Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2013 12:18:57 PM EDT
My grandmother passed away a while back and left my mother with a ton of her jewelry. She's had it professionally appraised, and it's worth $17k or so. I called up a local place that advertises that they buy estate jewelry, and they said that they would only pay about 10% of the appraisal. That's a huge hit.

Is there any other place that I can try aside from jewelry stores, or am I stuck with craigslist/ebay?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 12:19:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Apprasials are usually terrible. EBay/cl will be best
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 12:29:37 PM EDT
[#2]
So call up a bunch more places, until you get a fair deal.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 12:37:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Terrible as in, they inflate the prices?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 12:39:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Call the appraiser back and tell them you'll let it go for 15k.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 12:40:03 PM EDT
[#5]
The best place is CL then Ebay.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 12:40:37 PM EDT
[#6]
what is it?

if its gold go to the gold dealers.

otherwise Ebay.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 12:42:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What things appraise at and what things will sell for are usually two very different things.

Most appraisals are used for insurance purposes.

Also remember that jewellery is one of the most marked up items out there.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 12:45:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Try some upper end consignment stores if they are in your area.
My mom found a 18 carat broach of some sort at a resale shop that had europeon hallmarks - she put it in on consignment for 300 - it sold for 250. I believe she recieved 150 bucks for 8 bucks invested think 30 percent was their cut.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 12:56:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 1:09:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

My grandmother passed away a while back and left my mother with a ton of her jewelry. She's had it professionally appraised, and it's worth $17k or so. I called up a local place that advertises that they buy estate jewelry, and they said that they would only pay about 10% of the appraisal. That's a huge hit.

Is there any other place that I can try aside from jewelry stores, or am I stuck with craigslist/ebay?
View Quote
Figure out what the actual precious metal value is in it and there's your bottom line.  Try on ebay or at a jeweler on consignment, if it doesn't sell after however long you decide then let it go for the metal (and stone's) value.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top