Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/25/2013 6:18:05 PM EDT
I notice when eating in restaurants they will sometimes ask "how would you like your burger cooked?" I thought there was only one way you could eat a burger and that was fully cooked, wouldn't eating a undercooked burger result in sickness or worse? I know steak meat does not apply being it has an outer layer that acts as a membrane keeping bacteria out so it really doesn't matter what the middle looks like but hamburger meat on the other hand does not, am I missing something here?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:20:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm sure you've eaten other things that bleed.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:20:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I prefer my burgers and meat in general to be cooked well

I base my preference on my liking of only pooping once a night and having it come out solid.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:21:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Depends on what meat they use
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:22:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted: ...am I missing something here?
View Quote

flavor and Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:23:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Depends on the meat.
I like my burgers bleeding.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:23:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I notice when eating in restaurants they will sometimes ask "how would you like your burger cooked?" I thought there was only one way you could eat a burger and that was fully cooked, wouldn't eating a undercooked burger result in sickness or worse? I know steak meat does not apply being it has an outer layer that acts as a membrane keeping bacteria out so it really doesn't matter what the middle looks like but hamburger meat on the other hand does not, am I missing something here?
View Quote

what

or did you take bong hits?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:23:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Medium rare or rare.
If I wanted charcoal on my bun I'd go that route.

Beef doesn't need more than a little heat.....and some cheese
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:24:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Dude, I LOVE me some raw hamburger! Seriously, my wife gets mad every time she cooks hamburger: I go into the kitchen and eat several bites. With a little salt it's great. My mom has done it for years herself, so I come by it genetically. Never gotten sick from it either.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:24:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Burger medium well. Steak rare.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:25:15 PM EDT
[#10]
A hamburger tastes like a hamburger.  A raw hamburger tastes different, I'm sure, but well done versus medium for a burger?  Not a noticeable difference.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:26:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Steak only has harmful bacteria on the outside. If the outside is cooked, it is good to go.

When you have ground beef, it has to be cooked all the way through, otherwise you risk getting sick because the harmful bacteria that was on the outside could be in the middle of the burger.

I would not eat a burger that was pink in the middle. It's not worth the risk, IMO.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:30:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

My moms best friend died of this, not a good way to go
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:32:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Steak only has harmful bacteria on the outside. If the outside is cooked, it is good to go.

When you have ground beef, it has to be cooked all the way through, otherwise you risk getting sick because the harmful bacteria that was on the outside could be in the middle of the burger.

I would not eat a burger that was pink in the middle. It's not worth the risk, IMO.
View Quote

We're gonna die from all that red meat anywho
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:32:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I once watched a SF Soldier eat 2 pounds of raw ground beef, with a raw egg and seasoning mixed it. He topped it off with a glass of scotch.
He said he does it whenever he feels low energy.

Eta, probably the coolest guy I know.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:33:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You probably won't die, but you will feel like it.

I'll take a slightly less flavorful burger over a week of stomach and intestinal hell. YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:34:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm sure you've eaten other things that bleed.
View Quote

"I'll wade in the red river anytime, I just won't drink from it"  - North Dallas Forty (the book, not that shitty movie)

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:36:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Burger medium well. Steak rare.

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:37:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Steak Tar-Tar.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:37:14 PM EDT
[#19]
med-rare for steak, medium for burgers.

I usually have enough alcohol in my system to check any possible ailment.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:41:35 PM EDT
[#20]
I like my burgers and chicken the way I like my women, a little pink in the middle.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:43:01 PM EDT
[#21]
This christmas season try some raw dog on crackers! You'll love it!
It is raw hamburger with eggs and spices! I love it! Look forward to it every year!
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:43:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Tartar, bitches. Go bloody or go home.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:45:16 PM EDT
[#23]
I like my burgers medium so they're a little juicy still instead of being dry.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:51:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This christmas season try some raw dog on crackers! You'll love it!
It is raw hamburger with eggs and spices! I love it! Look forward to it every year!
View Quote

Wow! How interesting! I have never tried that! Might have to someday!

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:51:14 PM EDT
[#25]
I had an uncle who always said, "Don't flip mine." Cooked on one side only, the other raw. Did not bother him.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:52:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I base my preference on my liking of only pooping once a night and having it come out solid.
View Quote

You paint quite a picture... with feces.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:53:01 PM EDT
[#27]
I like my hamburger done, but not burnt.  

Underdone hamburger could cause are number of nasty things.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:53:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

C-J prions survive ordinary cooking temps, and freezing. Took them a while to figure out how such prions work.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:56:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're telling ME!  I was hungry as hell at 3am at the Ecuadorian airport waiting to catch a flight back to the states.  Well, what does my hungry ass see while scanning the airport for possible food to consume?  A Johnny Rockets burger joint! I haul ass and order The Original which costs fucking $9.80!  With no drink or fries!  I add a Coke and begin to wait for my tasty burger.  Twenty minutes later a short, swarthy female brings me my burger.  I tear into it greedily, like Michael Moore at a buffet, and halfway through my delicious burger I notice it:  pink all through the middle.  I debate not eating the rest of the burger for a nano-second, but say "fuck it!" and press on.  Boy, I should have ejected as soon as I saw the pink meat.

Long story short, I got the runs the day after on Sunday and I called in sick Monday.  I was shitting my brains out till the following Sunday.  Oh, by the way, I didn't go to the doc and took Cipro for about three days, which didn't really help (later I found out that I should have taken the Cipro for much longer).  I got "better" for a couple of days, but then I started to get itchy ass symptoms.  I think I may have some type of bacterial infection still.  I feel constipated, but can poop a little, plus I feel full.

I hope I don't die.  I'm going to see the doc in a couple of days.

Don't eat pink burger meat.

Seriously.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:57:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Tartar, bitches. Go bloody or go home.
View Quote

lol

you a stupid bitch

it's tartare

now would be a good time to explain why you act commn
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:00:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

what

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

what

This is absolutely correct when referring to bacteria that the meat may be exposed to during processing or butchering. say for example there was E Coli present on a butchers counter. If you put a raw steak on it then grilled it rare, you would've still killed the bacteria present on the outside of the steak. However if you took the steak and ground in into hamburger, the same bacteria is now dispersed throughout so just cooking the outside of a hamburger patty to the proper temperature does not guarantee eliminating all present bacteria.

Not that I don't eat medium rare burgers, because I do.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:01:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You're telling ME!  I was hungry as hell at 3am in the Ecuadorian airport waiting to catch a flight back to the states.  Well, what do my hungry ass see while scanning the airport for possible food to consumer?  A Johnny Rockets burger joint! I haul ass and order The Original which costs fucking $9.80!  With no drink or fries!  I add a Coke and begin to wait for my tasty burger.  Twenty minutes later a short, swarthy female brings me my burger.  I tear into it greedily, like Michael Moore at a buffet, and halfway through my delicious burger I notice it:  pink all through the middle.  I debate not eating the rest of the burger for a nano-second, but say "fuck it!" and press on.  Boy, I should have ejected as soon as I saw the pink meat.

Long story short, I got the runs the day after on Sunday and I called in sick Monday.  I was shitting my brains out till Sunday.  Oh, by the way, I didn't go to the doc and took Cipro for about three days, which didn't really help (later I found out that I should have taken the Cipro for much longer).  I got "better" for a couple of days, but then I started to get itchy ass symptoms.  I think I may have some type of bacterial infection still.  I feel constipated, but can poop a little, plus I feel full.

Seriously.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're telling ME!  I was hungry as hell at 3am in the Ecuadorian airport waiting to catch a flight back to the states.  Well, what do my hungry ass see while scanning the airport for possible food to consumer?  A Johnny Rockets burger joint! I haul ass and order The Original which costs fucking $9.80!  With no drink or fries!  I add a Coke and begin to wait for my tasty burger.  Twenty minutes later a short, swarthy female brings me my burger.  I tear into it greedily, like Michael Moore at a buffet, and halfway through my delicious burger I notice it:  pink all through the middle.  I debate not eating the rest of the burger for a nano-second, but say "fuck it!" and press on.  Boy, I should have ejected as soon as I saw the pink meat.

Long story short, I got the runs the day after on Sunday and I called in sick Monday.  I was shitting my brains out till Sunday.  Oh, by the way, I didn't go to the doc and took Cipro for about three days, which didn't really help (later I found out that I should have taken the Cipro for much longer).  I got "better" for a couple of days, but then I started to get itchy ass symptoms.  I think I may have some type of bacterial infection still.  I feel constipated, but can poop a little, plus I feel full.

Seriously.

I've been eating mid rare burgers for a couple decades, never had a problem.

Now, if I was in Ecuador... yeah, I might have to order mid well, or get something else.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:02:16 PM EDT
[#33]

Rare meat is good meat.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:02:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Wait you can make hamburgers from ground beef instead of hamburger meat?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:03:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

You're telling ME!  I was hungry as hell at 3am at the Ecuadorian airport waiting to catch a flight back to the states.  Well, what does my hungry ass see while scanning the airport for possible food to consume?  A Johnny Rockets burger joint! I haul ass and order The Original which costs fucking $9.80!  With no drink or fries!  I add a Coke and begin to wait for my tasty burger.  Twenty minutes later a short, swarthy female brings me my burger.  I tear into it greedily, like Michael Moore at a buffet, and halfway through my delicious burger I notice it:  pink all through the middle.  I debate not eating the rest of the burger for a nano-second, but say "fuck it!" and press on.  Boy, I should have ejected as soon as I saw the pink meat.

Seriously.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously.

That sucks man

Hope you feel better soon!
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:05:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Wait a sec. Hamburger is steak?

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:07:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Rare to medium rare for burgers, blue to rare for steaks. You should eat at better restaurants if they don't ask you how you want something cooked.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:08:12 PM EDT
[#38]
It all depends upon the surface area for me. I will NOT eat ground meat that is red. I'll eat a red steak though, my thinking is bacteria grows on surfaces usually. Prions on the other hand usually live inside of the meat. Prions can only be killed with a lot of heat which means no rare steak, only well done.

I believe alcohol kills pions in the body but not bacteria.

I'm good.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:08:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That sucks man

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously.

That sucks man

So do I, brother!
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:08:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used to have a psych frequent-flyer who did that.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:09:22 PM EDT
[#41]
I watched a fellow on the food network eat raw ground chicken, beef & turkey. It was from specialty shop and my first thought was " Yep, your going to die a very horrible messy death with something coming out of both ends "

I cook all my meat well done.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:10:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Eating an undercooked hamburger made me what I am today.

Horribly out of shape from 18 months of inactivity, recovering from heart and kidney failure and watching finances slide towards zero until I can get my doc's final OK to return to work.  Oh, and being one of the no lifes who hangs out on Arfcom all day because I don't have anything more constructive to do with my life.

All thanks to being so damned hungry that I decided that I would eat the pink in the middle burger I bought just as the grill was closing.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:11:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I once watched a SF Soldier eat 2 pounds of raw ground beef, with a raw egg and seasoning mixed it. He topped it off with a glass of scotch.
He said he does it whenever he feels low energy.

Eta, probably the coolest guy I know.
View Quote

Meatloaf usually makes me tired.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:12:23 PM EDT
[#44]
I had a med-rare burger for lunch today.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:14:52 PM EDT
[#45]
You are more likely to get sick because the chef at the restaurant didn't wash his hands after taking a dump right before he made your dinner.

Chances that there was some kind of bacteria on the meat from the butcher is pretty low.

I eat mine medium

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:16:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Horribly out of shape from 18 months of inactivity, recovering from heart and kidney failure and watching finances slide towards zero until I can get my doc's final OK to return to work.  Oh, and being one of the no lifes who hangs out on Arfcom all day because I don't have anything more constructive to do with my life.

All thanks to being so damned hungry that I decided that I would eat the pink in the middle burger I bought just as the grill was closing.
View Quote

Damn, bro, I hope you make a full recovery.
Urbankoas04, you too.

I've been eating my steaks rare, and my burgers med., my whole life. I also cook porkchops till they are just slightly pink in the center. I cook chicken all the way through, though.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:18:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/XYcBRUUp0is
View Quote

what the fuck!?!?!?!!?  Are those maggots in his gums?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:19:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/XYcBRUUp0is

watch what you eat if it's undercooked.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:20:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm going w/this..
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:22:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

you had food poisoning so bad that it laid you out for 18 months?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top