll get some lithiums.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:32:49 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

are NiMh batteries prone to leak as well? I've been putting them in my car flashlights because I figured they were better than regular alkalines, but if this isn't the case I'll get some lithiums.
View Quote

Well I haven't seen one leak yet. I do not think so.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top