Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/29/2013 2:29:20 PM EDT
Just saw the trailer. Do you guys think it will be any good. I just wanna go and watch the action at the end.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp6jpeDeQmE[/youtube]
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 2:38:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Is this about the incident where the seals greased the pirates on Easter Sunday? I love movies with happy endings!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 2:42:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is this about the incident where the seals greased the pirates on Easter Sunday? I love movies with happy endings!!
View Quote

Yep that's it
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 2:43:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks good. I'll probably go see it. I rarely go to the movie theater.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 2:44:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Been seeing the trailers for it lately, will just wait for it to come out on red box as we all know it has a happy ending
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 4:43:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks like it is going to have a bunch of inaccuracies.  Maybe I'll watch it when it comes out on DVD, but it doesn't look worth the price of going to the cinema.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 5:08:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Looks like it is going to have a bunch of inaccuracies.  Maybe I'll watch it when it comes out on DVD, but it doesn't look worth the price of going to the cinema.
View Quote

Most movies about real events do. But the title of this seems as if its a Captain Phillips publicity stunt. Why name if after the captain and not after the ship? Call me skeptical.

The whole ordeal took less time than Tom Hanks does getting into makeup for this movie.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 5:10:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Heard that a few times here.  What is wrong with the trailer?
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 5:11:30 PM EDT
[#8]
fuck phillips, know a few guys who have sailed with him, guy is an asshole and an incompetent captain. plus just from watching the trailer I think now I know how military folks feel when they watch a war movie and hollywood just gets everything wrong.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 5:12:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Most movies about real events do. But the title of this seems as if its a Captain Phillips publicity stunt. Why name if after the captain and not after the ship? Call me skeptical.

The whole ordeal took less time than Tom Hanks does getting into makeup for this movie.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I agree. I think this movie looks a little silly. We already know what happens as this has been covered so many times. I think the event is too short to make a movie out of it but who knows.

I was pretty excited for Lone Survivor but then I found out that POS Wahlberg is playing Luttrell
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 5:12:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Looks like it is going to have a bunch of inaccuracies.
View Quote

Like the pinging radar?
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 5:13:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I've wasted money on worse, we'll go see it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 5:14:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
fuck phillips, know a few guys who have sailed with him, guy is an asshole and an incompetent captain. plus just from watching the trailer I think now I know how military folks feel when they watch a war movie and hollywood just gets everything wrong.
View Quote

I have heard the same about the great Capt Phillips from a few of his former shipmates. He is a douchebag.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 5:17:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of them is the trailer shows the DG guys jumping in at night. They jumped during daylight.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 5:17:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 5:19:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I will wait for a good documentary
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 5:27:55 PM EDT
[#16]
The preview bit that I saw (not a regular theatrical trailer) before the film I saw on Saturday...well, it seemed to me that they're trying to humanize the pirate Al-Shabaab scumbags, bunch of "they have to do drastic things due to poverty" bullshit.

At the moment, no plans to see it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 5:30:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Tom Hanks,,,,,

I'll pass.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 5:32:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I have heard the same about the great Capt Phillips from a few of his former shipmates. He is a douchebag.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wasn't it his hubris that ultimately placed his ship in harms way? I remember reading what his first mate said about Phillips and the decision to skirt Somalia's shore closer than necessary. That it was done to shave time and save money. Admirable goals otherwise but placing men at risk because of it.

Night versus day time jump is immaterial for the movie, it looks cooler if they jump at night though.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 5:35:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The preview bit that I saw (not a regular theatrical trailer) before the film I saw on Saturday...well, it seemed to me that they're trying to humanize the pirate Al-Shabaab scumbags, bunch of "they have to do drastic things due to poverty" bullshit.

At the moment, no plans to see it.
View Quote

The pirates are not necessary Al-Shabab. Most are just opportunists who are looking for cash. Since most companies will pay they found a market. It's like the Barbary Pirates during the 1600-1700s. Piracy pays.. Until the Europeans, Japanese, Russians, Indians, Chinese, or our Navy start killing you.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 5:42:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Wasn't it his hubris that ultimately placed his ship in harms way? I remember reading what his first mate said about Phillips and the decision to skirt Somalia's shore closer than necessary. That it was done to shave time and save money. Admirable goals otherwise but placing men at risk because of it.

Night versus day time jump is immaterial for the movie, it looks cooler if they jump at night though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. The ship was to close to the coast and the crew didnt like it but Phillips did what the owners wanted. So they have a little bit of blame as well.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 5:47:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

In the movie ads, Hanks is making Phillips look like a douchebag.  Hanks looked so nerdy that I didn't recognize him.  

Link Posted: 9/29/2013 5:50:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Think I'm going to go to a matinee and see it.
Tom Hanks is a pretty good actor. I think it'll be good.

I guess I'm going to go see Gravity also and hope I can shut my brain off
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 5:54:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A news story from 2009:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/12/03/maersk-alabama-richard-phillips_n_378134.html

Link Posted: 9/29/2013 5:56:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Meh.  Mr. Hanks looking for another Osacr is how I read the adverts.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 5:57:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

It was not a war.  Plus, it's a movie not a documentary.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 6:00:14 PM EDT
[#26]
I want to know if Wilson floated to Somalia and took up piracy.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 6:05:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

You spoiled the movie!

PG-13 = meh

Plus it looks overdone, recall a while back the crew said Phillips was a phony but who knows.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 6:09:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Here's the movie I want to see

Link Posted: 9/29/2013 6:10:32 PM EDT
[#29]
I can't believe they made this movie, but since they have just about remade everything twice, I guess its nice to see something current....

..I guess..
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 6:33:15 PM EDT
[#30]

Already been done, right?
That movie with Demzel Washington? Right?  
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 6:35:20 PM EDT
[#31]
The guy who directed this also did United 93, which from what I understand was accurate.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 6:51:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The guy who directed this also did United 93, which from what I understand was accurate.
View Quote

He also did Green Zone, which was not
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 6:57:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Tom Hanks,,,,,

I'll pass.
View Quote

Thank you Sir!
Fuck him...
and Fbho...
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 6:58:49 PM EDT
[#34]

Word!
Fdw!
(fuck denzel washington)
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 7:00:42 PM EDT
[#35]

I'll watch it on Netflix in a few months.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 7:02:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Just saw the trailer. Do you guys think it will be any good. I just wanna go and watch the action at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp6jpeDeQmE
View Quote

Why waste your money. That was only a very small part of the story.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 7:04:17 PM EDT
[#37]
"FSA, America is evil, I want to feel sorry for the poor misguided Somali pirates" that's all I got out of the trailer.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 7:09:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Like the pinging radar?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like it is going to have a bunch of inaccuracies.

Like the pinging radar?

Among other things, but I've worked on ships, although never outside of the U.S. unfortunately.  Other things just don't sound right based on what I've heard from people I know who DO work out in that area or based on what I can recall reading about the incident in the news.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 7:09:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
"FSA, America is evil, I want to feel sorry for the poor misguided Somali pirates" that's all I got out of the trailer.
View Quote

That's what I got from the trailers I saw...poor misunderstood pirates who just attack unarmed vessels and kill innocent crews because they're misunderstood and need to feed their families..

Link Posted: 9/29/2013 7:26:24 PM EDT
[#40]
All I remember from that incident is that the sitting US president tried to micromanage it to a degree and took upon himself the lone authority to authorize the shooting of pirates.

US Presidents have allowed our navy to shoot pirates at will for a couple of hundred years and the then sitting jug-headed US president decided to make political hay of the incident!

Hence, I have no desire to see the movie based on these true events.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 7:34:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Thank you Sir!
Fuck him...
and Fbho...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tom Hanks,,,,,

I'll pass.

Thank you Sir!
Fuck him...
and Fbho...

Ranger Hanks is an honorary member of the 75th Ranger Regiment Association.

Just sayin'. I don't like his politics either.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 5:15:34 PM EDT
[#42]
The movie is getting very good reviews.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 5:26:15 PM EDT
[#43]
The pirates will be turned into sympathetic characters who are murdered by the evil, capitalist-controlled military guys.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 5:28:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

One of them is the trailer shows the DG guys jumping in at night. They jumped during daylight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Source?
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 5:39:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Source?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Source?

The author of No Easy Day.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 5:41:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Is the movie based on a book that the Captain wrote or co-authored or lent his name to?
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 5:48:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 5:48:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Buying a ticket would eventually make a rich out-of-touch Obama lover (Tom Hanks) even richer.  So, I won't be buying a ticket.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 5:51:43 PM EDT
[#49]
This movie is getting a lot of buzz as being fairly accurate.
Hanks is also getting serious praise for his role in this movie, oscar praise.
I'd wait to hold judgement, especially based off the trailers.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top