Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2013 6:59:07 PM EDT
USA Today is reporting (link) that the Kenyan's new friends the Iranians could be as close as a month away from having enough fissile material to make a bomb. Assuming that this is true when do the Israelis act, if they decide to do so, and what such an attack look like? Duration? How would the Iranians respond? How would the major players in the region react?
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 7:01:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Where's it located and how was this information obtained?
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 7:01:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Israel has been foing for better than a half a century.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 7:02:21 PM EDT
[#3]
they wont act without the US
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 7:03:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd guess a terrible mistake by an Iranian scientist brings the whole facility crashing down.

If that fails, they'd carpet bomb those goat fuckers back to the Persian Empire.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 7:06:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Um they have in the past. Look up the Iraq Nuclear reactor strike.

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 7:06:31 PM EDT
[#6]
The Obama administration has decided to allow Iran to get the bomb.
Israel will not.
This will get interesting.
I think Israel will do it soon enough so as not to be too close the 2014 US Congressional elections.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 7:20:14 PM EDT
[#7]
My theory is Israel is done with the US, they've already discussed this in secret with the Saudis, Oman, Bahrain, Turkey and Jordan, and they're all agreed--Iran must go.  Only the big Shiite states want Iran to be powerful.  The Sunni states are ready to do something, and if Israel will do it for them, so much the better.  But I'm no expert, and I've never been to the Mid East.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 7:24:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Iran's been six months from getting the bomb for years.

Israel already has the bomb. They'd be fools to attack Israel.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 7:29:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

30 some years ago, how many billions in aid since?

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 7:30:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Israelis will strike when they  deem necessary...as they have over 100 nukes....and could completely obliterate Iran anytime they wanted too...
FWIW they have been assassinating their nuke scientists and computer geeks left and right as best as they can...
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 7:31:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ya right

They know they have to act alone with this administration
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 7:36:57 PM EDT
[#12]
They'll fo as soon as the Zekes top the wall.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 7:51:46 PM EDT
[#15]
When they are certain someone has a weapon or they can't stop one from being made.

I'm sure they know the exact state if Irans nuke program and as long as they can make a scientist go boom here and there to keep things from happening they will hold off.

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:35:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wouldn't count on that.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:38:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
/thread

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

/thread

Yep!  
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:41:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yep!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Originally Posted By Tomislav:

/thread

Yep!  

Word up!    
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:46:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Operation Jew Strike? What color will the ribbons be?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:46:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Israelis are pussies.They will never FO.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:51:17 PM EDT
[#24]
NOTHING will happen as always.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:51:27 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not thirty years ago. They've been killing iranian physicists like nobodies business, and stuxnet was genius.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:57:51 PM EDT
[#26]
If they are going to go it's going to have to be soon.

As capable as the IDF and the Israeli Airforce are, a strike to take out Iran's uranium enrichment facilities doesn't really play to their strengths.  I'd not even sure they have the required equipment, not having any sort of serious bomber force capable of carrying bunker buster bombs of the required size.  I just don't believe that the F15 Strike Eagle is the right tool for this.  

I hope I'm wrong and they do have the wherewithal to carry out this mission, but the world shouldn't depend on Israel to do the heavy lifting on an issue with such global implications.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:00:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

As capable as the IDF and the Israeli Airforce are, a strike to take out Iran's uranium enrichment facilities doesn't really play to their strengths.  I'd not even sure they have the required equipment, not having any sort of serious bomber force capable of carrying bunker buster bombs of the required size.  I just don't believe that the F15 Strike Eagle is the right tool for this.  

I hope I'm wrong and they do have the wherewithal to carry out this mission, but the world shouldn't depend on Israel to do the heavy lifting on an issue with such global implications.

View Quote

I like your avatar.

And no one says the jews have to do it all in one trip...
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:02:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Iran's been six months from getting the bomb for years.

Israel already has the bomb. They'd be fools to attack Israel.
View Quote

It's very unlikely that Israel will make first use of the bomb.  Israel's nuclear weapons might be a successful deterrent against Iran using their bomb, but it won't be a deterrent against Iran getting the bomb in the first place.  That would require a significant conventional strike.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:09:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I like your avatar.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like your avatar.

The problem is that Iran has put their enrichment facilities deep underground (Natanz for example).  If you can't drop a very large bunker buster (or go to a nuclear bunker buster), you really just can't do them any damage.  I think we're talking about something on the order of a Tallboy or Grandslam or larger here.  Say 10,000 to 20,000 lbs or more.  Israel just doesn't have anything in their inventory that can carry something that large.  I suppose if you're prepared to take very large losses you might convert cargo or commercial aircraft to the task, but definitely not an optimal delivery system.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:10:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Iranian nuclear sites are scattered across the country in hardened bunkers under mountains and such.  Fighters can't lug a bunker buster big enough to bother them.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:17:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
/thread

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

/thread

Well played. Thanks for posting.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:18:02 PM EDT
[#32]

Iran is far enough away from Iran and have dispersed their assets/targets well enough that I don't think the Israelis can stop the Iranians.

I think the answer to the Iranian bomb problem is to simply destroy their economy.

"Simply" is probably a bit of an understatement.  The quickest way would be to put up a naval blockade on the Iranians and shut off their money (i.e. unrest in the streets by the part of the population that isn't enamored with the ruling religious government.)

Or we can hope that the current sanctions eventually work.  

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:21:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Iran is far enough away from Iran and have dispersed their assets/targets well enough that I don't think the Israelis can stop the Iranians.

I think the answer to the Iranian bomb problem is to simply destroy their economy.

"Simply" is probably a bit of an understatement.  The quickest way would be to put up a naval blockade on the Iranians and shut off their money (i.e. unrest in the streets by the part of the population that isn't enamored with the ruling religious government.)

Or we can hope that the current sanctions eventually work.  

View Quote

A blockade might well do the trick.  The problem is that there is no political will in this administration for that and Israel doesn't have the forces to enforce a blockade on it's on.  And if we're waiting on the "international community" to do it we might as well be waiting on unicorns.  

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:23:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

They are a nation state with natural resources. They can't be stopped. The most that can be hoped for is to upset the timetable. Upsetting the time table forces them into an adversarial and hostile posture once they go nuclear.

1. The world will simply be forced to accept a nuclear Iran.
2. Most Iranians are self absorbed, busy with their own lives, and don't GAF about Israel or America other than the sanctions that prevent them from going about their business.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:27:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
USA Today is reporting (link) that the Kenyan's new friends the Iranians could be as close as a month away from having enough fissile material to make a bomb. Assuming that this is true when do the Israelis act, if they decide to do so, and what such an attack look like? Duration? How would the Iranians respond? How would the major players in the region react?
View Quote

i'm sorry, 13er here and i have tro ask.....I know 20 meaning for FO.  What does it mean on Arfcom?   I've seen it used a many places I could apply a number of definitions to....  Can someone clue me in?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:34:55 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View Quote

hehe you keep thinking that.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:36:11 PM EDT
[#37]
lol Tomislav, how dare you bring logic into GD.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:36:23 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
i'm sorry, 13er here and i have tro ask.....I know 20 meaning for FO.  What does it mean on Arfcom?   I've seen it used a many places I could apply a number of definitions to....  Can someone clue me in?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fo = alcohol supported decision to move forward on a questionable course of action. Drunk typo of the verb "go".

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:38:49 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

The Obama administration has decided to allow Iran to get the bomb.

Israel will not.

This will get interesting.

I think Israel will do it soon enough so as not to be too close the 2014 US Congressional elections.

View Quote
yes...soon, I hope.  Israel does not need to wait for our permission.  

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:31:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

They are a nation state with natural resources. They can't be stopped. The most that can be hoped for is to upset the timetable. Upsetting the time table forces them into an adversarial and hostile posture once they go nuclear.

2. Most Iranians are self absorbed, busy with their own lives, and don't GAF about Israel or America other than the sanctions that prevent them from going about their business.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We didn't have to accept a nuclear armed Cuba.  You have to either destroy the ability or make the process to that end goal more painful than what it's worth.

I think the targets are so well dispersed that it would take a protacted campaign to destroy it.  Israel doesn't have the ability and we don't have the will.

That means that we have to go after something else - the ability of the country to survive....economically.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:42:32 AM EDT
[#42]
And, the ''Muslim-in-Chief'' is too busy trying to destroy America to give much thought to Iran. He has his hands full here.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:47:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Israel won't do squat, unless the US will join in and foot the damn bill for that war.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top