Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/18/2013 8:22:33 PM EDT
Could be at an indoor range, outdoor range, "unofficial" outdoor range, in the woods, et cetera; I could use some stories. They can be funny, derpy, crazy, about good days at the range, or out of this world!

I'll start us off with this one...

I was 12, and I was going to go on a range trip with my cousin who had got done with basic training not too long ago. We loaded up the guns, and drove out to left hand canyon/pass (it's in Boulder, CO; can't quite remember the name as it's been years since I've gone shooting up there). There's a quite a few other people shooting up there, and there's this one biker/hippy guy. We get to talking with him, and we end up shooting each other's guns. He had a bolt action savage, a revolver in .38 special (don't remember it too well, I think it was a Taurus), and a ruger mini-14 that looked like it had been picked up off of a road in Sudan. My cousin was shooting his revolver, and after maybe the third shot. We hear a "pop", and it turns out to be a squib load. The biker/hippy takes it and unloads it. He then starts ranting and screaming about his cats shitting and pissing in his gun powder, apparently they thought it was cat litter, and how this often happens to his reloads. My cousin does a and we go to a different area shortly after that.

Now let's hear yours! I've got plenty to share.
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 4:32:06 AM EDT
[#1]
2 of us were at the range giving some instruction to 4H kids. We were at the South end of the range where there are no benches so would could instruct them in position shooting.

At the North end of the range a family came and set up on one of the concrete benches with a new AR15. I didn't pay any attention to them until I heard a boom louder than you should hear from any AR.

I went up there to see what all the commotion was about and the older gentleman that was shooting was very shook up. His AR was destroyed by the first shot from his first ever reloads.

I asked him what his load was and he said 25 grians of powder under a 55 grain bullet. I asked him what powder he was using and he said TITEGROUP. I said you are lucky to be alive.

He assured me he knew what he was doing because he had been in Air Force ordinance. He went on to say that he had checked several manuals and they all said that 25 or 26 grains of powder was the correct charge so he figured that 25 grains of Tite Group would be ok. A friend of mine has a program for figuring velocity and pressure and he calculated that this load was going 6500 fps and pressure would be around 250,000 psi.
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 7:59:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Finding 45LC ammo was almost impossible, so I finally picked up some LRN reloads at a gun show in Austin, to try out in my Judge (which I no longer have, so quitcher yappin). Take it to an indoor range near my house and start shooting. on the third cylinder, I pull the trigger and just hear a slight pop, and watch as the bullet barely trickles out of the 4 inch barrel and ROLLS down the concrete to the end of the range. Stopped shooting that batch asap as I figured, if they undercharged one, they could have doubled up on another.
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 8:06:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Best one I have was a buddy of mine working at one of the few( at the time) indoor ranges around here. Some Russians came in and in their broken English were bragging about how they were spetsnaz...blah blah. My buddy and I went down a few minutes later to shoot. It looked like they were decent shots with handguns, nothing special. they were bragging in their broken English how they could outshoot any American...we were weak...the normal soviet era BS. My buddy was 3 stalls away from them...getting pissed. They wouldn't shut up so he drew his 1911 put two in the chest of their target then two in the head.

They packed up and left
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 8:08:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I used to shoot a whole brick of federal bulk .22, and a couple hundred 9mm 3 times a week.  Did that for several months.

Sad story.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 8:16:03 AM EDT
[#5]
One time I took a good friend of mine shooting for the first time. Went over safety procedures on the car ride over, and again before we shot anything. Had the range to ourselves. He was shooting my AK at the time, and I was standing right behind him. I yelled to him and tapped him on the shoulder to have him stop so I could adjust his form (as we earlier discussed I would), but instead of clearing the weapon and putting it down, he turned around to face me with the AK at his hip, pointing directly at me (at least his finger was off the trigger). Needless to say, our range day was done and I heard about a million apologies on the ride home, haha.
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 8:24:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Best one I have was a buddy of mine working at one of the few( at the time) indoor ranges around here. Some Russians came in and in their broken English were bragging about how they were spetsnaz...blah blah. My buddy and I went down a few minutes later to shoot. It looked like they were decent shots with handguns, nothing special. they were bragging in their broken English how they could outshoot any American...we were weak...the normal soviet era BS. My buddy was 3 stalls away from them...getting pissed. They wouldn't shut up so he drew his 1911 put two in the chest of their target then two in the head.

They packed up and left
View Quote

I would have too.
Your buddy sounds like a hothead.
Why not just challenge them to a friendly competition?
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 8:53:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Had a guy clearing a jammed 1911 right next to me. He had his finger on the trigger and discharged the gun right into the bench next to me.  I was not happy.
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 9:13:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I went out to the range with a buddy of mine once. He brought a couple different rifles, a neat little M1 Carbine, and his grandfather's old .22 revolver. He shot it a couple times, and asked me if I'd like to try it. Of course I would, who doesn't like shooting other peoples' guns? I loaded the cylinder up, snapped it shut, and fired a couple rounds. On the third round, for some reason, the cylinder didn't line up with the barrel. It lined up with the round centered on the forcing cone. The round fired, and a spray of lead blew out everywhere. I had a couple small cuts on my hands, but walked away with all my fingers intact. I was glad it was only a .22!
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 9:19:09 AM EDT
[#9]
I was at the indoor range one day and there were a couple of guys at the gun counter who looked like pissed off convenience store clerks (Indian) who had just been repeatedly robbed over the last week.  I didn't pay them much mind and I went on to shoot on the range. About 15 minutes later the two come in with their pistol and a target and go to bay between myself and the one other guy shooting.

They fiddle fart with the target for a while, then fiddle fart with the gun for a while. I kept trying to keep an eye out to make sure I wasn't muzzle swept. They finally rolled a ZB27 target out at 8ft and I could see two outstretched hands hold the pistol out birdman style and start yanking the trigger.

They emptied the mag.

Not one hole in the actual silhouette. I think 3 rounds actually hit the edge of the paper, I dunno where the fuck the other rounds went.

The other guy on the range backed out of his bay just stood back in shock. I laughed my ass off and kept shooting head shots on my target.

They packed up their shit and left.

That's about my only range story, except getting hit in the ankle with a 45 ricochet. It went damn near straight up, bounced off the roof of the shelter we were under, rolled down the side, bounced off the post and rolled off my ankle. Didn't have enough force in it to punch a hole in a kleenex. Exhilarating none the less.
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 9:19:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Went to a double overhead skeet range with an old saiga twenty, my buddies all had mossbergs or 870s. The pretentious over under crowd was being obnoxious and talking a ton of shit, and fussing about our dumb guns.

Went back next weekend with same friends (still a little drunk) and jumped in a pick up game against some Olympic commandos. This time I had a side by side coach with two triggers, and my buddies judge in my waist band. The looks of disgust were awesome, especially when I smoked the first clay by pulling both triggers, and then dropped the coach and drew the judge and emptied it at the other clay while my friends cheered.

I didn't hit it and we got kicked off the range.
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 10:03:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Went to a double overhead skeet range with an old saiga twenty, my buddies all had mossbergs or 870s. The pretentious over under crowd was being obnoxious and talking a ton of shit, and fussing about our dumb guns.

Went back next weekend with same friends (still a little drunk) and jumped in a pick up game against some Olympic commandos. This time I had a side by side coach with two triggers, and my buddies judge in my waist band. The looks of disgust were awesome, especially when I smoked the first clay by pulling both triggers, and then dropped the coach and drew the judge and emptied it at the other clay while my friends cheered.

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/19/2013 10:57:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Privates gonna private.
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 11:16:46 AM EDT
[#13]
I was at a local indoor range last year.It was me(farthest left stall) and just another shooter(guy was in his early fifties I would estimate at a middle stall)) on a Friday night after work. About 15 min after I set up these to kids(21-25) come in there loud and obnoxious and they set up at the far right stall. They think it is funny to start shooting at the older guys target just after he pushes the knob to send it down field. They start waving the gun around like its cowboys and Indians time as well.

Older guy tells them to cut the shit,the kids tell him to fuck off.

The older guy walks over and full on slaps each of them across the face(Ike Turner style) not punch, but slap. He then takes there gun away(It looked like a G19) and disassembles it but keeps the barrel. He tells the kids when they can act like adults and act safely around guns they can get the barrel back.

The kids start posturing saying they are going to call the cops and how one of there Dad's is an attorney blah blah blah. The kids leave and tell the guy working the range counter what happened. Well wouldn't you know it the guy in his fifties was the owner of the range.

Every time I visit the range now I ask him if he still has the barrel he just smiles and says I guess the kids never learned how grow up and pats his breast pocket.
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 11:28:32 AM EDT
[#14]
I used to shoot at a range in East Texas.  One day my brother and I were burning ammo and an elderly gentleman arrived.  I don't recall what he was shooting, but he was interested in our milsurps.  He had some sort of East European accent.

Come to find out that he was a retired forestry prof from the local university.  He had been a very young teenager in Hungary near the end of WWII and was conscripted into some SS outfit to serve as a bullet magnet.  He said the first chance he could he ran away and hid until the end of the war.  He was able to get a visa years later.  He was up front with his story.

Seemed straight.  I checked into his story with people in the know and they confirmed it.  He had a strong interest in the Steyr straight pull system.  He asked for an en bloc clip and some Hungarian not Nazi marked fired casings.  I sent them to him, got a nice letter in return and a magazine article on the best loads for the rifle.

I suspect he has passed away.
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 11:38:44 AM EDT
[#15]
While not at a range, but deer hunting camp;
I had a cousin that I did not get along with.  I was shooting a bolt action 22 cal rifle at some pop cans, yes steel can,.  I put five round in the mag and knocked over five cans.  The cousin wanted to shoot so I told him to set up the cans.  While he did I reloaded the rifle.  He shot five shots and none of the cans fell over.  I put five more rounds in the rifle and knocked over five cans.  Cousin wanted to try again and again I told him to go set up the cans.  I again reloaded the rifle and again he fired five shots. As before none of the cans fell over.  This went on for two more rounds.  Cousin was not getting any better and was getting a little on the pissed side.  He then took a look at the brass that was one the ground and questioned why there was a difference in the length of the brass.  That is when he discovered that I was loading 'blanks' in the rifle when he went down to set up the cans.  He really got PISSED then.  All of the growen ups there had a good laugh!
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 11:56:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Shot an IDPA classifier (unofficially) in 89.9 secs using a G34 a couple weeks ago.  I felt good about myself.  First time shooting master doing that.
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 6:24:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I went out to the range with a buddy of mine once. He brought a couple different rifles, a neat little M1 Carbine, and his grandfather's old .22 revolver. He shot it a couple times, and asked me if I'd like to try it. Of course I would, who doesn't like shooting other peoples' guns? I loaded the cylinder up, snapped it shut, and fired a couple rounds. On the third round, for some reason, the cylinder didn't line up with the barrel. It lined up with the round centered on the forcing cone. The round fired, and a spray of lead blew out everywhere. I had a couple small cuts on my hands, but walked away with all my fingers intact. I was glad it was only a .22!
View Quote

That's crazy. I was in Montana once, and I went out with a cousin and several of his friends to an outdoor shooting area in the woods near Helena, outside of York. I was to the right of his cousin, who had a Hesse FAL, he fired a few rounds, and nothing happened. He then fired one, and HOLY SHIT! I'M IN PAIN! It fired out battery and the case ruptured sending brass shrapnel into my left bicep and the side of my neck. One of my cousin's friends offered to pull out the pieces with a leatherman, which I declined. We ended up driving to a clinic/urgent care to have them removed. I got two pea-sized keloid scars out of it, which were later removed by a dermatologist.
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 7:00:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I was at the indoor range one day and there were a couple of guys at the gun counter who looked like pissed off convenience store clerks (Indian) who had just been repeatedly robbed over the last week.  I didn't pay them much mind and I went on to shoot on the range. About 15 minutes later the two come in with their pistol and a target and go to bay between myself and the one other guy shooting.

They fiddle fart with the target for a while, then fiddle fart with the gun for a while. I kept trying to keep an eye out to make sure I wasn't muzzle swept. They finally rolled a ZB27 target out at 8ft and I could see two outstretched hands hold the pistol out birdman style and start yanking the trigger.

They emptied the mag.

Not one hole in the actual silhouette. I think 3 rounds actually hit the edge of the paper, I dunno where the fuck the other rounds went.

The other guy on the range backed out of his bay just stood back in shock. I laughed my ass off and kept shooting head shots on my target.

They packed up their shit and left.

That's about my only range story, except getting hit in the ankle with a 45 ricochet. It went damn near straight up, bounced off the roof of the shelter we were under, rolled down the side, bounced off the post and rolled off my ankle. Didn't have enough force in it to punch a hole in a kleenex. Exhilarating none the less.
View Quote

BIRDMAN weapon systems?

Link Posted: 11/19/2013 7:02:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/19/2013 7:20:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Two friends and I were on a tac pit at the old Collin County Gun Range in McKinney a few years before it was shut down by the city. There was an IDPA or IPSC match going on in another one of the bays there, but we were having all kinds of fun, just the three of us, setting up courses of fire with pepper poppers, IPSC targets, no-shoot targets, blue barrels as obstacles, etc. We would take turns setting up the range and then have the other guys go through it, then start over. A good way to burn up a couple hundred rounds and have a good time.

At a certain point a few of the guys who were at the range for the match came into the back of the semi-enclosed tac pit to see what we were up to, and one asked if he could shoot the stuff we set up. We said sure, and told him how it worked. Shooter ready? Stand by...GO!

He was movin' and shootin', snappin' and poppin' and having a good time. He shot some stuff over a barricade, around a plywood panel and then down on his side to shoot under a low barricade. Once he was done we were checking out and pasting up the targets, and he looked down and his face went white. He looked at my friends and I and stammered out...

"I scratched my holster!"

He turned and walked out and that was it. My friends and I had the grace to wait until he was out of the tac pit to start laughing uproariously and mimicking his wailing tone.
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 8:14:51 PM EDT
[#21]
While at the range for a couple of hours a single mother shows up with her two sons toting a rifle with a trigger lock.  I guess the boys are about 8 and 13 seemed like good kids.They had everything  -ammo, targets, eye protection, and hearing protection  She gets the range office and tells him she just bought the rifle and they have never shot a gun. RO spent some time working with them. I hope they stuck with it and are still shooting.  Anyway, I thought it was pretty cool for a mother to do that.
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 8:25:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
While not at a range, but deer hunting camp;
I had a cousin that I did not get along with.  I was shooting a bolt action 22 cal rifle at some pop cans, yes steel can,.  I put five round in the mag and knocked over five cans.  The cousin wanted to shoot so I told him to set up the cans.  While he did I reloaded the rifle.  He shot five shots and none of the cans fell over.  I put five more rounds in the rifle and knocked over five cans.  Cousin wanted to try again and again I told him to go set up the cans.  I again reloaded the rifle and again he fired five shots. As before none of the cans fell over.  This went on for two more rounds.  Cousin was not getting any better and was getting a little on the pissed side.  He then took a look at the brass that was one the ground and questioned why there was a difference in the length of the brass.  That is when he discovered that I was loading 'blanks' in the rifle when he went down to set up the cans.  He really got PISSED then.  All of the growen ups there had a good laugh!
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/19/2013 8:29:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Could be at an indoor range, outdoor range, "unofficial" outdoor range, in the woods, et cetera; I could use some stories. They can be funny, derpy, crazy, about good days at the range, or out of this world!

I'll start us off with this one...

I was 12, and I was going to go on a range trip with my cousin who had got done with basic training not too long ago. We loaded up the guns, and drove out to left hand canyon/pass (it's in Boulder, CO; can't quite remember the name as it's been years since I've gone shooting up there). There's a quite a few other people shooting up there, and there's this one biker/hippy guy. We get to talking with him, and we end up shooting each other's guns. He had a bolt action savage, a revolver in .38 special (don't remember it too well, I think it was a Taurus), and a ruger mini-14 that looked like it had been picked up off of a road in Sudan. My cousin was shooting his revolver, and after maybe the third shot. We hear a "pop", and it turns out to be a squib load. The biker/hippy takes it and unloads it. He then starts ranting and screaming about his cats shitting and pissing in his gun powder, apparently they thought it was cat litter, and how this often happens to his reloads. My cousin does a and we go to a different area shortly after that.

Now let's hear yours! I've got plenty to share.
View Quote

lol wut

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagay.gif
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 8:36:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Shot at an open range up in the mntns in Ventura, California.

Was there with 3 other guys who were total strangers. We all had semis, I had my L1A1, the other was an SKS, another was an AK and another was an AR. Nice guys.....we all were fine until an old dude came and he set up in the range...and proceeded to smoke.

We all looked at each other and said whatever

we go out to setup target at 100 yards and we all bring out guns with us because..well he didn't set up target..he just sat there and smoked.....

while we were setting up target....he starts shooting at his targets whatever it was being he never setup on up....WHILE WE WERE DOWN RANGE.
We were all screaming and running back to the 0 line and he was just shooting until the SKS man sighted up his Jeep and took a shot at it.....he wasn't paying any attention to it until he fired a shot and it hit the ground and sparked.....

THAT GOT HIS ATTENTION..he looks up from his rifle and saw all 4 of us running towards him.....from the side....he packed up real fast and took off......

we all looked at each other and the perfect scene that would match it was the very end of Kellies Heroes walking up to the tiger tank.

This was Ventura County California 1999 just before Y2k scare.

Link Posted: 11/19/2013 8:36:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
2 of us were at the range giving some instruction to 4H kids. We were at the South end of the range where there are no benches so would could instruct them in position shooting.

At the North end of the range a family came and set up on one of the concrete benches with a new AR15. I didn't pay any attention to them until I heard a boom louder than you should hear from any AR.

I went up there to see what all the commotion was about and the older gentleman that was shooting was very shook up. His AR was destroyed by the first shot from his first ever reloads.

I asked him what his load was and he said 25 grians of powder under a 55 grain bullet. I asked him what powder he was using and he said TITEGROUP. I said you are lucky to be alive.

He assured me he knew what he was doing because he had been in Air Force ordinance. He went on to say that he had checked several manuals and they all said that 25 or 26 grains of powder was the correct charge so he figured that 25 grains of Tite Group would be ok. A friend of mine has a program for figuring velocity and pressure and he calculated that this load was going 6500 fps and pressure would be around 250,000 psi.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/19/2013 8:59:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Asshole at the range was saying my Para PDA .45 was a POS,and it would never work right.

He wouldn't stop praising his stupid Kimber as being the holy grail of firearms.

My Para never skipped a beat,putting round after round on target.

Meanwhile his beloved Kimber couldn't even make it through one mag without choking and jamming atleast every other round.

Guys at the range laughed at him until he just up and left.

Link Posted: 11/19/2013 9:21:22 PM EDT
[#27]
This one time at band camp...

Actually it was Camp Pendelton, at the time I was with a Reserve Engineer's company and we were doing our two weeks summer drill. A weapons company had set up a several M60s and a few M2s all on tripods for a familiarization fire exercise. We had been there for a while burning through beau coup rounds and I was in the middle of the row of M60s feeding the belt for the Marine on the trigger. The 60 at my back, just a few feet away, paused firing for some reason and a round on the platen cooked off. Well that piece of hot brass hit me in the ass and scared the shit outta me. I thought I'd been shot cause it hit hard enough to leave a welt.

One interesting thing was this. We were shooting across a ravine at fifty gallon drums a few hundred yards away. When our tracers would start a grass fire on the opposite hill (this happened several times), one of the weapons platoon guys would hustle over, take over a 60 and hose the dirt around the fire and put it out. Putting out a fire with live fire, very cool.

And for anyone that has never done it, shooting a Ma Deuce for shits and giggles is a real hoot.
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 9:33:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Two friends and I were on a tac pit at the old Collin County Gun Range in McKinney a few years before it was shut down by the city. There was an IDPA or IPSC match going on in another one of the bays there, but we were having all kinds of fun, just the three of us, setting up courses of fire with pepper poppers, IPSC targets, no-shoot targets, blue barrels as obstacles, etc. We would take turns setting up the range and then have the other guys go through it, then start over. A good way to burn up a couple hundred rounds and have a good time.

At a certain point a few of the guys who were at the range for the match came into the back of the semi-enclosed tac pit to see what we were up to, and one asked if he could shoot the stuff we set up. We said sure, and told him how it worked. Shooter ready? Stand by...GO!

He was movin' and shootin', snappin' and poppin' and having a good time. He shot some stuff over a barricade, around a plywood panel and then down on his side to shoot under a low barricade. Once he was done we were checking out and pasting up the targets, and he looked down and his face went white. He looked at my friends and I and stammered out...

He turned and walked out and that was it. My friends and I had the grace to wait until he was out of the tac pit to start laughing uproariously and mimicking his wailing tone.
View Quote

I miss that range only one that's as worth a shit. Fuckin city shutting it down over b.s still makes me mad.
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 9:36:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I miss that range only one that's as worth a shit. Fuckin city shutting it down over b.s still makes me mad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What did it get shut down over?
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 9:48:23 PM EDT
[#30]
I went to BillsGS a while back to get used to my SA Champion. Brought the Ruger 10/22 as well for some friends to plink with. On our way in, I spot a guy and his son walk up to the counter to return their rental. Looked like they were from India. I look down in the case to see a bunch of loose rounds and the pistol locked open on a partial mag. Not sure if it was hung up at the feed ramp, but I could clearly see the top round in the mag and a slide ready to drop. The employee at the counter was not too happy.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 5:25:26 AM EDT
[#31]
In March 1969 A company 1/46 Infantry of the 198th Ligh Infantry Brigade got in a dozen Fucking New Guys. We were in the foot hills of the Anam Cordillera.

Introductions were made and it was late in the day so we started moving toward where we planned to make night camp, One of the FNGs was in the column directly ahead of the company commander. He tripped and as he was going down he dumped an entire magazine at the feet of the guy in front of him. Captian Stanford kicked him in the ass so hard it litterally lifted him off the ground.

Captain Stanford made him walk around in the jungle for 3 days without a rifle.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 8:16:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well there's your problem right there.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 9:26:03 AM EDT
[#33]
One time at bandcamp...................

Grafenwoehr Training Area, mid 1980's, direct fire range for 155mm howitzers.  Targets were M113's and AMX13's lined up in front of a tall berm about 500 meters out.  One of the sections in our battery, missed the target and skipped the projo off the top of the berm.  The jo kept going down range and finally detonated about 7 km away, in the middle of a rifle range.  No one was injured, but the "Cease Fire Freeze, face away from the Piece!" sucked.

For those of you that have never seen a M113 cut in half by 15 pounds of Comp B, it is a very impressive sight.  

Link Posted: 11/20/2013 9:43:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

I remember that range. Too bad it closed down.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 9:46:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If i remember correctly, it was closed due to a stink raised by a home owner/home owner association about the noise, danger etc. EVEN THOUGH THE RANGE HAD BEEN THERE BEFORE THE DEVELOPMENT WAS BUILT.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 9:51:00 AM EDT
[#36]
We get home from the range Monday and my wife says to me " my gun is really filthy and I noticed a lot of dirty black smoke when I was shooting it.

That's when I told her that she was shooting .22 LR that was a little over 40 years old.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 10:00:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/20/2013 10:05:20 AM EDT
[#38]
I was at a local indoor range picking up something I'd had transferred. This range seems to have a lot of tards in it on the regular and more than its fair share of ghetto... but the employees are good and the transfers are smooth and cheap...

So there's a group of wanna-be security guards there for their firearms training and most of them seem ok... but there's this one woman.... She had the accent like she was straight out of Africa and hardly understood anything the instructor was telling her. He had to physically keep his hands on her in the lane to keep her from backing out to sweep everyone else. She'd start to shoot and close both eyes before the trigger would break, resulting in the expected shot into nowhere. She then proceeded to turn around, sweep everyone AND the instructor to ask what had happened. He still didn't kick her out. She did this several times while I was in the other room watching behind the glass.

Once they came out of the lanes to shop, she finger fucked a Hi-Point, tried her best to break it and swept the whole shop. The employee there snatched the gun away and told her to GTFO then bitched out the instructor for letting her in at all.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 10:13:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lies.  Everyone who gets shot with a 45 explodes into a fine red mist
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 10:25:23 AM EDT
[#40]
not my story but happened at the local range
hole in the wall place out in the woods
the rifle range is more or less a very small lane or path cut through the woods and a berm about 300 yards down
a member is looking through his scope when all of a sudden everything goes fuzzy behind his target
two kids on a fourwheeler driving up the rifle range
a very active at the time range at that.

dont think it really ever sunk in with the kids but the member was shook up pretty bad
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 10:39:16 AM EDT
[#41]
In college I took my dad's Ithaca double barrel (full/extra full) with me to a friend's house for the weekend to shoot some clays.  While I was running the thrower the guys shooting on the line missed the clay and it kept sailing...  I picked up the shotgun and broke it about 5 feet off the ground when it was probably 100 yards out using the extra full barrel...  It didn't dust it, but you could tell it broke it.  The guys on the line turned around with a "how'd you do that?" look on their faces.  They were using modified chokes... extra full will help it reach WAY out there...  On the other hand, when it was my turn to shoot, if I tried to hit them right off of the thrower I'd typically miss since the pattern was so small.  When I did get lucky and hit one, though... it just went poof.

Caught a piece of bullet jacket from a .30/06 round in the shin at an indoor range one time (went through my pants).  Also, besides being insanely loud (with muffs and ear plugs), the blast off it really sucks when it's bouncing off a concrete wall close-by.  I never shot my 700 ADL inside again.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 11:01:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

He then starts ranting and screaming about his cats shitting and pissing in his gun powder, apparently they thought it was cat litter, and how this often happens to his reloads.
View Quote

That's fucking awesome.
no time now. tagged for my contribution later.

Edited to ad:

At an outdoor private range. It's rarely monitored, so many non-members show up and shoot.

Two guys show up with their girlfriends (all about 22 to 25 years old).
They're all shooting the same POS Davis/Jennings .25 or something without eye or ear protection.

They were next to a guy who was getting ready to touch off a .300 Win. Mag.  
One of the boyfriends was shooting the POS and I warned him the other guy was going to shoot.
The boyfriend covers his ears with his hands. POS is still in his gun hand with finger on the trigger.

I corrected him immediately.

I've got plenty more I'll save for later on in the thread. Don't want to type a wall of text.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 11:13:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Shooting in a small indoor range all by myself. A guy comes in and sets up on the lane to my right. I see his target go out and hear him begin shooting. While looking down my sights i see something in my peripheral vision on my right moving downrange. I stop and peek around the barrier and see him holding his .25 pistol at arms length as if ready to fire. He can't quite get a good sight picture because the sights as well as the slide are gone. Flew right off the front and landed ten feet in front of him. He stood there for a good while trying to figure out what went wrong.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 11:17:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

You went to a range a little drunk?
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 11:30:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Being young and very stupid I decided to shoot some close range steel.  I forget what it was but it was a big piece scrap steel I found on the family farm.  Started off shooting my brand new P229 in 40, couple rounds later a round flies back and strikes me in the stomach.  Bounced off but broke the skin.  Got a little bruise out of that.  You would have thought that would have been lesson learned but nope.  Take out my SBR, start plinking at the same piece of steel around the fourth or fifth round I feel what I though was a bee sting just below my ankle.  I had what looked like 30% of the copper jacket in my leg, no lead just the jacket in a twisted mangled piece lodged just below the skin in my leg.  Came out easy enough.  Took me two times to figure out, hey shit for brains don't do that.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 11:31:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Shot at an open range up in the mntns in Ventura, California.

Was there with 3 other guys who were total strangers. We all had semis, I had my L1A1, the other was an SKS, another was an AK and another was an AR. Nice guys.....we all were fine until an old dude came and he set up in the range...and proceeded to smoke.

View Quote

HE SMOKED! Outside?
Oh, you're from California. Carry on.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 11:34:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Had to be to pull off antics like that on the range. "Pretentious over/under crowd" indeed.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 11:34:30 AM EDT
[#48]
I was at  the  gun range  and some idiot telemarketer kept calling my #  I finally picked with shooting going on in the back ground
after a few seconds I said HAY  you hear that   .... I am if Afghanistan getting shot at  you ass wipe  and promptly hung up no more telemarker calls that day
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 11:36:30 AM EDT
[#49]
One time when I was about 19 I was at an outdoor 100 yard range. I could not really shoot pistols then but had been raised on rifles. A guy showed up and put his target at 100 yards. He was maybe 40 and had a belt with his name on the back. It said "Corley". He then proceeded to pull out a long barreled Super Blackhawk 44 Magnum and blaze away at the 100 yard target offhand while wearing gloves. I mean bang, bang, bang. Shooting fast. I thought he was some kind of crazy guy.

When it came time to go downrange I looked at his target and to my amazement all his shots were in the black. It was about an 8" bullseye. I couldn't believe it. I started talking to him and he said he was into long range pistol shooting and used to shoot at bouys in the Mississippi River at really long distances.

Witnessing that changed my life as far as pistol shooting. I realized a magnum handgun in the right hands was a rifle.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 11:39:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Had to be to pull off antics like that on the range. "Pretentious over/under crowd" indeed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is the old saying, if ten men tell you you're drunk you better lay down.  This seems appropriate.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top