Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/29/2013 11:06:29 AM EDT
What the hell? I am thinking about getting a very small, non-shedding house dog around Christmas for my youngest son. The coonhound isn't welcome inside the house.  

There's the big push to "not buy from pet stores... don't perpetuate puppy mills... etc."... I understand that. BUT, I sent out inquiries about pup availability around late December to some reputable breeders to see if there would be any ready around that time.

I guess now to get a dog, you need to fill out a lengthy pre-interview questionnaire, have at least one (but sometimes more than one) in-person interviews, at least one home inspection, and one breeder even requires an agreement to have a yearly, ongoing inspection of my home in order for her to sell me a pup!

WTF? I like dogs, and I understand some get mistreated, but this is just insane.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:09:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Getting a dog from the shelter isn't much easier.  Multi-page application, interview(s), references that they actually call, etc.

It is a bit cheaper than a breeder, though.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:11:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Must be a state by state thing, around here it's pretty easy to go to a shelter and leave with a dog fairly quickly.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:11:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't sell you a pup either.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:11:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Pretty normal if  you're getting a purebred from a reputable breeder... They don't want their dogs to go to shitheels, and don't want to damage their blood lines. The value of a Grand Champion sire or dame does depreciate the more of it's progeny are out there.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:12:49 AM EDT
[#5]
We were looking for a boxer to add to the family and checked into a couple of rescue groups and found what you did.  Both had things like unannounced follow up visits and they could take the dog at any time.

I am all for making sure dogs go to good homes, but it was pretty insane stuff.  It would not have ended well for someone to come to my door demanding to take a dog from my house.

We found a local shelter and have wonderful mess of a dog, but she is our mess.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:12:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I should note that all the breeders I've heard from are named Peggy, Candace, Shirley, etc.

Not a single "Bob" or "Chuck" or "Larry" anywhere in there...  

Are dog breeders just a more socially accepted form of cat ladies??
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:14:17 AM EDT
[#7]
We walked into a boutique shop south of here (specialize in small dogs), found the one we liked, paid, got the vet paperwork and AKC info, and walked out.

We could have bought them ALL if we'd brought enough money.

Year of suitability visits?  FUCK THAT.  That breeder can kiss my sack, they'd never receive a dime from me.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:16:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wouldn't sell you a pup either.  
View Quote

Those Predator Drone videos SUPPOSEDLY taken in my backyard are lies, ALL LIES!!
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:16:44 AM EDT
[#9]
You would be surprised at the people who get dogs.  

I used to work for a vet and we partnered with one of the big organizations in town.  People are utter and complete POS when it comes to dogs.  One of the questions on our questionnaire was "How much do you expect to spend on the dog in a year and can you afford it?"

People would typically put $50, $100, etc for something the size of a lab.  You can't feed a lab for a month on $50.  

Ah, then there was the poor bastard that adopted The Beagle.  I still feel bad for the guy.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:18:33 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I should note that all the breeders I've heard from are named Peggy, Candace, Shirley, etc.

View Quote

Largely depends on the breed, but often yes.  For instance Lab breeders tend to be alright folks, but someone that breeds something like Bichons are guaranteed to be freaking weirdos.  

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:19:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Not a dog but my wife tried to adopt a cat once from a pet store...............the questionnare looked like an NSA interrogation sheet, and they were going to schedule visits for the welfare of the animal, and if anything was amiss they would take the animal from her. We left without finishing. Same rules for dogs as well
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:22:12 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd never pass any type of inspection because of my hunting dog, I'd imagine.

I have a 10x10 kennel that has her food, water and box in it but it remains open for her to roam the yard unless I'm expecting the UPS guy or whatever. I built the dog box myself, it's double walled, fully insulated, partitioned and in two sections... completely filled with loose straw from fall through spring. She only needs to spend the night in the garage on the coldest of the winter nights... I've checked it and it's quite comfortable in there even when it's 25 degrees out.

That won't fly with the inspectors, I'd imagine.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:22:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Ha, just went through all this.....they ask if you've ever had a dog before and when you answer yes - they ask for your vet name and number to check up on that too! It's a "breeders market" right now.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:23:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Getting a dog from the shelter isn't much easier.  Multi-page application, interview(s), references that they actually call, etc.

It is a bit cheaper than a breeder, though.
View Quote

Ain't that the truth. I was thinking about taking in a shelter cat and the bitch behind the counter wouldn't even give me an app because she thought I "Wouldn't be able to provide it a good home.". Every cat I have ever had has been fixed, healthy and happy, even when I had so many that the crazy cat ladies were telling me to take it down a notch
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:24:09 AM EDT
[#15]
When we picked up our Dog, we were required to drive down there and visit with the breeder before he would agree to let us get him. Turns out the breeder was Bernie right down to the way he talked. Very strange man, but he seemed genuine with the dogs and really cared about who they went home with.

Pic of dag.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:24:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Pretty normal if  you're getting a purebred from a reputable breeder... They don't want their dogs to go to shitheels, and don't want to damage their blood lines. The value of a Grand Champion sire or dame does depreciate the more of it's progeny are out there.
View Quote

Most legit breeders neuter before you get them to prevent that.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:25:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Maybe see if you have any friends that are looking to find a new home for their dog?

That's what happened with a friend of ours, she has a wonderful schnauzer that she dotes on.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:25:41 AM EDT
[#18]
We found the same thing when we were thinking about getting a dog. Multi-page applications, reference from a vet (kind of hard to get if you don't already have a pet!). Home inspections. Etc, etc.

I understand that people, especially those who rescue dogs, don't want them to go to bad homes, but the pure aggravation of trying to get a pet from these people only pushes prospective pet owners to go to pet stores, puppy mills, and people in the Wal-mart parking lot.

I expect we will hear from some of these special people here in this thread.

ETA: The only requirement when we got our cat from the city shelter was that he had to come back and get neutered, which is State Law here in Texas.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:27:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Recently while looking for a kitten for my youngest child one of the people we contacted used the phrase "fur babies". I immediately told the wife to hang up the phone.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:27:46 AM EDT
[#20]
So where's the underground black market on dogs?  

Is there a dog show loophole I can exploit?

I shouldn't have to have a NICS check to get a puppy... I have 2 kids and never had to fill out a questionnaire or pass an inspection to get them.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:28:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Yes its retarded, a no kill shelter told us to leave whne my wife offhandedly mentioned that the husky hybrid we were thinking of getting might spend some time outside alone in the country (the horror)

I guess they would rather the dogs spend their lives in a 6x4 cage.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:28:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Recently while looking for a kitten for my youngest child one of the people we contacted used the phrase "fur babies". I immediately told the wife to hang up the phone.

View Quote

I saw a forum post (while researching dog breeds) where one woman said her "fur kids are exactly the same as a human baby, except they can't talk."

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:29:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:31:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not if you're getting an 8 week old pup... They might rehome older breeders and fix those before rehoming, but not puppies.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:32:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have a neuter agreement you have to sign promising to get it done but no, it's not standard to neuter at 6-12 weeks.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:32:15 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Ha, just went through all this.....they ask if you've ever had a dog before and when you answer yes - they ask for your vet name and number to check up on that too! It's a "breeders market" right now.

View Quote

Fuck that shit.  I'd just go to a pet store or puppy mill at that point.  I give them money, they give me dag.

I've got no issue with some questions to weed out the worst of the worst.  But a lot of the shit that some of these groups do is ridiculous and doesn't do the cause of getting dogs into good homes any favors.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:40:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Fuck that, just find a breed you like.  Do a little research, put them in the hotseat to make sure they are not a puppymill breeder and find someone with a brain to sell you the dog you like.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:43:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What the hell? I am thinking about getting a very small, non-shedding house dog around Christmas for my youngest son. The coonhound isn't welcome inside the house.  

There's the big push to "not buy from pet stores... don't perpetuate puppy mills... etc."... I understand that. BUT, I sent out inquiries about pup availability around late December to some reputable breeders to see if there would be any ready around that time.

I guess now to get a dog, you need to fill out a lengthy pre-interview questionnaire, have at least one (but sometimes more than one) in-person interviews, at least one home inspection, and one breeder even requires an agreement to have a yearly, ongoing inspection of my home in order for her to sell me a pup!

WTF? I like dogs, and I understand some get mistreated, but this is just insane.
View Quote

The above in red is just flat out insane.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 12:20:33 PM EDT
[#29]
I went through some of that when I got my last dog, but he was a rescue, and the place I was getting him from wanted to make sure he wouldn't be in need of rescue again ever. I can understand that. Nobody is going to be coming in my house to inspect things after I've gotten the dog though, screw that.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 12:37:58 PM EDT
[#30]
I gave up on shelter pups, half the places wouldn't even consider you if you so much as mentioned hunting on the application.

Then on top of that they charge more than a pup would cost from a breeder.

My coondog was free out of an accident litter and is a great dog, and the lab pup I just brought home was only $150 and one parent wasn't papered but still all lab.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 12:40:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

I just got denied for that.

I listed past pets on the form.  I forgot to list one cat that disappeared (probably eaten) after a few months.  "Withholding information."

Screw them.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 12:46:41 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote

guy pays for the wife to stay at home.

my uncle is the stay at home househusband so hes the one breading theirs.

they are Arfcoms favorite too pits he makes sure the lines are good some times it almost seems like horse breeding with this dog placed in this and this one showed in that etc. also that means the dogs cant be aggressive in anyway they would be disqualified.

I'm not a pit apologist its all in the breeding and training, i wish there was a way to know where those crazy fucking dogs come from i bet its some fucking hick/ghetto trash inbreeding some insane super dog.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 12:52:26 PM EDT
[#33]
We have gone through the process 3 times in the past 4 years. I, for one, am glad the process is thorough. Nothing worse than someone getting a dog only to have the dog end up abused or outside 24/7 with little or no human contact.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 12:53:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I listed past pets on the form.  I forgot to list one cat that disappeared (probably eaten) after a few months.  "Withholding information."

Screw them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Screw them.

Now that, is BS.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 12:58:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
We have gone through the process 3 times in the past 4 years. I, for one, am glad the process is thorough. Nothing worse than someone getting a dog only to have the dog end up abused or outside 24/7 with little or no human contact.
View Quote

I can understand a vet reference and possibly a yard inspection or a request to meet your other dogs.

But yearly inspections are pretty overkill.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 12:58:16 PM EDT
[#36]
I understand why breeders do that.  The sable Shepard in this pic is AKC registered.  We got her from OKsaveadog after she was dumped.  The other Shep had just been given to the same shelter, underfed and covered with ticks.    
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:02:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

It is a very female dominated hobby, anymore. Especially when talking about smaller, fluffier dogs.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:04:51 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I went through some of that when I got my last dog, but he was a rescue, and the place I was getting him from wanted to make sure he wouldn't be in need of rescue again ever. I can understand that. Nobody is going to be coming in my house to inspect things after I've gotten the dog though, screw that.
View Quote

Ours went pretty much that way too:

The lady that came from Greyhound Pets Inc, to do the home visit, wanted to ensure that the backyard was completely and adequately fenced-in (it seems that this type of dog is known for running fast )

Greyhounds just coming off the track aren't socialized to anything, this one spooked easily, and his training has always consisted of "run!!!!".

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:22:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, there are many things that are worse than that.

Moving on, this system prevents and discourages many people from giving a good home to good animals based on the idea that one bad person might be prevented from getting their hands on one.

It is the same mentality that leads to the heavy regulations around purchasing firearms (or just outright banning them). Guess what - the people you are concerned about are still getting the things you don't want them to have either way.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:41:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Yes, the process for getting a pup from a reputable breeder is somewhat complicated. They want to make sure you have the time, knowledge, and resources to devote to the dog. They want to make sure it will be going to a loving home where it will not be neglected or kept strictly for the profit gained from its reproductive organs. They want to make sure that you know what is involved in the keeping of that particular breed to know that you will be a good match for it.

They have time, money, and love invested in those puppies, and they want to make sure they are going to a home where they will be valued just as much, if not more.*

*this message brought to you by a reputable breeder.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:44:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Most adoption centers etc will NOT let you adopt a dog for Christmas because the sad fact is, tons of people buy a dog for Christmas and shortly after discovering how much work a dog is, they turn them loose on the streets.  Attempting to adopt for Christmas is one of their biggest flags for a douchebag owner.

Frankly, I'm glad they have these types of systems in place.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:03:25 PM EDT
[#42]
My wife volunteered at a dog/cat shelter, then when she tried to get a cat from them she was turned down because we had one inside/outside cat.

The one cat we did get from a shelter we simply said "Nope, none of our cats ever go outside that we are going to tell you about".

Anyone who wants to call my vet or inspect my home can fuck off.

My best pets have generally just been strays that showed up on the porch, anyway.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:05:10 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Attempting to adopt for Christmas is one of their biggest flags for a douchebag owner.

View Quote

Or adopting an X puppy right after a big kids movie about X puppies just came out.

'101 Dalmatians' etc...

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:07:06 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View Quote

Free market. If you want a quality dog from someone who cares about the dogs they breed, don't expect that they will suddenly abandon all of that and just hand one over.

If you want that kind of treatment, go to a puppy mill or a pet store.

If you don't know why they do it, try breeding dogs and seeing what shows up to buy them. You'll get it.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:10:21 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View Quote
The cat lady description fits EXACTLY.

They don't actually WANT to sell the dog.  They do it to support their habit.  My aunt bred Saint Bernards and Shih-Tzus, and was an absolute pain in the ass to possible purchasers.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:12:01 PM EDT
[#46]
We need more Korean-style dog farms in this country.

They don't get all weepy about selling a dog.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:14:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Yes, the process for getting a pup from a reputable breeder is somewhat complicated. They want to make sure you have the time, knowledge, and resources to devote to the dog. They want to make sure it will be going to a loving home where it will not be neglected or kept strictly for the profit gained from its reproductive organs. They want to make sure that you know what is involved in the keeping of that particular breed to know that you will be a good match for it.

They have time, money, and love invested in those puppies, and they want to make sure they are going to a home where they will be valued just as much, if not more.*

*this message brought to you by a reputable breeder.
View Quote

What breed do you breed?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:16:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
We need more Korean-style dog farms in this country.

They don't get all weepy about selling a dog.
View Quote

They don't turn em loose on the streets either if they chew on the sofa
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:17:33 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

So where's the underground black market on dogs?  

View Quote

Usually hanging around outside of Walmart, wearing an Affliction shirt.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:19:13 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

There's some debate about whether that's even legal.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top