Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2013 4:00:07 PM EDT
I have a 6.4 ford that is offroad only on my farm.  Since it is farm use, the EPA can choke on it as far as I care.  I am going to drop a tune on it, and a full 5" exhaust with cool air intake.

What may be out of my expertise is the EGR delete.  On a scale of difficulty how would you rate the job of doing the EGR delete on a 6.4 ford cab on?

Parts have been ordered and will be here early next week.  I do not have access to a lift, but i can jack it, or use ramps to gain a little space to work on the exhaust.

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:16:34 PM EDT
[#1]
First off I'm not claiming to be a diesel mechanic, but know a little (mainly older stuff).

I've never done it on a 6.4 so I can't really give you an accurate answer.  I  done two on 6.0's and they weren't bad too bad at all.  Although I can't remember the sites, but there are several diesel forums on the web and you could get a good idea of what it takes.

The kit I got from Sinister, came with step by step instructions for how to do it on a 6.0
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:20:59 PM EDT
[#2]
The book calls for a 6 or 7 hour job for this.  Thats like 500 dollars.  I think I can get it done in 8-10 hrs

I ordered the sinister kit also.  I just have to take off half the engine it seems to do the delete.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:37:27 PM EDT
[#3]
how are you gong to do the delete? block off plate in between the egr and up-pipe and tune off the egr, or complete removal? you really shouldn't need a lift. I have replaced couple 6.4 egr coolers and if I recall right a lift is very helpful but not a deal breaker, you will need to get the drivers tire off to have room. powerstroke.org is a great place, lots of info
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:41:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
how are you gong to do the delete? block off plate in between the egr and up-pipe and tune off the egr, or complete removal? you really shouldn't need a lift. I have replaced couple 6.4 egr coolers and if I recall right a lift is very helpful but not a deal breaker, you will need to get the drivers tire off to have room. powerstroke.org is a great place, lots of info
View Quote

Yeah, I watched a youtube video last night. I will turn it off with the H&S mini maxx then use the plates to block it off.  This is the 150ish dollar delete kit, it is not the 1k one with a waste gate, as I am not racing this thing, just using it, and making it as bullet proof as I can.  I plan on this being the last diesel truck I ever own.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:47:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Different truck, but I have a dodge CTD that I want to delete, but I still tons of warranty left. I found a lot of how to's online to delete. The CTD egr is a snap to delete. Google and YouTube may be your friend.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:47:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Hopefully the Gearbox-Z delete with no tune isn't too bad.  It's only CAT back, so we'll see.  Should be here next week.  I'm also only using it on closed course and it should not to be driven on an roads.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:48:36 PM EDT
[#7]
powerstroke.org has the answers and experience you seek.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:48:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Some of you guys need to understand that putting this on a licensed vehicle is illegal.  Asking about putting it on one violates CoC #4.  This can only be done on offroad vehicles and race vehicles.  

Keep that in mind.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:50:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hopefully the Gearbox-Z delete with no tune isn't too bad.  It's only CAT back, so we'll see.  Should be here next week.  I'm also only using it on closed course and it should not to be driven on an roads.
View Quote

I lost my mind and spent way too much on this kit.  But, I don't plan on ever buying another diesel. So I guess it washes.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:51:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I looked at the kit, looks like both coolers get removed? if so I the one thing I will say is that leave the brackets for the lower cooler in place, you don't want to be messing with the manifold bolts, they have been known to break and if so your in for a treat
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:52:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I lost my mind and spent way too much on this kit.  But, I don't plan on ever buying another diesel. So I guess it washes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll never buy another diesel pickup either.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:53:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Didn't the major tuners stop selling delete software?
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:54:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

apparently not
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:55:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

last I heard EPA that turned up the heat big time, and most major players had, but you can still have a tune made
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:58:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:00:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Keep talking smack fanboi
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:04:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I have seen a bunch of 6.4 with the DPF delete and it really helped Them as far a power, fuel econemy and last longer.

I have never seen a 6.4 with a EGR delete.
The 2 EGR coolers and all the pipes and coolent lines would be a PITA to take off.
I would just leave it, the 6.4 coolers don't blow like the 6.0 ones do for no reason.
They only blow when the coolent level gets low due to radiator or hose o-ring leaks.

I have changed Them in cab and that is not a big deal.
Pull the drivers battery tray/ degas bottle and the radiator and fan out. it's all right there.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:06:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Many of the higher power tunes will disable the EGR valve from opening at all. This mitigates the recycling of gasses but won't protect against a leak. If I had a tuned farm truck, that's what I would do.

Quoted:
View Quote

It's not advertised on the websites but the files are still available and there's always the option of buying a used tuner.

It's definitely become harder to get, though.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:26:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have seen a bunch of 6.4 with the DPF delete and it really helped Them as far a power, fuel econemy and last longer.

I have never seen a 6.4 with a EGR delete.
The 2 EGR coolers and all the pipes and coolent lines would be a PITA to take off.
I would just leave it, the 6.4 coolers don't blow like the 6.0 ones do for no reason.
They only blow when the coolent level gets low due to radiator or hose o-ring leaks.

I have changed Them in cab and that is not a big deal.
Pull the drivers battery tray/ degas bottle and the radiator and fan out. it's all right there.
View Quote

My wife had a 2008 Ford crewcab with the 6.0 that we bought new.  Had 13,000 miles on it, we took it to CO to go skiing with some friends(6 of us total) and it broke down east of Brush, CO.  I'll bet not very many of you know what's east of Brush, CO.  

Fucking nothing.  
Nothing, and I'm the guy that get's dogged for living in the middle of nowhere.  We called a tow truck and a taxi(not really a taxi, just a former child molester that had lost most of his teeth, owned a minivan--no free candy--and was willing to pick five of us up) it took 45 minutes for the taxi molester and an hour and a half for the tow truck.  I waited for the truck.  Nothing is better than sitting on the interstate watching semis blow by you.  

There.  That's my irrelevant story for the night.

So far.

ETA: dramatic effect
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:27:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My wife had a 2008 Ford crewcab with the 6.0 that we bought new.  Had 13,000 miles on it, we took it to CO to go skiing with some friends(6 of us total) and it broke down east of Brush, CO.  I'll bet not very many of you know what's east of Brush, CO.  
View Quote

If it was a 2008 then it's a 6.4
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:30:41 PM EDT
[#21]
what does the engine use for a wastegate...oh thats right the EGR valve..........please rethink this and start using a cetane booster instead
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:32:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck....it was an 06..  My pickup is an 08.   Damn whiskey
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:38:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
what does the engine use for a wastegate...oh thats right the EGR valve..........please rethink this and start using a cetane booster instead
View Quote

?

I don't speak dieselease, can you break that down to shadetree mechanic please
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:46:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

?

When the turbo's are all spooled up and flowing all that air, You let off the throttle. the engine stops using the air but the turbo is still spinning it in.
The Air on most gas turbo cars have a wastegate that blows the air back into the inlet side of the turbo to relive pressure.
The Diesel does not, it uses the EGR vavle by opening it some and letting the boost off into the intake.
Diesels do not have a throttle plate so the air in the intake does not matter.
Without the EGR/ Waste gate the exsess pressure has to go somehwere and can blow out intercoolers/ pipes and hoses/ danage the turbo, ect.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:47:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
powerstroke.org has the answers and experience you seek.
View Quote

+1 for above and also:
FORD TRUCK FORUMS
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:53:16 PM EDT
[#26]
I had 2- 6.4's. No real reason to take it actually off the truck as it can be disabled with the tuner.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 7:07:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

When the turbo's are all spooled up and flowing all that air, You let off the throttle. the engine stops using the air but the turbo is still spinning it in.
The Air on most gas turbo cars have a wastegate that blows the air back into the inlet side of the turbo to relive pressure.
The Diesel does not, it uses the EGR vavle by opening it some and letting the boost off into the intake.
Without the EGR/ Waste gate the exsess pressure has to go somehwere and can blow out intercoolers/ pipes and hoses/ danage the turbo, ect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

?

Gas turbo cars have a BLOWOFF VALVE that dumps excess boost on throttle let off.

The waste gate is what controls max boost. At a certain PSI the waste gate opens and dumps everything over what it's set it to maintain your set boost.

And yes, a true EGR delete does require an external waste gate to be installed.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 9:39:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

That sounds like the gayest idea ever
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 9:43:26 PM EDT
[#29]
The nanny state has gotten so bad it makes you feed your pickup piss. Sad.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 3:13:50 PM EDT
[#30]
ordered yesterday at 2pm and the s&b cold air intake was sitting on the porch today at 4 when i got home.

all the way from cali in a day
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 6:11:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
ordered yesterday at 2pm and the s&b cold air intake was sitting on the porch today at 4 when i got home.

all the way from cali in a day
View Quote

It came from an EPA drophouse.  It's GPS'd and as soon as they see it on a road they will call in the black helicopters and burn down your house.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:13:24 AM EDT
[#32]
I got the exhaust out of the box, and the cold air intake has been installed.

Fuckers are breaking out the burners
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:38:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Gas turbo cars have a BLOWOFF VALVE that dumps excess boost on throttle let off.

The waste gate is what controls max boost. At a certain PSI the waste gate opens and dumps everything over what it's set it to maintain your set boost.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

?

Your own post can lead to confusion.

Instead of blow off valve how about bypass valve which both superchargers and turbos have in common.

Wastegates being used to maintain a certain boost level or peak allowing bleed off of excess.

However did you mean a true EGR delete needs a bypass valve?   Because as noted, a spooled turbo with no place to dump boost with cut throttle is going to do nasty things.   My reading as I prepare to one day have two blown cars is that this This is the primary purpose of the bypass valve, not the waste gate.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:27:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Did you get yours installed?  I'm working on mine today and can't get the frickin' sensors out of the old exhaust.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:41:32 AM EDT
[#35]
I borrowed a buddies lift.

Did the downpipe back full replacement.

Since when I weld it looks like I used a potato torch, I had a shop tack it for me as the bands would present a problem down the road.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top