Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2013 5:59:18 AM EDT

I never used paypal & the 2 or 3 people I talked to about paypal have had their account hacked. Is paypal safe?

Do you use pay pal?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:03:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Send me your email and password for your paypal, and I'll do an in depth analysis of how secure it is and what you can do to improve it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:08:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Send me your email and password for your paypal, and I'll do an in depth analysis of how secure it is and what you can do to improve it.
View Quote

Is this a free service you offer?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:09:36 AM EDT
[#3]
FUCK PAYPAL

FBHO

FUAW

COCK AND BALLS
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:11:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I never used paypal & the 2 or 3 people I talked to about paypal have had their account hacked. Is paypal safe?

Do you use pay pal?
View Quote

They either fell for one of the scam e/mails or are talking shit, either way the ignore them
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:11:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Just dont link your main bank account to it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:12:30 AM EDT
[#6]
It's a double blind payment service, but is not FDIC insured, can be abused by eBay deadbeats who try chargebacks, and can close your account if they think you're selling anything related to firearms.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:14:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup, made a secondary account just for Paypal.  The one time I saw a fraudulent charge, PayPal had caught it, reversed it and notified me.  No complaints in the 11 years I've had my account w/ them.

ETA: As mentioned above, they frown upon using their service for firearms purchases, so there is that.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:16:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Do you use pay pal?
View Quote

Apparently, safer than GPal.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:18:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I've used it quite a lot and never had ANY issues .............
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:18:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yup, made a secondary account just for Paypal.  The one time I saw a fraudulent charge, PayPal had caught it, reversed it and notified me.  No complaints in the 11 years I've had my account w/ them.

ETA: As mentioned above, they frown upon using their service for firearms purchases, so there is that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I closed the checking account associated with PayPal.  They used it initially to set me up as VERIFIED, but for the past 6-7 years now, that account has been closed.  I am still VERIFIED.

I just have to be careful when paying for things.  That old account is the default payment source, so I have to change it to Credit Card each time.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:20:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Won't EVER deal with PayPal, they are a anti-gun company, don't feed the enemy
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:20:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:22:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's why we use "discreet" PP
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:22:34 AM EDT
[#14]
AFAIK, the only problem with PayPal is that they side with buyers over disputes most of the time.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:23:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

You can't be on the internet if your plan is to never give money to anti-gun companies.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:25:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

+99

I have a PP account using one of my credit cards.  I only do about 5 transactions a year thru PP, and it's easy to pay the CC charge online thru my bank.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:25:35 AM EDT
[#17]
PayPal has been owned by eBay for years now. eBay all but demands you use paypal as a seller.

Yes, you can have your paypal account hacked. What I don't like about it is that as a seller on eBay (who used to sell a LOT) you can get screwed very easily. The buyer will dispute the payment due to whatever and as the seller you are out the money, the eBay fees and you are phucked.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:25:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Paypal is probably the largest online payment service in existence. It's safe. I have my only bank account linked to my paypal account - never had any trouble. It also provides a level of fraud protection similar to a credit card.

Amazon Payments is another similar (newer) service you might consider.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:26:02 AM EDT
[#19]
It can be a very useful tool.  I'm sure they have top notch security but the problem is they are a very large juicy target so I be a lot of effort gets put in to cracking them.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:27:56 AM EDT
[#20]
If you use a shit password, have an insecure machine, or have insecure browsing practices, it's not particularly secure.  (Just like anything else)

I've sent and received thousands of dollars through Paypal. Their politics aside, it's a secure service assuming you do your part, and I've never had any problems.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:32:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If you use a shit password, have an insecure machine, or have insecure browsing practices, it's not particularly secure.  (Just like anything else)

I've sent and received thousands of dollars through Paypal. Their politics aside, it's a secure service assuming you do your part, and I've never had any problems.
View Quote

True!  Mal-ware and viruses on your computer are probably the best way for your credit card, paypal or any other account to get compromised.  They just set back and wait for you to login to something juicy and simply trap your keystrokes as you login to said site then fire off the info to their handlers.  

A smart person would have two computers one for internet BS and one for serious stuff.  Be sure to have good security software installed and keep the OS patched to plug all the known security holes.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:40:35 AM EDT
[#22]
I've used PayPal for years without any trouble at all, but I don't sell things through eBay. YMMV.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:43:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah just look at to 100,000 plus gun parts/items  listed daily on e-bay that you have to use paypal to pay for
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:43:56 AM EDT
[#24]
I've been using PP pretty much since the beginning... and I've yet to have an issue with them.

Just fucking pay attention, don't click links in emails (that's how the hackers get you, by "phishing").

Always log in ONLY from trusted sites.

It's really not that hard, people.

Knock on wood.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:52:37 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm no PayPal power user, but haven't had many issues. One of my siblings had their account drained many years ago through fraud unrelated to phishing. They resolved it in her favor.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:54:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've used it quite a lot and never had ANY issues .............
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:54:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Used it manyl times over the last few years - never had a problem..
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:55:07 AM EDT
[#28]
I've been charged for random things, and it got hacked. I got rid of it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:02:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
AFAIK, the only problem with PayPal is that they side with buyers over disputes most of the time.
View Quote

Gee, I wonder how that could be.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:03:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Anti-gun, blah, blah.
I've used and not had a problem for many years,
You will get spoof emails from time to time asking for your PP info.
Not PPs fault.
If there was another player widely used I'd try 'em, but I sell to a wide variety of people and PP is common.
I am using Squre now and try to use that whenever possible.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:05:36 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Do you use pay pal?
View Quote
As a webdood I know full well just how horrible website security really is. I had a paypal account that i used like 1 time. A couple of years later I used it again (for a donation to help fund my buddy's web server fund)

One day out of the blue I received a paypal credit card in the mail and that is when I knew something was wrong.

Someone had opened a paypal credit card (on my paypal account) and made an 1100 charge.    I have a clean machine (don't download random stuff or click links or open files on email)

Major pain in the ass to get it straightened out. (had to dispute the charge then go through paypals bullshit.   Did not show up on my credit report (thank god)

My Paypal account was linked to a hotmail email address so I am not sure where the fault lies.   (hotmail may have got hacked giving access to paypal)  Needless to say I do not use hotmail any longer either. I basically used it as a junk email account for when I didnt want to use my regular email address and I only really checked on it every other month or so.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top