Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2013 8:07:25 PM EDT
http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/

Mid 60s and never took a loan out for anything.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:15:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Amazing really.  Good for him.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:16:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:16:27 PM EDT
[#3]
More power to the guys who are disciplined enough to do that. I know I'm not.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:17:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Good friend at work is trying to go that route.  I hope he can, but I've warned him that being young today with 0 credit rating could be damn dangerous.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:20:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good friend at work is trying to go that route.  I hope he can, but I've warned him that being young today with 0 credit rating could be damn dangerous.
View Quote

Why? I had a credit score of 2.
No ninjas came out and tried to kill me.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:21:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Good for him
I have a 830 credit score,  What that tells me is I am a idiot and pay to much to the banks for crap I don't need.
In 4 years ill have every thing paid off and can dream about having a 0 score.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:21:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

YET!
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:23:34 PM EDT
[#8]
It's crazy not having a credit rating...... just crazy.

Had a good friend that was single until he was about 35. He paid cash for everything including vehicles. Met a girl, got married and couldn't get a loan for a house...... he had zero credit established.

It pays to take out a loan or some type of credit card/cards and pay the loan off a little early and build credit.

My father always told me...... " If you're not rich, you better have good credit." Doesn't mean you have to go way in dept...... it means you take out small loans etc. and pay them off on time or early and build credit that is useful if you ever need it..... it's easy to do.

99% of the population will need credit sooner or later.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:23:39 PM EDT
[#9]
No bills here.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:28:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Had a good friend that was single until he was about 35. He paid cash for everything including vehicles. Met a girl, got married and couldn't get a loan for a house...... he had zero credit established.

It pays to take out a loan or some type of credit card/cards and pay the loan off a little early and build credit.

My father always told me...... " If you're not rich, you better have good credit." Doesn't mean you have to go way in dept...... it means you take out small loans etc. and pay them off on time or early and build credit that is useful if you ever need it..... it's easy to do.

View Quote

Exactly. Having no score has royally fucked me for a solid year.
In my case it was paying all my bills in cash and the bank's lack of reporting anything on a couple loans.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:51:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I agree 100%.  I started with a crappy Amoco gas card in college and got a loan for a used car after I graduated even though I could have paid cash.

Paid the car off early but not too early.

Worked for me.

I still have that car FWIW though I have a newer daily driver.

ETA: only current debt is mortgage and I'm paying that off in a month or two.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:51:54 PM EDT
[#12]
As do I.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:07:55 PM EDT
[#13]
70 year old step mother has a 500 FICO.  Other than being a joint lendee on a mortgage, not one line of credit in her life.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:09:29 PM EDT
[#14]
picollo who/what do you sail for??

Brown water or blue?

Just curious, im on a tugboat myself.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:09:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

but would you have known had they tried
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:10:23 PM EDT
[#16]
I also have a zero credit score. 34 and single, I work all over the state so it did'nt matter where I lived so  paid  $12,000 cash for a foreclosed house in a town of about 300. put around forty thousand into remodeling.(real house\no wheels). Work car, truck, motorcycle everything paid with cash. Not having credit is definitely not hurting me.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:21:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No such thing as a FICO score of 2. Or 0 for that matter either.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:31:20 PM EDT
[#18]
You can get a mortgage with no credit. You just have to actually go to the underwriters and have them do a proper history on your rather than dipshit #2 at the bank typing in your numbers.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:41:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
70 year old step mother has a 500 FICO.  Other than being a joint lendee on a mortgage, not one line of credit in her life.
View Quote

She better hurry up and improve that credit score!  She's running out of time!!!    
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:51:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Inevitably if you want something of significant value you'll need a loan.  Once you need that loan it benefits you greatly to save money from a lower interest rate achieved from a good credit rating.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:44:25 AM EDT
[#21]
AM bump
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:54:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Good for him....curious as to why you bumped your thread though...
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:31:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Dave Ramsey approves.............
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:36:41 AM EDT
[#24]
0-Horiible

or

0-Ghost

?

Because one is, (shrugs) meh, and the other is hilariously terrible.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:41:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I also have a zero credit score. 34 and single, I work all over the state so it did'nt matter where I lived so  paid  $12,000 cash for a foreclosed house in a town of about 300. put around forty thousand into remodeling.(real house\no wheels). Work car, truck, motorcycle everything paid with cash. Not having credit is definitely not hurting me.
View Quote

Hopefully you never have to move and need to buy a house that costs more than $12,000.

All of you guys who preach the no credit, no score lifestyle, do you rent?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:42:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

My father always told me the same thing.  He was a factory worker and never had much, but he paid his bills.  He would tell me how he could go down to the local bank and get a car loan when he needed it and I remember him doing it when I was a kid, all because he had good credit.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:45:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Slaves with weekends off.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:51:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No you didn't. Credit scores cannot be zero. They cannot be 2. Throughout the history of the agencies numbers have varied, but they generally start at 350, some of them start at 400.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:58:09 AM EDT
[#29]
you can hate it all you want but a good credit score is very beneficial. In MD, a better credit score means lower car insurance rates, and can actually impact your rates up to 40% or so. I saw it several times when older people cant get lower rates because they have paid cash all their life and have no credit.

I would also hate to need a loan or a mortgage and be denied because Ive paid cash all my life.

Its just one of those games we must play. get a credit card and pay it off monthly.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:05:02 AM EDT
[#30]
2007 when I bought my house I had a 0 (ZERO) credit score. Bought a house anyway with VA. Guy at the bank told me bad credit was better than no credit and he asked how could I have zero credit......Told him I been paying cash. If I didn't have the money...I didn't need it. Course I couldn't by the house I wanted and had to get a mortgage.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:05:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
you can hate it all you want but a good credit score is very beneficial. In MD, a better credit score means lower car insurance rates, and can actually impact your rates up to 40% or so. I saw it several times when older people cant get lower rates because they have paid cash all their life and have no credit.

I would also hate to need a loan or a mortgage and be denied because Ive paid cash all my life.

Its just one of those games we must play. get a credit card and pay it off monthly.
View Quote

I have a Capital One Platinum Rewards card that I pay off monthly. I have a ton of auto pays on it for monthly bills like my phone.  
Since I pay it off every month, I pay no interest.
I get rewards for every penny I spend.
I get monthly emails for retailers offering pretty damn large amounts of cash back points. Stuff like $5 back for spending $15 a Jason's deli. So I go spend 16 or dollars for my wife and I to eat, (at a place that we eat at regularly anyway, we ignore the retailers that we wouldn't patronize anyway) and my rewards balance goes up by 5 bucks. I pay it off monthly, so no balance, but every time my rewards balance gets to $25, it applies to my bill. So once or twice a month, $25 of my statement is deducted.
My credit score has improved 150 point in 3 years just doing this. With ZERO out of pocket expense.

I'm going to need someone explain to me how any of this is a bad thing. And there are arfcommers that claim it's a bad thing to have credit cards.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:07:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
2007 when I bought my house I had a 0 (ZERO) credit score. Bought a house anyway with VA. Guy at the bank told me bad credit was better than no credit and he asked how could I have zero credit......Told him I been paying cash. If I didn't have the money...I didn't need it. Course I couldn't by the house I wanted and had to get a mortgage.

View Quote

Saying that you 'zero credit' and a 'zero credit score' are two VASTLY different things.

You absolutely do not, nor have you ever had a zero credit score with any credit reporting agency.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:24:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I have a Capital One Platinum Rewards card that I pay off monthly. I have a ton of auto pays on it for monthly bills like my phone.  
I get monthly emails for retailers offering pretty damn large amounts of cash back points. Stuff like $5 back for spending $15 a Jason's deli. So I go spend 16 or dollars for my wife and I to eat, (at a place that we eat at regularly anyway, we ignore the retailers that we wouldn't patronize anyway) and my rewards balance goes up by 5 bucks. I pay it off monthly, so no balance, but every time my rewards balance gets to $25, it applies to my bill. So once or twice a month, $25 of my statement is deducted.
My credit score has improved 150 point in 3 years just doing this. With ZERO out of pocket expense.

I'm going to need someone explain to me how any of this is a bad thing. And there are arfcommers that claim it's a bad thing to have credit cards.
View Quote

Personally I don't carry cash and use plastic for everything and pay it off at the end of the month. The only interest I have paid on it was when I took a cash advance and the sneaky bastards require you pay the thing COMPLETELY off to stop the interest. Paying off at the end of the month doesn't do this.

You have to get a payoff number at the bank and pay it. I made that mistake once.

In 20 years I think my total interest has been under $20.

I use a credit card for convenience and NOT for credit.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:33:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Personally I don't carry cash and use plastic for everything and pay it off at the end of the month. The only interest I have paid on it was when I took a cash advance and the sneaky bastards require you pay the thing COMPLETELY off to stop the interest. Paying off at the end of the month doesn't do this.

You have to get a payoff number at the bank and pay it. I made that mistake once.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The credit it builds DOES benefit you though. Better credit means lower insurance rates.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:20:54 PM EDT
[#35]
PM bump
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:27:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Your credit score isn't about your "honesty" any longer, and in the beginning, it was about profiling your perceived wealth..  Today, a credit score is used for social engineering of consumers and it will only get worse.  Now its about your "mix" of credit, or the length you keep open accounts you dont need or want. Or making you take out different types of credit that you don't want, to get a mortgage that you need.  Its about conformity, and they have infiltrated everything from the rate you pay for insurance, to the jobs you can get. And to get what you need, you have to toe their line.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:43:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Credit is a double edged sword

My boss makes about 170k a year. Single lives in an apartment, pays cash for everything. Has a few hundred K in several bank accounts. Decided to buy a new Audi S5( fast mother fucker). Decided to finance it just because. Was going to Put 30 K cash down. Had trouble getting a loan, because he had no credit activity.
Ended up putting 50k down and financed the rest
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:45:21 PM EDT
[#38]
My Amish friend said " whooptie-friggin-do".    

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top