Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2013 6:17:04 AM EDT
I've got about 200 CD's that I'd like to copy and catalog to my computer.  What is the best way to go about this?   I know there are programs like Windows Media Player, ITunes, Winamp etc.  Are there others?  Which program is the most user friendly?  Suggestions?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:34:16 AM EDT
[#1]
It depends on what you want really. If you want super easy software that your grandma could use there are programs for that. If you want the most accurate rip to preserve quality the standard used to be Exact Audio Copy. You can use it to rip to a lossless format if you have the hard drive space or you could use LAME compression for mp3s set to a high variable bitrate to preserve as much as possible. Foobar 2000 was the preferred music player. It has been a few years since I have been in the audiophile hobby though so the "standard" may have changed.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:36:12 AM EDT
[#2]
iTunes will certainly do that job.  But it really depends on what software you are used to, or what you will use for listening, etc.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:39:12 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

iTunes will certainly do that job.  But it really depends on what software you are used to, or what you will use for listening, etc.
View Quote
Just stay away from itune's own proprietary file format otherwise you will have an itune only directory of music - which will suck when you outgrow the limited capability of itunes,  

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:39:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm old school and still think Winamp offers the best tools for managing a large music library.
I have nearly 50,000 albums in my digital library and Winamp works great. I find iTunes to be "clunky".
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:40:29 AM EDT
[#5]
spotify dot com

Who keeps their own files anymore?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:42:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Im full apple products so I use iTunes. I like the way it organizes my music. I used iTunes long before I went full apple. Heres a screen shot of my iTunes. Thats just the 1st few rows and you cash see it even shows the album art.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top