Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/9/2002 5:42:02 AM EDT
OK - I have had an Onkyo TX-DS595 receiver for about a year now. Tonight it has given me my first trouble.

Seems every time a movie tries to put any real stress on the amp, the display reads "protect" and then the thing commences to shutting itself off.

I have played this for hours at a time at full volume and never had problems - now even at half volume it does this to me. I know it has internal protection circuitry - but what might be causing it to kick in? Will it need to be serviced by a pro? If so, does it sound like a simple job or a month long, no receiver, project. (finding an Onkyo service center will require a two hour bus / train trip to Seoul).

Adam
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 8:23:31 AM EDT
[#1]
btt - to ha ju seh yo!!!
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 2:06:50 PM EDT
[#2]
My Pioneer reciever has a feature which shuts itself off when speaker wire touches the back panel.  Check to see if any loose strands of speaker wire are touching the panel.  Also, have you been playing around with the bass/treble controls because even a bass boost of 3dB will double the amount of amp power required.
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 3:42:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 4:37:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 7:30:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I found some loose speaker connections - one that had completely came out (several people - including several idiots - have access to my speakers) hopefully that solves the problem and I didn't damage anything too horribly.

I posted this same question on AVSforum - I got ZERO help. Proof once again that this board is the ultimate one stop shop on the internet.

Adam
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 7:46:02 PM EDT
[#6]
this same problem crept up a few years ago on a sony reciever. it only occured when i started Top Gun, during the intial opening sequence with the Tomcats engines being kicked to full throttle. no loose wires or anything.. very odd. although days later that same sequence didnt bother it..

Planetary alignment issue?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top