Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2013 3:42:23 PM EDT
Haven't seen any in ages. If there is any out there, what are you guys paying for it/

Also, how much are Mod. 48 Mausers going for nowadays. W, bayo, oil can, etc.?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 3:43:12 PM EDT
[#1]
For a decent shooter German around 500
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 3:45:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I have not seen surplus 8mm for many, many years.

When it was cheap, all the 1919 owners put 8mm kits on their MG's and ripped through it all.

I got a bunch back when it was $4.95 for 70 rounds on strippers and in a bandoleer.

Such is life.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:28:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I saw a guy drop $150 for a spam-can of 380rds of Romanian 8mm at the gun show last Saturday.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:30:15 PM EDT
[#4]
m&m
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:31:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow. Glad I laid back a bunch of Romanian on Mauser strippers when I was working at an importer. Dock cost +10% was a steal on anything we bought.
I think I have 7 or 8 cases left
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:33:05 PM EDT
[#6]
$35 per 900 rounds.  $12 delivery for any quantity.

At Century Arms -about six or so years ago.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:35:48 PM EDT
[#7]
8mm
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:36:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

uh....its been more than six years.........
I stood and looked at 60 million rounds of 7.92mm ball sitting in their warehouse.......
I still have a few cases bought at that price you quote.
I was dumb not to have bought tens of thousands........oh well.....

There is no more on the horizon. Just new production.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:39:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
8mm
View Quote

I bought a Remington 700 Classic in 8mm Mauser when they were introduced just due to the
amount of cheap ammo out there. A bunch of us did, including the Editor of Gun World, Jan Libourel.

Your link is a good indication its time to yank the tube off my rifle and replace it with something else
as soon as I shoot the rest of the ammo I have........
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:45:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

When it was cheap, all the 1919 owners put 8mm kits on their MG's and ripped through it all.
I got a bunch back when it was $4.95 for 70 rounds on strippers and in a bandoleer.

Such is life.
View Quote

Yes. Me too!  Still have a ton of Turk, Romanian and Yugo. Back then it was so cheap it was practically at scrap metal prices.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:46:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Such is life.
View Quote

Just wait until they make one in 54r.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:52:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Today, I was in a pawn shop looking at a Yugo M48 that was pristine and fingerbanging a G43 that hasn't been priced yet.
Too bad about the ammo situation...
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:52:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Such is life.

Not  quite  as  easy  to  convert  to  a  rimmed  cartridge  like  the  7.62x54r . If  there  were  more  PKMs  over  here  and  legally  running , you  would  see  it  vanish
quickly .
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:55:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I thought this was a thread about the Nic Cage film...*backs out of room*
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:02:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Two months ago I paid $35 for 360 rounds in an ammo can.  From a buddy "I have no idea how I ended up with this, I don't even own a Mauser."  

3 years ago I think I paid $185 for my Mauser.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:02:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I stood and looked at 60 million rounds of 7.92mm ball sitting in their warehouse.......

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, that was right around six years ago.  Maybe 7.  I was buying 8mm for that price (or around that price) right after I bought my K98, which was shortly after I turned 18.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:54:00 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't get it. Why do you guys put yourself at the mercy of a fickle market? Although I bought mil surp ammo when it was cheap, it wasn't to hard to see there was a finite amount in the pipeline and the day when the pipe would run dry would not be in the distant future.

So what is a guy to do?  RELOAD! Buy bullets and some brass. 500 pieces of 8mm Mauser or 7.62x54R brass may seem expensive until you realize that it can be reloaded a lot of times before it goes in the scrap bucket. And you will be shooting quality bullets out of quality brass without the hassle of corrosive primers.

People lamenting the passing of cheap and plentiful ammo are very short sighted IMO.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:57:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yes. Me too!  Still have a ton of Turk, Romanian and Yugo. Back then it was so cheap it was practically at scrap metal prices.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Such is life.

I was paying $3.00 for the 70rd stripper clips when I was 16. 9 years ago. just bought 800 rds for $200 last year.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 7:06:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I don't get it. Why do you guys put yourself at the mercy of a fickle market? Although I bought mil surp ammo when it was cheap, it wasn't to hard to see there was a finite amount in the pipeline and the day when the pipe would run dry would not be in the distant future.

So what is a guy to do?  RELOAD! Buy bullets and some brass. 500 pieces of 8mm Mauser or 7.62x54R brass may seem expensive until you realize that it can be reloaded a lot of times before it goes in the scrap bucket. And you will be shooting quality bullets out of quality brass without the hassle of corrosive primers.

People lamenting the passing of cheap and plentiful ammo are very short sighted IMO.
View Quote

Yep.  For the price of a decent pistol, one can have a nice SS reloading setup with accessories.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 7:39:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bought 2 of those came with a cetme bayo I still have one in the box I never opened. It takes awhile shooting ammo thru bolt action .
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 7:46:13 PM EDT
[#22]

Holy   fuck . That  isn't  even  the  m75 . ( 80s yugo )
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 7:48:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:00:06 PM EDT
[#24]
I think it is a great cartridge.  I have always had a "thing" for the Yugoslavian M76 semi-auto rifle.  The one that looks like a cross between an AK47 and a Dragunov.  If I could find a reasonably accurate one, the 8mm makes it a very effective rifle.  The problem is that for the cost, I can get a DPMS LR308 for quite a bit less, and I am almost assured that it will shoot better, and be much easier to get parts for.

The last M76 I bought kept having case head separations, regardless of which year of surplis 8mm ammo I used.  I contacted the manufacturer, and they said that they would only warranty the rifle if I used PMS ammo in it.  I pointed out that this was not disclosed in the sale information..they were kind enough to refund my money.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:03:11 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote
When you have machine guns in it buy in bulk because reloading will not cut it. There is still 28 cases of Rommy 8mm in the garage bought when it was $60 a case.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top