Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2013 8:31:08 AM EDT
The weather is cooling off up here and that means construction work is slowing down, and will eventually grind to a halt when the ground freezes. I live in a very rural area, most people are either farmers or construction workers.

From late fall until spring most construction workers get laid off due to the weather and begin collecting unemployment. It is sort of the mentality too that it is like paid time off.

It is a bit unsettling really since most people know where they live and the nature of their work, but don't save any money up for winter and happily accept the unemployment money each week.

I worked cash jobs out of high school for a few years until I got my first on the books job and collected that first winter for a few months, and began to feel gradually more crappy about it. Late winter one day I just stopped claiming, since I didn't feel right taking the money when I was at home healthy and ready to work. I told my friend about it and he said "But it's free money".

I am self employed now so even if I needed it they wouldn't let me claim, and since I began having to save money to get through winter I have become a little disillusioned with the system and how much it is abused here yearly.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:35:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Be quiet, comrade.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:45:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Pride...
It's not for everyone.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:17:24 AM EDT
[#3]
the unemployment system runs on taxes. I work for myself, so I'm not eligible for unemployment. but here's how I feel about it: if they are going to tax me for it, and I am eligible, I won't hesitate to collect.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:35:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
the unemployment system runs on taxes. I work for myself, so I'm not eligible for unemployment. but here's how I feel about it: if they are going to tax me for it, and I am eligible, I won't hesitate to collect.
View Quote

No. Extended UI runs on Federal grants from taxes. The original UI duration is covered by insurance premiums paid by the employer as a condition of hiring help.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:40:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Technically you are supposed to be looking for work. In IL if you're in a union and get laid off all you do is tell them you on the available for work list at the hall.  Collect a check until it runs out or the hall calls you back. None of that mucking around looking for a job bullshit.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:41:48 AM EDT
[#6]
When I became an adult I didn't look for seasonal occupations or occupations where things were up to nature, like farming or fishing.  Too risky.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:47:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Yep.  All the contractors n construction workers are coming up on vacation time.  

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:53:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yep.  All the contractors n construction workers are coming up on vacation time.  

View Quote

hell ya, collect unemployment and work under the table
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:00:49 AM EDT
[#9]
It's big around here, especially the loggers.  Even the golf employees at the resort, (the course closes for the winter) go on unemployment every year. It's good work vacation if you can get it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:22:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Construction guys who get laid off here will not really look hard during hunting season and I've had more than one guy ask me to lay him off during hunting season.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:24:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:26:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
used to be back when there were construction jobs, now all year is unemployment season
View Quote

*rimshot*
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:36:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Illegal immigrants can collect unemployment?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:38:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Construction guys who get laid off here will not really look hard during hunting season and I've had more than one guy ask me to lay him off during hunting season.
View Quote

Yup. Those deer r more important than making a living.  Im a hunter n i still find time to kill deer n work full time.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:39:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Definitely.

There are some very prominent, well off farmers in Kansas who collect nice unemployment checks after they harvest in October and before they plant in May.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 12:04:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agree.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 12:42:32 PM EDT
[#17]
There are retailers hiring seasonal employees to deal with the influx of consumers in the last quarter with the mall being local and apparently full enough to warrant 24 hour operation later in the year. During the rest of the year, the FSA is out in full force.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 12:48:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Yeah, I've known people who do that.

It's the entitlement mentality.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top