Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2013 11:20:36 PM EDT
We just got in to San Antonio tonight and so far we intend to hit the river walk and of course the Alamo tomorrow. We are heading to Austin tomorrow afternoon.

This is my first time in Texas, my girl used to live here and were down for the weekend.

Does anyone have any suggestions for food (BBQ!!!) or maybe just something we shouldn't miss in the area? (either SA or Austin)

Always up for a good gun shop, someplace with knives etc.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:03:37 AM EDT
[#1]
In the San Antonio area:

La Paloma Riverwalk (next to the Rainforest Cafe on the Riverwalk) has good Mexican food, ambiance and service.

Gruene TX is worth visiting - The Gristmill Restaurant has decent food (and a nice view of the Guadalupe River), and the Gruene Dancehall (located next door) often has good live music. There are also some interesting (albeit tourist-heavy) shops in the surrounding several blocks.

The town of Gruene intersects with River Road, which follows the Guadalupe River through some great country - makes a nice afternoon drive.

Floore's Country Store in Helotes (just Northwest of San Antonio) often has good entertainment in a small venue.

The Missions of San Antonio are interesting - They're scattered throughout the southern side of the city, mostly located along the old San Antonio River.

I would suggest avoiding the Tower Of The Americas - The admissions price has been raised to over 20 bucks apiece (just to ride the elevator to the top), and the tower restaurant serves pricey, mediocre food.

Other good Messican food in the area:

Taco Taco
Panchito's (Excellent for breakfast!)
Taco Garage

Decent barbecue:
County Line

Truck Stop Chinese (huge amounts of cheap Chinese food, with absolutely no ambience to ruin it):
Gin's

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:17:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Bleeding heart Antigun liberals
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:29:33 AM EDT
[#3]
if you're coming up to Austin from SA, swing through Lockhart and get BBQ at Black's.

In Austin, you can pretty much park somewhere downtown and stroll up Congress to the capitol building. It's open most of the time. If you have a CCW, you should be able to carry in the capitol building (yes, they check your license and let you right in) as long as your state has reciprocity with Texas. Can't remember if WA does or not.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:10:25 AM EDT
[#4]
FPNI pretty nicely, Gruene should be visited. swing into New Braunfels on your way down

I-35, little German place called Friesenhaus makes some of the best food and desserts.

Welcome to Texas, hope ya'll have a badass time.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:09:10 AM EDT
[#5]
If you are going to be in town Monday night and like honky tonk music, Dale Watson will be at the Continental Club in Austin.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:11:28 AM EDT
[#6]
If you don't eat @ Cooper's BBQ in New Braunfels, your tastebuds will hate you for life.  

Gruene Hall for a show.  Floore's Country Store is cool too.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:16:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Outside Austin, got to Mueller's BBQ in Taylor.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:33:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Make sure you ask to see the basement exhibit in the Alamo.  Its pretty cool.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:40:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Make sure you ask to see the basement exhibit in the Alamo.  Its pretty cool.
View Quote

This.

Also, eat excellent Mexican food.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:49:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Botanical Gardens in SA.

If you can score a reservation for dinner or Sunday brunch for "Mikes in the Village" in Bulverde do it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:51:47 AM EDT
[#11]
My parents are snowbirds firm Michigan in the winter. They spent this past winter in Texas. They said San Antonio was the best city they visited.

Since you are visiting the river walk, pay the couple bucks and get on the river boat.

Visit the world largest livestock auction in San Antonio. My parents were fascinated by it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:28:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

We will check out Gruene this afternoon after the riverwalk!

Any more suggestions are welcome! Any good sporting goods stores in the area?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:30:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:31:12 AM EDT
[#14]
McBride's Gun Store in Austin has a huge inventory and pretty good pricing. Also a great selection of used guns at good prices.

If you want to see some machineguns for sale, go to Sportsman's Finest in Austin. Insane prices but he usually has a bunch of class 3 for sale.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:34:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Any good sporting goods stores in the area?
View Quote

There's a Bass Pro store on the NW side of San Antonio, on I-10 at Loop 1604...

The closest Cabella's is in Buda, a tad south of Austin on I-35.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:40:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
We just got in to San Antonio tonight and so far we intend to hit the river walk and of course the Alamo tomorrow. We are heading to Austin tomorrow afternoon.

This is my first time in Texas, my girl used to live here and were down for the weekend.

Does anyone have any suggestions for food (BBQ!!!) or maybe just something we shouldn't miss in the area? (either SA or Austin)

Always up for a good gun shop, someplace with knives etc.

Thanks for any suggestions!
View Quote

Skydive San Marcos (between San Antonio and Austin)

Skydive Temple (north of Austin)

Red's Indoor Gun Range (South Austin and they have lots of rentals)
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:41:22 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Any good sporting goods stores in the area?

Neither of which are really worth your time. Well, Cabela's is nice to look at, but I think it's overpriced.

Can't believe Skibane didn't tell you to stop at Bill Millers!   LOL

For LGS I think Dury's is nice. A bit pricey, but not full of tards like some of the others. Great place to wish you had won the lottery  http://www.durysguns.com/

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:41:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

We will check out Gruene this afternoon after the riverwalk!

Any more suggestions are welcome! Any good sporting goods stores in the area?
View Quote

+1 on the suggestion to hit Cabela's. It's on I-35 in Buda (between San Marcos and Austin)
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:42:03 AM EDT
[#19]
There is a SHIT TON to do in that area.  A lot, unfortunately, is better in the summer or spring.

Try doing the Safari park in San Marcos, or visit Fredricksberg (lots of stuff there). Enchanted rock if youre adventurous

In SA, the River Walk is the shit, but.....im the nervous type and carry x2 CCW when im in SA.  

Austin....
Just try to NOT find something to do!!!!!   Go downtown, hit Barton Springs road, Congress st too.  
Just remember to get a DD

Oh, and eat at Chewys in Austin.   Also, for a pretty drive, if returning from Fredricksberg to Austin, go thru Johnson City.   AWESOME drive!!!
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:53:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Franklins BBQ, defiantly worth the wait
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:55:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:56:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

We will surely be trying them out. I saw a shit load of great reviews.

Anyone tried the Noble Pig? They seemed to be popular as well for a good sammich.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:57:47 AM EDT
[#23]
When it comes to BBQ then Franklins in Austin is king, but the 4-5 hour line is too much.

The suggestion earlier of stopping off in Lockhart for BBQ en route to Austin is excellent.

Lockhart has the best central texas BBQ and its the spiritual home of all TX BBQ.

Smittys - My personal favorite

Kruez - Larger than smittys, still excellent

Blacks - Tiny, excellent brisket, ribs not as good as above

I also LOVE to visit the Capitol building in Austin, as per everything in TX, its bigger. A couple of feet bigger I think than DC's Capitol.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:59:42 AM EDT
[#24]
If you want to have one of the best meals of your life, try Uchi or uchiko in Austin, better call now to make a reservation.

You can do good for about 165$ total maybe less
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:02:37 AM EDT
[#25]
It is a little out of town, but Louie Mueller Barbeque in Taylor.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:07:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Anyone tried the Noble Pig? They seemed to be popular as well for a good sammich.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just saw them on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives and it looks like they have some awesome food.  It is odd though as Texas is not known for pork.  Beef is king.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:11:02 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Make sure you ask to see the basement exhibit in the Alamo. Its pretty cool.
View Quote

They moved the ATM machine and the bathrooms to the basement a couple years back.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:12:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Also in Austin, check out esther follies, is a comedy/ magic show, they are located on 6th street and they use a lot of random drunken people in their skits.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:21:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Check out the Capitol complex, it's a pretty neat place to visit.

If you enjoy watching movies then go see one at an Alamo Drafthouse location.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:38:42 AM EDT
[#30]
For food in Austin:

County Line
Chuys
Hula Hut
Salt Lick if you're willing to drive for a bit
Stubb's BBQ
If you need fast food, eat at a Taco Cabana.  Its the best mexican fast food in the U.S.

If you drive up through Lockhart get BBQ there.  Black's is really good.

Go see the Capitol Building.  It has pretty good hours, and is CCW friendly as long as your state has reciprocity with Texas.

If you want to see the weirdness that is Austin, then wander around on Congress and 4th or 6th downtown.  Or visit Zilker Park, although more normal, its a fairly nice park.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:13:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
For food in Austin:

County Line
Chuys
Hula Hut
Salt Lick if you're willing to drive for a bit
Stubb's BBQ
If you need fast food, eat at a Taco Cabana.  Its the best mexican fast food in the U.S.

If you drive up through Lockhart get BBQ there.  Black's is really good.

Go see the Capitol Building.  It has pretty good hours, and is CCW friendly as long as your state has reciprocity with Texas.

If you want to see the weirdness that is Austin, then wander around on Congress and 4th or 6th downtown.  Or visit Zilker Park, although more normal, its a fairly nice park.
View Quote

+1

I don't know whether it is the best in the US (might be!) but it is THE choice in central Texas for fast Tex-Mex food without a doubt. Two thumbs up. Would give it more thumbs but I only have two.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:49:03 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

Anyone from around here knows that Salt Lick is only "OK" BBQ.  The other suggestions are much much better choices. Pretty much any of the BBQ places in Lockhart, Mueller's up in Taylor (Very peppery), and Cooper's in New Braunfels all kick the shit out of Salt Lick.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top