Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/28/2013 12:31:23 AM EDT
I'm seriously considering grad school.  I paid my way through vocation school, then my associate's degree, and then my bachelor's degree without ever taking a student loan.  Honestly, debt scares the crap out of me.

I've had debt problem, mostly credit card debt, and today I'm debt-free besides a mortgage and a car which will both be paid off in no more than 9 years and maybe as few as 4 years.

So now, I'm faced with the idea of needing about 40K for grad school.  Student loans seem to be one of those things that people jump in front of semis on the highway over.  Are those just the people that got 100K for a Women's Studies degree?  Should I be as scared of student loans as I am?

It's possible that it would be less than 40K.  I'd continue to work and could pay for some things out of pocket, but grad school tuition is in a different world than the undergrad stuff I've paid for.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:34:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Depends if your grad school helps you command a larger salary.

A masters in lesbian studies may be interesting however it might not pay your bills.

If it does, borrow and spend it wisely.

It is a risk assesment that you must take seriously before plunging 40K into debt.

Max
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:38:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Without more specifics it's hard to say.

What are the odds of landing a job and keeping it with the degree?  How much additional income will it bring, and will it bring in significantly more cash with more stability considering the likely principle and interest payments?  Also, there are still companies that will pay for a masters in a field related to their work.  Is there any opportunity to do it on someone else's dime?

If it isn't pretty damn certain it will offer more stable and more lucrative employment than the bachelors alone, might not be worth the risk (depends on the field).
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:42:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I think you can expect about a 15% increase in pay, if that helps any.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:46:32 AM EDT
[#4]
What Vocation?

It's a business transaction at the end of it all. Will the money you shell out for the program be recouped with increased wages within a time period that you find acceptable? If the math works, do it. If not, just study on your own using one of the many free university course websites out there, and get your raise through outdoing the other guy.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:48:02 AM EDT
[#5]

Student loans are not dischargeable in bankruptcy, should life not go as planned, and throw you a nasty curveball.  

Oh, and don't forget the Department of Education now has a SWAT team.  The government is getting serious about collecting.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:53:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Student loans are not dischargeable in bankruptcy, should life not go as planned, and throw you a nasty curveball.  

Oh, and don't forget the Department of Education now has a SWAT team.  The government is getting serious about collecting.

View Quote

They are under EXTREME circumstances, like if you're living on the street.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:54:02 AM EDT
[#7]
In my case, the grad school is NP (nurse practitioner).  I'm currently an RN.

I'd make somewhat more money and would have a better career and better hours for later in life when fighting people messed up on bath salts in the ICU may be a little much.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:58:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Do it.  You know you want to.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:00:35 AM EDT
[#9]
If career wise you are advancing in the direction you have been planning on and the only debt you would have to manage is what you take on from a master's program, there isn't a ton of risk.  The repayment terms can be fairly gentle, the repayment can be modest and if you're smart you can curb the amount of debt by paying some off as you complete the program.  Additionally you'll have a grace period after you finish to pay it off.

It doesn't sound like a huge gamble as you're already working and on the right path as opposed to doing it for the hope of getting any sort of work.  You'd have to add up all your numbers to see how manageable it will be for you and then weigh that against the benefits you'll receive by completing the program.

You can use debt to your advantage or to your detriment, you'll have to figure out which it will be in this case.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:02:24 AM EDT
[#10]
So stupid question, is it hard to get a student loan?  I'm not really sure how one gets a student loan, though because the college pushes them so hard I'm sure there's a huge department at the college for helping you spend tens of thousands of dollars...

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:08:49 AM EDT
[#11]

Current unsubsidized student loan interest rates are running pretty high right now. That's why we decided to just lend our son the money for his education rather than have him go through a financial institution.

No, I don't want to adopt you.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:09:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So stupid question, is it hard to get a student loan?  I'm not really sure how one gets a student loan, though because the college pushes them so hard I'm sure there's a huge department at the college for helping you spend tens of thousands of dollars...

View Quote

Fuck no, just go fill out some paper work. Ya, they kind of push them on you, all of my school is paid for and they informed last week I need to use my Perkins loan or lose it

But there are limits for government loans, you can only get so much subsidized and so much over all before you have to go to a private lender. Apply for scholarships and grants, that's what I did and I'm only 5k in debt for 3yrs of school.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:16:11 AM EDT
[#13]
For an NP degree? Definitely. If you were going to tell me Xenobiology or something stupid, I'd say hell no. $40,000 can be paid off (if you're wise) within a reasonable time frame.

You could always work a few more years and save up so you'd take on less debt, but think about opportunity cost and whether saving up to avoid debt is better than becoming an NP quicker.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:25:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Its quite easy and most of the work is upfront.  Once you fill it all out for a FAFSA it just has to be resubmitted each year.  It varies from school to school, but basically the money gets sent to the school then the school passes it on to you/they pay the tuition.  

The most recent company(it seems like they're always going through a new 3rd party company..) that handles student loans is Nelnet and its pretty damn easy to see what loans you have outstanding, their interest rates, etc.  If you are aggressive on paying off your unsubsidized loans, you'll have a low interest rate on your subsidized loans  that don't start accruing interest until 6 months after you graduate.  

Likely if you contact your financial aid office they'll tell you to fill out a FAFSA since for the most part if you want a school loan, the federal government handles that.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:40:35 AM EDT
[#15]
I to am an RN  but in retired mode. I hate debtas debt is slavery. How much longer in your working  career? Have you considered being a PA? Much more support from AMA than from the world of nursing.  If you can you get a home equity loan that would be better. Go for it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:58:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I to am an RN  but in retired mode. I hate debtas debt is slavery. How much longer in your working  career? Have you considered being a PA? Much more support from AMA than from the world of nursing.  If you can you get a home equity loan that would be better. Go for it.
View Quote

I have another 25 - 30 years before I'd retire (from today).

PAa and NPs have very similar jobs, but since I'm already a nurse, going the NP route makes sense.  NPs can practice independent of MDs.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:06:37 AM EDT
[#17]
I personally see mid-level health care providers, PAs and NPs, as the way of the future in terms of US medical care. My opinion is that it's a wise decision.  

Are any grants available to pay for the schooling such as the Indian Res deals that used to be available for docs?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:27:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I personally see mid-level health care providers, PAs and NPs, as the way of the future in terms of US medical care. My opinion is that it's a wise decision.  

Are any grants available to pay for the schooling such as the Indian Res deals that used to be available for docs?
View Quote

Not sure.  I've just paid out of pocket for everything.  Never gotten a grant, scholarship, or loan.  Never done anything but just paid for my school.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:32:16 AM EDT
[#19]
[b]Quoted:
Not sure.  I've just paid out of pocket for everything.  Never gotten a grant, scholarship, or loan.  Never done anything but just paid for my school.

View Quote

I had thought there were grants a while back that paid for schooling and the recipient was then obligated to serve so many years in a low income area. Sort of like ROTC....

Edit: Here you go...

Pays your loans it seems and gets you some karma points.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:33:20 AM EDT
[#20]
You can always file for bankruptcy if things don't work out.  Don't sweat it, just go for it!!!

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:01:13 AM EDT
[#21]
What is the NPV of the loan/project? Payback Period?  Just finished paying of the wife's loan for MBA in 3 yrs.  Plan to pay mine off in 3 yrs.  Even at my age, I could justify the loan with some detailed analysis.  The 100k we spent each was for MBA's from Top 10 schools.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:04:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'd make somewhat more money and would have a better career and better hours for later in life when fighting people messed up on bath salts in the ICU may be a little much.
View Quote

In that case I would say fo.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:05:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What is the NPV of the loan/project? Payback Period?  Just finished paying of the wife's loan for MBA in 3 yrs.  Plan to pay mine off in 3 yrs.  Even at my age, I could justify the loan with some detailed analysis.  The 100k we spent each was for MBA's from Top 10 schools.
View Quote

I've never even heard of NPV.  

No idea what kind of terms student loans are on.  I was hoping y'all would tell me.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:38:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Normally I would say Hell No. But NP is the new wave of HC and will be in more demand.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:40:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:43:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Shop around for other graduate programs too.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:48:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Pay for school or don't go. Student loans can easily run your finances until retirement.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:49:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Shop around for other graduate programs too.
View Quote

Many offer paid scholarships. My wife deals with Grad students all day. Most get free tuition and 20 hours a week pay.
Of course, it's an engineering college.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:58:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

No idea what kind of terms student loans are on.  I was hoping y'all would tell me.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thus it is sort of tough to judge whether or not- Basically you are discounting the incremental future cash flows of the incremental earnings by obtaining the new education.

A simple calculation using a RF/COC rate of 3% 30ry Bond, and going out 30 yrs at an increase of salary of 8K/yr after year 3 shows that you have positive NPV, but that is just simplistic finance.  Tons of other factors are at play.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:59:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Depends if your grad school helps you command a larger salary.

A masters in lesbian studies may be interesting however it might not pay your bills.

If it does, borrow and spend it wisely.

It is a risk assesment that you must take seriously before plunging 40K into debt.

Max
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:01:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Pay for school or don't go. Student loans can easily run your finances until retirement.
View Quote

I can see you cum-guzzle the Ramsey jizz.  However, Dave does preach investing, just teaches it for Luddites.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:09:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

40K?  That's nothing.  NP is only going to expand.  You can work in an office 9 to 5, 4 or 5 days a week.  You can work urgent care, or any number of other areas.  Put away savings.  Much better lifestyle.  I've hated being in debt but you will make more money and live more comfortably.  You'll be treated close to what a doctor is.  Heck, I just found out that one of the primary care providers I've talked to and seen patients for the better part of 10 years is an APRN/NP.  Never would have guessed talking to her on the phone.

Do it, man!  Do the whole fucking village!  Sorry, got carried away.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:58:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Hell I'll have $150k plus by Dec 2014 all unsubsidized. Grad school loans are all unsubsidized now fyi. Means you start accruing interest on the day of disbursement.

Opportunity cost though. The ability to at an absolute MINIMUM double my nursing income at the graduating age of 28 years old is worth it to me. Yes that's a crap load of $$ to have over my head. But being single and having no ties to any city means I can go anywhere, continue living like I do now, and pay off my loans in 2 years max.

Debt is not the devil if you're not retarded. Saving up enough money to go back to school full time (no employment during school is written into our contract)  would have taken me years and life has a tendency to get in the way.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:02:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Hell I'll have $150k plus by Dec 2014 all unsubsidized. Grad school loans are all unsubsidized now fyi. Means you start accruing interest on the day of disbursement.

Opportunity cost though. The ability to at an absolute MINIMUM double my nursing income at the graduating age of 28 years old is worth it to me. Yes that's a crap load of $$ to have over my head. But being single and having no ties to any city means I can go anywhere, continue living like I do now, and pay off my loans in 2 years max.

Debt is not the devil if you're not retarded. Saving up enough money to go back to school full time (no employment during school is written into our contract)  would have taken me years and life has a tendency to get in the way.
View Quote

NP will not double my wages.  The increase in pay is about 10K to 20K more.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:08:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hell yes....good investment.

My older daughter is just starting college (nursing), and is making noises about wanting to go to Med School.     I'm trying to talk her into being a NP or CRNA instead...a lot less money to get the training, and the pay (especially in the future) is going to be pretty close to what the MD/DOs make.    (I'm a Podiatrist...with what I know now, I'd have probably said 'fuck it' and stayed a Blood Bank tech or gotten a masters and a PA certificate).

AFARR
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:12:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Snip....

View Quote

You're either really well paid as an RN or would be underpaid as a NP if that's the case.    Would you specialize (work for a Dermatologist, Orthopod, Heme-Onc, etc)?   You can make more that way.  

Going to work for the same people when you're done?   Any tuition assistance?
Can you work per diem while going to school?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:13:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

The University should have a Financial Aid Office that can conveniently hook you up with a number of options.

Think hard before you do it. If it's going to earn you more money in the long term then there is justification for it. I would also try to look for ways to decrease the amount you have to borrow.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:13:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

If this is the case.  The answer is YES. You will recover your investment quickly. My wife is an APNP. Doubled her salary straight out of grad school. Been out for a little under a year and the university she graduated from is trying to recruit her to chair the NP program next year. Mo money.

Still not sure while she married me.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:20:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can easily double your salary.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:22:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Houston pays ICU RNs well.  I've looked into the pay.  It is not double.  I've been a nurse a long time and my pay is not entry RN level.

Perhaps the "can easily double your salary" is some kind of work-like-a-fool thing, but I can do that as an RN too.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:49:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I can see you cum-guzzle the Ramsey jizz.  However, Dave does preach investing, just teaches it for Luddites.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess I am on the Ramsey juice also.  Murphy is a bitch.  I have seen  people resigned to living with student loans for the rest of their life and success stories of people that have racked up large amounts of loans, paid them off, and benefited monetarily from the education.  I'll error on the side of caution.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:04:38 AM EDT
[#42]
If you can pay the loan back quickly(5-7years or less) and it leads to pay gains that make it worth the money, do it.

Also look at the long term. Maybe the degree means 20K more a year now, but what doors does it open in the future?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:05:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Houston pays ICU RNs well.  I've looked into the pay.  It is not double.  I've been a nurse a long time and my pay is not entry RN level.

Perhaps the "can easily double your salary" is some kind of work-like-a-fool thing, but I can do that as an RN too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IM me if you want to know how to easily double your salary, run your own show, and work less fucked up hours than the usual 12s. It's legit. Not easy but well worth it.

My wife was hardly a new nurse and had years experience in ICU ACLS worked on transplant teams and was involved with the artificial heart project. Se is currently beings courted to chair an APNP program for a top 10 private university.  She was hardly cleaning up old folks and giving meds  in a home.

She has doubled her salary and me and our daughter get to see her a LOT more.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:15:54 AM EDT
[#44]
In your specific case I would encourage you to take the loan out and go to school. At 20k a year increase your payback and lost opportunity cost is low, about 70k, which would be 4ish years to pay back. with 30 years working left, you profit the other 25 making about another 500k.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:21:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Sometimes you got to treat your life like a business - spend a couple hours figuring out the potential ROI. I would err just slightly on the riskier side - you only live once, and higher risk could mean higher reward. But don't get stupid about it (clearly you're not if you've paid your way through school already).

Honestly if you're smart enough to have paid your way through a Bachelor's degree, I think whatever decision you make you'll be able to make it work.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:22:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'm seriously considering grad school.  I paid my way through vocation school, then my associate's degree, and then my bachelor's degree without ever taking a student loan.  Honestly, debt scares the crap out of me.

I've had debt problem, mostly credit card debt, and today I'm debt-free besides a mortgage and a car which will both be paid off in no more than 9 years and maybe as few as 4 years.

So now, I'm faced with the idea of needing about 40K for grad school.  Student loans seem to be one of those things that people jump in front of semis on the highway over.  Are those just the people that got 100K for a Women's Studies degree?  Should I be as scared of student loans as I am?

It's possible that it would be less than 40K.  I'd continue to work and could pay for some things out of pocket, but grad school tuition is in a different world than the undergrad stuff I've paid for.

View Quote

Assuming 100% of that is subsidized, you are looking at around $450-500/month payment just to make the minimum payment on a $40k student loan.  Making the minimum payment, it could actually cost you closer to $120,000 to borrow that $40k.  This is debt that is not dischargeable in bankruptcy, you can never get out from under it except by paying it in some form acceptable to Uncle Sam.  Are you going to make enough extra income from this degree to pay the extra $6k a year in loan payments?  Are you going to make up enough income to make up for the lifetime interest costs?  How steady is your field of employment?  How steady will it be ten years from now?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:27:26 AM EDT
[#47]
I drive used cars (<8k) and live in an old farm house. You may take in more than I do, but I probably don't pay out near what you do.
Either make more or downsize your life. Taking on even more debt to make more makes less sense than either previous suggestion.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:35:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Long term cash out refi on your house is more than likely the better option if eligible.  Your total first mortgage + home equity cannot be higher than 80% of homes value in Texas (maybe 90 haven't looked in a while) and if worse comes to worse there are ways to jettison the debt unlike student loans.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:44:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

IM me if you want to know how to easily double your salary, run your own show, and work less fucked up hours than the usual 12s. It's legit. Not easy but well worth it.

My wife was hardly a new nurse and had years experience in ICU ACLS worked on transplant teams and was involved with the artificial heart project. Se is currently beings courted to chair an APNP program for a top 10 private university.  She was hardly cleaning up old folks and giving meds  in a home.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your IM box is full...  

You have my attention...  Is this "something" your wife does repeatable for others?  

Feel free to IM me back if you can give more details there.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:46:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Student loans are an investment in yourself.  I would consider an NP degree a good investment in yourself.

Just try to limit the amount you owe when you're done.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top