Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2013 11:34:35 AM EDT
Speculation is out in the S5. I'm not yet sold on the size of the note 3. I'm tired of my iPhone 4s.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:37:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Ya I am in the same boat, so tag for opinions.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:40:33 AM EDT
[#2]
The Note series IMHO is for women who have purses to carry such a large item.  I wouldn't want that in a pocket.  I'd also get one of those flip cover/cases for it if I had one, but I wouldn't get something that large as a phone.  

Can you handle one freely to put it in your pocket?  Or do you open carry your phone?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:45:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the note 2 and I love it. I pocket carry as well as carry it in a surface holster/case by seidio. Great phone. When my contract is up next year at this time I'll get the note 4! I'll never go back to a sub 5in screen again.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:48:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the note 2.  I've had it for six months and I love it.  Buddy of mine just got the note 3; his first "phablet," and he's thrilled with it.  The larger screen is awesome, and the few times I fly I've watched movies on it.  It does double-duty for me - phone and tablet.  I use the stylus to hand-write notes during meetings.  It's also replaced my Kindle Fire - it does everything the Kindle can - so I gave that to my wife.

Now that I've had a larger phone, I can never see myself going back to a small one again.  

I'm tall - 6' 2" and have large hands and long fingers.  It's big enough to give me reasonably-large keys for typing on the touch screen, and I have no problem slipping it in my pants pockets.  I'm not a jeans guy - I either wear sweatpants, cargo pants, or dress pants - no problem fitting the phone in my pocket.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:48:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I like the Note 3 but think I'm going to just buy a Nexus 5 and switch from AT&T and call it a day.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:49:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Speculation is out in the S5. I'm not yet sold on the size of the note 3. I'm tired of my iPhone 4s.
View Quote

I went from an iPhone 4s to a Galaxy S4, a week later I got a space-gray iPhone 5s (64g) and have no regrets.

I hated the Galaxy.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:51:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I just bought a Note 3 on Tuesday.  Love the thing so far!  I too was concerned with the size, but its been nothing but perfect so far.  Still pocketable.  Doing anything on its big screen is amazing.  I'm glad I took the plunge.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:53:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Picked up a Note 3 for me and a S4 for the wife on Monday.

I love it! Super fast, battery lasts and lasts. Way better than any Moto product that I have owned.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:59:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have the note 2 and I love it. I pocket carry as well as carry it in a surface holster/case by seidio. Great phone. When my contract is up next year at this time I'll get the note 4! I'll never go back to a sub 5in screen again.
View Quote

This. If you really use your phone then less than 5" inches is for queers. I'm a mechanical contractor in the dairy and general construction industries. I have a note 2 with a zerolemon brand battery that doubles the thickness but 3x more life. I have a belt clip and it works fine. I have a note 13" tablet as well for when the phone isn't big enough but I don't want to fire up my laptop.

Some days I don't wear my belt clip and just stick my phone in my back or shirt pocket when i'm walking around, usually use the clip though.

For reference i'm 5'8" and the note 2 isn't too big for my hands.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 12:02:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I went from an iPhone 4s to a Galaxy S4, a week later I got a space-gray iPhone 5s (64g) and have no regrets.

I hated the Galaxy.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I hated the Galaxy.

I'm just the opposite. I hated the iPhone and love my Galaxy. And I used the iPhone for much longer than a week.

I was considering a Note but ended up going with the S4.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 12:04:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The Note series IMHO is for women who have purses to carry such a large item.  I wouldn't want that in a pocket.  I'd also get one of those flip cover/cases for it if I had one, but I wouldn't get something that large as a phone.  

Can you handle one freely to put it in your pocket?  Or do you open carry your phone?
View Quote

derp
any normal sized pockets are big enough for the phone.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 12:06:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Note 2 owner here.  I really can't imagine going back.  You get used to the size so fast that you don't even realize that it is big.  For me, it fits in a front pocket perfectly.  It is always oriented correctly and is actually easier to remove by just grabbing the corner.

I don't recommend the flip case.  They are a pain in the ass and offer little protection.  Get a standard $4 silicone case on Amazon.  The screen doesn't scratch easily, but it will break more easily than more diminutive models.  get the insurance from Squaredeal.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 12:07:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I hated the Galaxy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hated the Galaxy.

what didn't you like about it?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 12:18:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I am typing this on a Note3, an upgrade from my S3.  The screen size is fantastic, split screen extremely useful, and the stylus is very handy.  The larger size allows for a larger battery, another plus.   I thought the size would be "too much", but even with an Incipio case it easily fits in any of my pants pockets (though not always in a shirt pocket).

I do a lot of work on my phone, and it is a great boon to productivity.  I considered going with the S4 and a small tablet but then you have the hassle of keeping two devices charged, and running a hot spot on my S3 ate the battery quickly.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 12:35:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Interesting.

I just went from an iPhone 4s to a Note 3 about two weeks ago.  I labored and debated whether or not to make the giant (for me) leap.

I was sorely disappointed that Apple did not update the 5s in either screen size or storage size.  I skipped the upgrade from 4s to 5 so I was really hoping for the aforementioned changes.  It was not to be so I weighed my options.

Now mind you, I have over 100 books and over 5,500 songs as well as a few movies and such invested through iTunes, not to mention many paid apps. In addition, I've owned an iPod/iPhone since they first came out.

So, like I said, this was a potential sea change for me.

In addition I was really concerned that the size of the Note 3 was too big.  I wanted big, but I didn't want goofy big.  Also, I sort of wanted an iPad/tablet but just could get myself to spend my dough on such a personally niche item.

I almost ordered a Note 3 over the phone through my carrier but chickened out because I had never actually seen or held a Note 3 and was again worried it would be stupid big.  So I actually went to my carrier's store, and quite frankly, as soon as I saw it and held it I knew it was perfect and exactly what I was looking for.  I bought it on the spot.

Now, yes, it's not quite as easy to carry, but the screen is gorgeous and the screen size is everything I had longed for.

Having said all this, I will tell you, that for me, there was, and still is, a pretty steep learning curve.  Apple is very intuitive and Samsung/Android are easy, but a bit more layered with menus.

After about two weeks I feel very comfortable saying that I made the correct decision.  I love my Note 3.  I have transferred almost everything over from my iPhone with the exception of all my songs and books.  I intend to complete that task this weekend.  

Also, did I mention that in addition to 32gb of onboard storage I added a 64gb micro SD card?  Did I also mention that the battery on the Note 3 is replaceable.

While I don't own any other Apple products, I was knee-deep in the iPhone/iTunes ecosystem and I am delighted that I bought the Note 3.  Would I go back to using an iPhone? Maybe, if Apple added a big screen and more storage.  And maybe we'll see that in an iPhone 6 or 6s, but for now I'm delighted with the Note 3.

Hope this insight is helpful.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 12:45:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I hated the Galaxy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hated the Galaxy.

I love mine.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 12:47:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Interesting.

I just went from an iPhone 4s to a Note 3 about two weeks ago.  I labored and debated whether or not to make the giant (for me) leap.

I was sorely disappointed that Apple did not update the 5s in either screen size or storage size.  I skipped the upgrade from 4s to 5 so I was really hoping for the aforementioned changes.  It was not to be so I weighed my options.

Now mind you, I have over 100 books and over 5,500 songs as well as a few movies and such invested through iTunes, not to mention many paid apps. In addition, I've owned an iPod/iPhone since they first came out.

So, like I said, this was a potential sea change for me.

In addition I was really concerned that the size of the Note 3 was too big.  I wanted big, but I didn't want goofy big.  Also, I sort of wanted an iPad/tablet but just could get myself to spend my dough on such a personally niche item.

I almost ordered a Note 3 over the phone through my carrier but chickened out because I had never actually seen or held a Note 3 and was again worried it would be stupid big.  So I actually went to my carrier's store, and quite frankly, as soon as I saw it and held it I knew it was perfect and exactly what I was looking for.  I bought it on the spot.

Now, yes, it's not quite as easy to carry, but the screen is gorgeous and the screen size is everything I had longed for.

Having said all this, I will tell you, that for me, there was, and still is, a pretty steep learning curve.  Apple is very intuitive and Samsung/Android are easy, but a bit more layered with menus.

After about two weeks I feel very comfortable saying that I made the correct decision.  I love my Note 3.  I have transferred almost everything over from my iPhone with the exception of all my songs and books.  I intend to complete that task this weekend.  

Also, did I mention that in addition to 32gb of onboard storage I added a 64gb micro SD card?  Did I also mention that the battery on the Note 3 is replaceable.

While I don't own any other Apple products, I was knee-deep in the iPhone/iTunes ecosystem and I am delighted that I bought the Note 3.  Would I go back to using an iPhone? Maybe, if Apple added a big screen and more storage.  And maybe we'll see that in an iPhone 6 or 6s, but for now I'm delighted with the Note 3.

Hope this insight is helpful.
View Quote

I also am knee-deep in Apple/Itunes crap.

I just used a free(limited time) program to transfer all my Itunes onto my new note 3. Wondershare Mobilgo, quick and easy.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 12:48:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Note 3

It's not THAT big... I can fit my Galaxy Tab 8.0 in my pocket so my Note 2 is no big deal.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 12:50:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I love mine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hated the Galaxy.

I love mine.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 12:52:07 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote

Militarize your pockets.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 12:53:48 PM EDT
[#21]
As was stated a few posts above, there is a steep(ish) learning curve going form iOS to Android.  iOS is simple and elegant, but not particularly powerful.  Android tends to be less user friendly (although that's less of an issue from ICS onward), but in my opinion WAY more useful and powerful.  I've used both, and I run 100% Android now (both phone and tablet).  The Note series is a great trade-off between the tablet and the phone.  I don't own one, but I have several friends who do and they all love theirs.

For the record I use an HTC One and a Nexus 7.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 12:56:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Unless you are going too root them or they make goggle play editions without the bloatware, get neither.

Nexus 5
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:02:44 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Or do you open carry your phone?
View Quote

Singe point sling.  

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:09:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Wait for the Nexus 5.  It'll be announced in 6 days.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:45:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Note 3, unless you plan on sticking it in the pockets of your metrosexual skinny jeans
I love the bigger screens myself, and usually have a coat pocket or cargo pocket on my pants to carry in.

I also don't understand the hate about it being to big to hold to your head. I rarely hold my phone to my head and haven't for years.

Between hands free in the car, speaker phone, or bluetooth headset its a non-issue for me.

If you don't have pockets and use your phone as a phone and handset most of the time I would say get a smaller phone.

Otherwise you will love the bigger size.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:54:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Nexus 5?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:00:17 PM EDT
[#27]
S5 speculation already? Jesus, these phones are getting worse than the Call of Duty and Battlefield franchises. I really want to replace my HTC EVO 3D with something, especially something with a better screen and camera; but damn, as soon as I get an S4 the S5 will probably be on the way out.

I'm really thinking hard about the iPhone though. I really like the Android based smartass phones better; but, iPhone does have a shit ton more accessories available. Including shooting accessories like the scope adapter that lets you use your iPhone as a scope cam. Do want.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:16:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

derp

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

derp

Derp yourself. Just because it fits doesn't mean it's comfortable. He has to try it and see what he thinks.

Derp.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:17:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Removable battery and micro sd slot this time?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:20:38 AM EDT
[#30]
I have a Note 2 with Otterbox, its not as bad as you think, still fits right in my front shirt pocket.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:27:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:30:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have a note 3, and its amazing. Speed, Clarity, camera everything! Is the Nexus really going to trump it?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:40:20 AM EDT
[#33]
The note three has a watch phone accessory.

You will take so many girls to pound town with that.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:43:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Motorola Moto X, best android phone I've ever used.  Stock Android, combined with active notifications, and good battery life.  Plus, Motorola's notoriously good radios.  This in a smallish chassis with a 4.7" screen.  I've been extremely happy with this device, and they just completely fixed the camera with the last update.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:51:05 AM EDT
[#35]
LG G2...the best specced Android phone on the market outside a Note 3.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:02:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I have a note 3, and its amazing. Speed, Clarity, camera everything! Is the Nexus really going to trump it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It won't trump it, but it'll rival it.  Most likely the note will still have more ram than the nexus but the nexus will run pure android.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:53:04 PM EDT
[#37]
I returned the Note 3 after two days of use.  It was simply awkward.  Awkward to get in and out of my pocket; awkward to handle one-handed (even with the one-handed stuff enabled); awkward for typing (too narrow in portrait, too wide in landscape); awkward using the stylus (super thin and the button was awkward to click while hovering over the screen).  The s-pen I found to be mostly a gimmick.  A stylus is nice, but the handwriting recognition didn't like my penmanship.  The special s-pen apps from the air-command menu would rarely be used and drawing a box for the floating apps is especially gimmicky, it should just launch the app at a default size and let you re-size it afterward.  The split-screen only worked for particular apps; I thought I was going to be able to stick it in a car mount and run Pandora/Trapster, for instance.  When I encrypted the phone it would only allow a password unlock, instead of a PIN, really annoying.  It is too wide and tall already, I cannot imagine adding a case.  The volume and power buttons are opposite each other, a poor design that leads to either activating the power button when you want the volume or vice-versa.

I was glad to pay the re-stocking fee to get rid of it and back out of the contract.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:59:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Note 3 is awesome. I upgraded to it from an iPhone 4S.

Fits in all my pockets just fine.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:56:48 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm still rockin' my old Droid X........
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:02:12 PM EDT
[#40]
With the different size phones, it's a really personal decision.

Of my Note using friends, half love them and the other half constantly complain that they are too big. When my gf asks me to carry hers... Well I did once and quickly realized I have no interest in something so big. I tell her to leave that big ass thing in the car when she can't carry it lol

Cut some cardboard to Note size and see how you like carrying that around all day haha. It's definitely not for me, but some people love them. Find a way to decide for yourself rather than listen to people online as the size thing varies so much from person to person.
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 7:44:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:  The volume and power buttons are opposite each other, a poor design that leads to either activating the power button when you want the volume or vice-versa.
View Quote

On this point I would completely concur.  I do wish they would have put the power button on top like the iPhone, otherwise I like the Note 3.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top