Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/10/2002 5:10:44 PM EDT
Around the same time every year we get a shit load of ladybugs in our house. This part of Tennessee and north Alabama have the same problem.It usually last for about a week and then they are gone. I use the vacume cleaner to get them off of the ceiling and walls. After I catch all that are visible, I spray a shot of Pyrethrum(sp)into the vacume to finish the little bastards off.

Are these pest or helpful insects?
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 5:20:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Helpful.

...Don't ever speak of this with my wife or any organic gardener...
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 5:23:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Isn't it bad luck to kill a ladybug? I think your in alot of trouble mister.[v]
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 5:28:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Ladybugs are our friends, HOW DARE YOU!

Ladybugs, or lady beetles, are a very beneficial group of insects; a single lady beetle may consume as many as 5,000 aphids in its lifetime...
View Quote

[img]http://www.uky.edu/Agriculture/Entomology/entfacts/images/ladybug.gif[/img]

[url=http://www.uky.edu/Agriculture/Entomology/entfacts/fldcrops/ef105.htm]link[/url]
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 5:31:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Man you are killing the wrong bugs!  Seal up the house better but leav them alone.  Those little beetles can eat up a bunch of aphids!

Good bugs!
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 5:32:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 5:34:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, yeah, yeah, they're cute and snuggly and good for the garden and house plants, but try living a normal life with enough ladybugs to fill a quart jar running around inside your house! The little fuckers have a bad habit of dropping on your head and crawling across your face when your sleeping. I don't care if they can piss gasoline, I'm putting them down the dust buster as fast as I can.

Tell you what. Come get them if you want them.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 5:38:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the same problem, as a matter of fact I started noticing them for the first time this season, yesterday, they are helpful bugs, but thet need to keep their asses outside, I spray the with flying insect killer and it does the job just fine, but you have to vaccuum up bodies all winter. Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 5:48:39 PM EDT
[#8]
[url]http://www.uky.edu/Agriculture/Entomology/entfacts/trees/ef416.htm[/url]
They are not lady bugs! They are a beetle that looks similar.
We've had them here in OH for about 7yrs now and there is no keeping them out of the house. When it starts turning cold they start coming in.

I and my friends have tried everything with no success. Suck 'em up in the shop vac and nuke 'em.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 5:51:06 PM EDT
[#9]
They're in Mass and NH too. They cluster in any cracks they can for the winter.

Heard they were imported years back to prey on some agricultural pest, and have done far better reproducing since the animals that eat them aren't in this country.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 5:52:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
They are not lady bugs! They are a beetle that looks similar.
We've had them here in OH for about 7yrs now and there is no keeping them out of the house. When it starts turning cold they start coming in.

I and my friends have tried everything with no success. Suck 'em up in the shop vac and nuke 'em.
View Quote

He's 100% right.  We got hit pretty damn hard the past two years here in MI with these things.  I think I read somewhere that they are asian beetles or something like that.  If you look close, they are a much lighter shade of orange and don't do anything except multiply and gather in huge groups.  Smash the hell out of them please!

Keving67
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 5:55:17 PM EDT
[#11]
We also get a weird foreign beetle that's been trying to come in homes for the winter for the last couple years.

Brown, very slow, about 3/4 long, with a flat back and a faint X on it.

They're gross as they kind of look like cockroaches, but aren't  They're very slow movers, don't seem at all interested in food in the house.  Just sit for hours in one spot, or crawl very slowly.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 6:16:32 PM EDT
[#12]
...hehehe, we had similar woes back when I was at UMass....there's nothing like waking up in the morning, opening the shade, and seeing about six or seven hundred of them clustered in a corner of the window.....freaky!
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 6:27:27 PM EDT
[#13]
They're gross as they kind of look like cockroaches, but aren't. They're very slow movers, don't seem at all interested in food in the house. Just sit for hours in one spot, or crawl very slowly.
View Quote

Um, that would be your Southern Porch Trash On Welfare cockroach.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 6:32:05 PM EDT
[#14]
We have them up here in Minnesota too. The lady bugs don't bother me but its those damn Asian Beetles that are the problem. Little F*ers bite too. I don't know of any way to get rid of them other then to exterminate with extreme pregiduce (sp?) on site.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 6:41:42 PM EDT
[#15]
guys, were havin the same problem here in NC. Did some research and found out that they are being dropped from planes at a certain time each year becuase they eat pine weavles or somthin like that.

as for gettin rid of em i use a small hand vacume on em and empty it outside. you get rid of em and thier still alive to do thier job.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 6:42:52 PM EDT
[#16]
got em up here as well. i just vacuum the little bastards up.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 6:50:04 PM EDT
[#17]
[url]http://www.pmcenters.org/northcentral/MALB/Facts.htm[/url]
The little bastards bite to!
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 6:53:14 PM EDT
[#18]
they bite!?????!?!?!???  [>(] thanks divdoc!
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 6:59:29 PM EDT
[#19]
I've got the same problem...

spent much of the day "dashing to the rescue" of my finacé...

after about the third time, I was fed up with the little bastards.

Jonathan
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 6:59:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Are we really talking about lady bugs?  Here in PA we get Box Elder bugs that look more like flying roaches with orange on their backs. A solution of laundry detergent and water kills'em after a few minutes. I do like the vacuum idea however if my wife knows that I know how to use it she may ask....make me use it inside.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 7:15:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 7:33:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Frankly, as problems in life go, I'd worry more about a re-imposition of the AW ban in 2004....so, let's remember, fellow environmentalists[8P][:X*][:D], ladybugs do more good than harm. I just sweep them out the door, no stains seen yet, and any still left eventually get vacuumed up. If they're flying about this time of year, they're getting desperate to find someplace to stay for the winter, and the food supply is about dried up for them. The problem, therefore, solves itself, if ya know what I mean...[X]  
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 7:41:16 PM EDT
[#23]
That is how lady bugs survive the winter. They pick specific locations (Lights, window boxes, etc) that are warm enough for them to survive the winter. Depending on how cold that location is the lady bugs will all team up into a giant mass to survive the winter. They then go into a form of stasis where they can actually freeze solid. But as long as they dont reach a specific low temperature they will survive the winter.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 12:57:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 1:49:03 AM EDT
[#25]
[I]ALL YOUR FLESH ARE BELONG TO US![I/]

[img]http://www.uky.edu/Agriculture/Entomology/entfacts/trees/ef416ha2.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 2:33:04 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm here in North Alabama and we're gettin em too!  My neighbor is infeste with em, but I just have a fwe around the doors...

2 words:

SHOP VAC

or is it 1 hyphenated word:
SHOP-VAC....

HMMMMMM

fuck the little bastards!
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 3:48:02 AM EDT
[#27]
I've been bitten by one of these fuckers before...  Felt like a goddamn bee sting.

Smashed the little bastard after that one...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top