Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/27/2013 4:58:40 PM EDT
I am not religious, and I prefer not to discuss it when it comes up with friends or family since it usually leads to an argument.

However, I have managed to hit brick walls with a few friends entirely on accident while have what I considered a normal back and forth conversation.

One time while talking about mental disorders and how many people can actually be classified as having one I got rebutted with "Well, everyone believes in science now and no one realizes that those people probably have demons inside of them" Totally came out of left field, basically halted the conversation for me, I had to change topics entirely.

There has been a handful of other instances too, all ending with something similar.

I already avoid conversations with certain people regarding evolution (after trying to explain the difference between the definition of theory when used in science and when it is used to describe a good guess) and a few other topics.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:08:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I have interactions with many religious folks, and I go to church almost every Sunday with my wife because it makes her happy. However I'm not a religious person, I don't have faith and I just don't get it. My brain doesn't work that way. I avoid many types of conversations for the same reasons that you do. I'm not saying what they believe is wrong, but I just consider it blissful ignorance. Who knows, maybe I'm the one that's ignorant of the truth.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:10:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I finally had to ask my live in GF to leave because she was (in my opinion) way overboard on the Jesus train.
I'm a Christian and believe in God but there is a limit on how much time needs to be spent on it.
To bad, she was great in every other way....
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:11:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I generally avoid topics (religion and politics) with friends and family that I expect to go full retard on certain topics. It has worked out very well.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:16:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Not anymore; the Lord called them home.  The rest of my religious friends are essentially sane.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:22:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I finally had to ask my live in GF to leave because she was (in my opinion) way overboard on the Jesus train.
I'm a Christian and believe in God but there is a limit on how much time needs to be spent on it.
View Quote

Ummm, do you KNOW what the Bible says about your living arrangment?
I'm NOT saying your not a Christian but , I wonder if you know what you just posted????
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:23:58 PM EDT
[#6]
rather than avoiding conversations...  You should avoid those people
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:24:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't have any friends that are religious. (Well, one maybe, but he knows that I'm not a believer, so the topic never comes up.)
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:24:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Not anymore.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:26:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm NOT saying your not a Christian but , I wonder if you know what you just posted????
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We lived in my home, we never slept together - she would have none of it.
I slept in my bedroom, she slept in hers - that's the only way she would have it.
This lasted about four months before she started in on me about my shooting, drinking, etc...
This is not the way it started out!
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:28:13 PM EDT
[#10]

I'm Lutheran and don't discuss certain topics where we we have doctrinal differences with friends of mine who are Catholic or Jewish.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:30:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm Christian, but and I have a friend that I couldn't have a theological discussion with one time. It regarded pre-destination/divine planning.

Basically my point was that I like to keep Onstar in my vehicle because I drive a lot of rural roads and If I was to ever get in an accident, it may be hours before someone could help me or others if none of us either have access to our cell phones or cell service. (An actual event like this occurred not long before our conversation - a teenage boy overturned his truck next to a onion field late at night in a real secluded area. A farmer happened to be spraying extremely late that night and just happened to see the reflection of the truck. If he had not been out there, the boy would have likely died.)

He essentially said having Onstar is pointless because "if it's my time to go, it's my time to go". I then jumped in and said that I don't believe God plans deaths, that I adhere to the clockmaker theory and that God mostly lets the world run itself and its our decisions that dictate how we go in life. He didn't like that at all and walked out on the conversation, flat out refusing to listen to me.

The issue I have with his (and many others) beliefs is that it essentially means you can do whatever you want, because if something hasn't been meant to kill you then you won't have to worry about dying. It creates all sorts of problems: Why carry a gun? Why wear a seatbelt? Why wear a life jacket?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:31:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I have always found the overtly religious who were very verbal and pushy always seemed to be fucked up in one way or another.

The one couple I know who are religious, but don't push it on anyone are very down to earth, sane people.

I'm not sure what that correlation means, but that has been my experience.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:33:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't associate with anybody who takes religion seriously.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:33:25 PM EDT
[#14]
IRL I avoid the topic entirely unless the other party becomes belligerent about it. It means I have to avoid most of my dads side of the family around holidays as they are all (excluding my father) the worst kind of holy rollers and simply cant help but try to evangelize me any chance they get. I grew up around that shit and have no interest in it. It would be nice if I could have had one holiday without those snake handlers trying to give me the good news.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:33:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes absolutely.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:35:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:39:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:41:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm an independently religious Christian but, I like to think that I integrate science into my faith quite seamlessly. Demon possession isn't something I'd bring up in a normal conversation about mental disorders.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:43:30 PM EDT
[#19]
I am a Christian, my father is not but masquareds as if he is. Mark of the beast this, end of the world that. He admits to me that if he died he would go to hell but refuses to "get saved" or repent or anything the Bilble says you need to do to go to Heaven then quotes john 3:16 to me. I cannot have a rational discussion with him at all. Example "dad if you admit you would go to hell right now then why not go ahead and get the mark of the beast and make your life here easier?"
"no I can't do that!"
"but if you freely admit you are going to hell anyhow what difference would it make?"
"But the Bible says <random scripture he heard on tv>."
Me: "what does that have to do with it? Where does it say that and what does it have to do with anything?"
Him: "I'm just telling you what the bible says..."

I talk so far over his head he cannot understand what I'm saying.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:46:34 PM EDT
[#20]
One phenomenon I've noticed with religious folks is that some of them will want to discuss the subject even after I've voiced my reluctance to; insisting that they won't be offended by anything I say.

Of course, after I let myself get drawn in by this, I inevitably say something that they take offense to.

I eventually learned my lesson, and now refuse to engage in even the most innocent conversation on the matter.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:47:36 PM EDT
[#21]
OP: your situation seems VERY extreme.  I try to stay out of discussing religion and politics socially, but if a friend injects either as heavily as your example, I would lose them.

I have good friends who are all over the board religiously, and as long as someone doesn't purposefully bring up abortion or the almighty "is there a god?", we all seem to mingle just fine.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:52:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Yes,it's the same as my friends who are ultra libs/vegans/feminists/whatever.

There are some subjects that just can't be reasonably discussed with some people.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:56:38 PM EDT
[#23]
I have some friends that I can't agree with on a theological level.  Several folks are young-Earth proponents, and I have a really hard time with that one, as i can't fathom the entire concept of a young Earth, and the explainations given for everything from fossils, fossil fuels and plate tectonics, to astronomy. It just doesn't jive with my understanding of the universe and it makes it hard sometimes to bite my tongue and simply respect someone else's point of view.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:57:49 PM EDT
[#24]
What's annoying is that some of them are highly intelligent otherwise, but it seems like they pick and choose where they like their science.

We can be talking about something like dog or livestock breeding and how traits are passed and preserved just fine, but then shift the conversation to ancient man and halfway through it they might remember that they aren't supposed to believe in it and hit me with something random.

This doesn't happen all the time, not very often at all in fact, but when it does I always feel like I end up with this look on my face

They will remain my friends though since they have proven themselves to be friends, great people that wouldn't hesitate to give you a hand if you needed it. That may be because of their religion, but probably because of their personality, since I feel I would do the same for any of my friends in need.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:00:38 PM EDT
[#25]
its impossible to have a conversation with those of the Atheist religion
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:01:02 PM EDT
[#26]
My Pops.

I just let him go on and have his say, and try not engage. I smile, nod my head and focus on letting him be happy. He's eighty-two and a good man. Let him have his say and die happy.

We fought enough when I was a teenager, I don't want him to die angry and disappointed because I didn't buy into Christianity.

He has too much of his life invested in it to ever be swayed, so discussion on the subject is pointless.

We talk about cars, politics.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:04:34 PM EDT
[#27]
my dad mainly, regarding evolution.  mom is a devout christian, but is willing to entertain different ideas and discuss things calmly (possibly because she has 'heretical' ideas of her own).  dad is a more rigid thinker, and since we're both stubborn, things can get heated.

so we have out 1 big argument every year, get it out of our system, then laugh about it over scotch.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:08:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
my dad mainly, regarding evolution.  mom is a devout christian, but is willing to entertain different ideas and discuss things calmly (possibly because she has 'heretical' ideas of her own).  dad is a more rigid thinker, and since we're both stubborn, things can get heated.

so we have out 1 big argument every year, get it out of our system, then laugh about it over scotch.
View Quote

Evolution is an incredibly difficult concept for some people to grasp, and impossible if they have a source of information actively countering it.

For me, its easy as A-B-C to visualize.  For some folks, I get the "If we are evolved from monkeys, how come there are still monkeys" like its some profound statement that will make me go "ah ha! you are so right, what was I thinking!"..
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:08:47 PM EDT
[#29]
What's great about this is in the end everyone will know, and whatever their thoughts were on it, well it will be too late.
I generally don't talk religion, all I can do to be a testament unto my faith is by example.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:09:11 PM EDT
[#30]
From the other side of OP's question, I usually have non believers attack my intelligence, my beliefs, and my sanity. I read from the Bible and Torah, as well as critiques and observations of both books.

I am by no means a scholar, but I know what I believe. My real problem is with closed minded folks who holler and call names at people who disagree.

This happens on both sides of the fence unfortunately.

Remember, NOBODY here was there to witness the beginning. One side has several books of history, one side has a set of theories and ideas . BOTH have observable proof that they are right.

My path is chosen, and it is written that we will be persecuted and attacked because of it. I see this regularly, most recently Christians being labeled terrorists or hate groups or whatever in that .gov piece. I still keep an open mind to their opinion.

One thing is for sure, some day we all punch the time clock for the last time, then we know for sure.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:19:50 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm a Christian. If you don't want to talk about your or my religion, cool. Duck season just opened. After it closes, I want to build an AR pistol.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:20:31 PM EDT
[#32]
I focus on what we have in common instead of how we differ. It's pretty easy and we have good conversations.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:21:37 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

I don't associate with anybody who takes religion seriously.

How is it that I am good friends with both??? I must be doing it wrong
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:24:24 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

One phenomenon I've noticed with religious folks is that some of them will want to discuss the subject even after I've voiced my reluctance to; insisting that they won't be offended by anything I say.

Of course, after I let myself get drawn in by this, I inevitably say something that they take offense to.

I eventually learned my lesson, and now refuse to engage in even the most innocent conversation on the matter.
View Quote

I tell them what I think about stuff like science (which is kind of like studying the nature of God) and they don't seem offended.  They listen quietly as I give my interpretation of how God created everything and how it all fits together.

Eventually they quit bringing it up.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:25:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is true. Most obnoxious religion ever.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:26:27 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

From the other side of OP's question, I usually have non believers attack my intelligence, my beliefs, and my sanity. I read from the Bible and Torah, as well as critiques and observations of both books.

I am by no means a scholar, but I know what I believe. My real problem is with closed minded folks who holler and call names at people who disagree.

Remember, NOBODY here was there to witness the beginning. One side has several books of history, one side has a set of theories and ideas . BOTH have observable proof that they are right.

My path is chosen, and it is written that we will be persecuted and attacked because of it. I see this regularly, most recently Christians being labeled terrorists or hate groups or whatever in that .gov piece. I still keep an open mind to their opinion.

One thing is for sure, some day we all punch the time clock for the last time, then we know for sure.

View Quote

Cool!! When people "attack" you they are engaging you, this gives you an opportunity to answer their questions and talk to them.

You know, like Jesus would have done.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:36:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'm Christian, but and I have a friend that I couldn't have a theological discussion with one time. It regarded pre-destination/divine planning.

Basically my point was that I like to keep Onstar in my vehicle because I drive a lot of rural roads and If I was to ever get in an accident, it may be hours before someone could help me or others if none of us either have access to our cell phones or cell service. (An actual event like this occurred not long before our conversation - a teenage boy overturned his truck next to a onion field late at night in a real secluded area. A farmer happened to be spraying extremely late that night and just happened to see the reflection of the truck. If he had not been out there, the boy would have likely died.)

He essentially said having Onstar is pointless because "if it's my time to go, it's my time to go". I then jumped in and said that I don't believe God plans deaths, that I adhere to the clockmaker theory and that God mostly lets the world run itself and its our decisions that dictate how we go in life. He didn't like that at all and walked out on the conversation, flat out refusing to listen to me.

The issue I have with his (and many others) beliefs is that it essentially means you can do whatever you want, because if something hasn't been meant to kill you then you won't have to worry about dying. It creates all sorts of problems: Why carry a gun? Why wear a seatbelt? Why wear a life jacket?
View Quote

Exactly.  "Do not put the Lord your God to the test" (by taking unnecessary risks/omitting common-sense precautions).

Your friend was foolish in what he said.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:37:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay Westboro.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:37:05 PM EDT
[#39]
I have Jehovah's Witness family--no way I am bringing up religious topics with them.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:38:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Yes, I have friends of various faiths some of whom I can have philosophical discussions and some with whom I cannot.

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, all that ululating as they fly planes into buildings, and explode in crowded areas makes 'em real obnoxious.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:39:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I don't have any friends that are religious. (Well, one maybe, but he knows that I'm not a believer, so the topic never comes up.)
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:42:18 PM EDT
[#42]

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:42:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Exactly.  "Do not put the Lord your God to the test" (by taking unnecessary risks/omitting common-sense precautions).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think it has a lot to do with the teachings of the churches around here (and presumably elsewhere). Whenever someone dies, especially a younger person, the standard explanation is that "it is part of God's plan and it was their time to go". Deaths can indeed cause big changes in many aspects to peoples lives - sometimes good and sometimes bad.

But the problem is that it misleads a lot to believe that whenever someone dies, they already had a completely planned out life by God, and that he directly caused their death. It's a way to "cope" with losing someone, especially unexpectedly. If that is true, where is free will? It's a pretty hard side to argue, which I would imagine is why he refused to debate about it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:49:20 PM EDT
[#44]
There are entire branches of my family you can't discuss certain topics with.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:51:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Yes.

And I'm a Christian.

I've been through pretty much every cycle, tangent and fad that Christians go through, and it's hard for me to talk to someone who is still stuck in one
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:51:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I think it has a lot to do with the teachings of the churches around here (and presumably elsewhere). Whenever someone dies, especially a younger person, the standard explanation is that "it is part of God's plan and it was their time to go". Deaths can indeed cause big changes in many aspects to peoples lives - sometimes good and sometimes bad.

But the problem is that it misleads a lot to believe that whenever someone dies, they already had a completely planned out life by God, and that he directly caused their death. It's a way to "cope" with losing someone, especially unexpectedly. If that is true, where is free will? It's a pretty hard side to argue, which I would imagine is why he refused to debate about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am pretty sold on free will.

I only takes one friend shooting himself in the head to figure that one out.

Pretty sure that was his own plan when he did it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:52:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Mostly just family.

I've got friends I've known for years and I have no idea whether they're religious or not, or what their politics are for that matter. That's not true of all my friends but those things aren't topics of polite conversation in a lot of venues.

The people who can't have a normal conversation without it turning to craziness aren't my friends for long.

I've run into the "illness is caused by demons" crowd and the "don't need to worry about anything it's all in God's hands" crowd, the second group are the more disturbing IMO.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:52:55 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Cool!! When people "attack" you they are engaging you, this gives you an opportunity to answer their questions and talk to them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Unfortunately, I am not blessed with His patience and knowledge. I do all I can, but to answer OP's thread title, there are just some jokers that I cannot talk to about that. I'm sure they feel the same

way about me, but I never call names, question intelligence, etc. I have one friend in particular that goes to atheist boards and memorizes stuff to challenge me with. I love him to death, but he's hard to

deal with when it comes to astrophysics stuff he memorized and I'm a "F'n idiot" and "retarded" and "wrong" because I don't know anything about astrophysics and red shift. (neither does he). I wish he

would put some time in reading scripture as well.  I am in a fairly scientific and mathematical field, and everything I do is based on the observable, so it's not like I

prance around with my head in the clouds all day.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:53:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Yes, and I consider myself religious.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:53:45 PM EDT
[#50]
IBO_P
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top