Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2013 5:33:49 PM EDT
Looking at the Roku 2 for my father in law....loves his movies...we got him a Netflix account last year...now wanted to do this so he can stream to his new tv. Anyone here have a review?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:38:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Love the Roku, had it for two years now.  I wish I never had cable which could be a problem for people who love watching sports though.  I built an antenna to watch free over the air channels also.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:42:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Love mine. Works perfectly.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:45:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Been using one since last march. More than happy.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:46:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Cool little box. Hard to go wrong.  Buy with confidence.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:49:36 PM EDT
[#5]
2 years with mine... No complaints.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:49:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, look at ebay, many people who always have to have the new model are buying the 3 and selling the older version. I bought by 2 XD  for less than $40.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:23:40 PM EDT
[#7]
It's a great item. Lots of old TV shows and Movies are available on some of the ROKU channels.I've watched the first season of "The Beverly Hillbillies", "Petticoat Junction", and several other older movies. If he's a fan of bad old sci-fi, he'll love it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:26:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a Roku 3 and love it.  Even have a hard drive attached with USB with a boat load of movies that I can watch from it.

Have a Roku 2 on another TV and it is not as good.  Slower and lacks the above mentioned USB port.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:26:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Not a firsthand review, buy my old roommate had one and he really liked it. It did look pretty neat.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:32:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Just bought a Roku 3 for the GF for Christmas that got delivered today. Looking forward to ditching the cable at her place.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:42:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I just upgraded from the original Roku to the Roku 3.

Pros -  1. I like the fact you can search for a show and it will tell you what channel it's on vs having to change to each channel the search for a show. 2.) Wi-fi connection is faster.
Cons -  Last Sunday, after 3 weeks of using the box, I got audio but no visual. I did get an error message "hdcp unauthorized content disabled" indicating that the HDMI "handshake" between Roku and my LG TV was fubar.  I had to disconnect the HDMI cable and power down the TV and the Roku then connected the HDMI cable and turned on the power and its been working fine.
Meh - It shows a wi-fi connection but you can't stream movies from an external source through the connection unless you install the Roku app on your Droid after which you can stream movies, pictures or music that are stored on your phone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top