Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2002 9:42:58 AM EDT
Can anyone tell me how useful CB is nowadays for interstate travel? As local governments have seen the opportunity for revenue generation right outside their corporate limits, they seem to annex more and more sections of adjacent major highways so that they can harvest greenbacks from passing motorists. They are also using equipment that seems to get more and more resistant to "detection", hence, my thought to returning to "old" technology, like CB. Your advice, please.

littledean
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 10:14:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Become a HAM radio operator.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 11:37:06 AM EDT
[#2]

Why not just try driving the posted speed limit??  fullclip
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 11:44:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 11:45:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Works great,

I picked one up for my trip here to Seattle from Toledo. Set the cruise at 110 once I passed the Mississippi... no probs until Montana where I got popped @ 100 around 2am; yakked with cop for a half hour, bought him dinner - warning.

Works good unless there is no one else on the road.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 2:08:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Get a good trunking scanner, if you live in a free state, hide it and get an earplug in less than free states.  Trunking scanners will allow you to listen to most modern and not so modern radio systems.  The trend is towards digital radio systems and as of yet I have not seen a digital scanner.  Trunking refers to a computer allocated system of frequencies where users get moved around according to which freq is open at the time.  Non trunking scanners will not follow the conversation as it goes along.  Most scanners will let you listen to the CB channels
and some will let you recieve the AM radio highway advisories.  Be safe and be careful.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 3:26:21 PM EDT
[#6]
i like having a CB in my truck. Great if your going on a road trip by yourself. (Gives you someone to talk to.. sometimes) If your out hunting or driving around with other people you can communicate with them if they have a CB. My CB has the weather channels, and automaticly turns on if NOAA sends out an emergency broadcast. I still want to try a HAM radio but don't really feel the need to have one yet.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 3:52:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 4:34:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the good ideas, fellow AR enthusiasts.

and,

Yes, I tend to obey the speed limits - when they are posted, and yes, I do intend to get into Ham in a year or too. This (CB) looks like a good short-term "fix" for safer and more-aware driving, though.

littledean
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 4:46:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Screw the cheapy route. Get yourself an export radio for the 11meter band (that's CB) and a texas bug-catcher for an antenna. Maybe and foot warmer while you are at it too. Galaxy's are popular but I use a Ranger RCI-50DX2 that's been tuned.

CBs are great if you are driving with other vehicles, for road reports for weather such as fog conditions, and for some DX'ing too. I really don't hear much reporting on ole smokey though.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 5:14:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Took a 914 mile trip from Norfolk VA to the Mighty mississip' in Illonois(and back 3 day later). My newly installed CB saved me a few tickets and I helped out a few truckers with the cops in the mountains. If nothing else it's entertaining to listen to them yack back and forth.

PONY_DRIVER
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 6:10:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Breaker 19 radio check, come back. If your not looking out for a brown paper bag it's nice to know about a dead pedal ahead or bear bait coming from behind. The big trucks will fill you in on all the beavers and split tails they see. Its always nice to know when to check the seat cover. If you don't have a clock you can 10-36. Catch ya on the flip flop. 10-10. We gone.[:D]
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 6:47:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 6:59:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Breaker 19 radio check, come back. If your not looking out for a brown paper bag it's nice to know about a dead pedal ahead or bear bait coming from behind. The big trucks will fill you in on all the beavers and split tails they see. Its always nice to know when to check the seat cover. If you don't have a clock you can 10-36. Catch ya on the flip flop. 10-10. We gone.[:D]
View Quote

Hey back them hogs off 10 mile or so.. c'mon
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 7:08:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Um....what?
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 9:25:49 AM EDT
[#15]
While Garand Shooter is OBVIOUSLY a holier than thou HAM SNOB[:D] I agree with him. Nothing is more annoying than the retards with a 1KW amp in their 78 Camaros that sit in parking lots and harass truckers passing thru town because it is the only way to get people to pay attention to the friggin losers. We have them here in Tulsa and I would dearly love to be with the FCC guy that eventually tags these guys. Base station operators here are the same way. They "get out" better any way so why have an amp hooked up too? I do enjoy the yakkin on the road though and would be lost on long trips with out mine. I have a tuned realistic I paid 10 bucks for at a garage sale and a K-40 with an old power mike on it......I'm 10-8![:)]  edited kause I kant spel
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top