Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 9/17/2013 9:27:08 PM EDT
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/09/17/the-air-force-blew-up-this-tiny-pirate-boat-with-a-2000-pound-smart-bomb-because-america/

Moving ever diligently onward in their quest to fly the wings off the B-1b fleet to justify the acquisition of the next generation Bomber, the USAF has found a new role for our Strategic bomber fleet...

Littoral Maritime Patrol!

Hopefully Congress will see the wisdom of sending hundred million dollar bombers to drop million dollar munitions on shitty small boats halfway across the world and defund the LCS to fund this new initiative. Seeing as how the Air Force has proven they can handle the job just fine.
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 9:29:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks shopped.
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 9:30:26 PM EDT
[#2]
He is pleased.

Link Posted: 9/17/2013 9:32:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn they weren't far off shore were they?
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 9:32:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll be in my bunk  
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 9:34:05 PM EDT
[#5]
What an absurd article. They are saying that the validity of the mission is related to the dollar value of the target. That's somewhere between insane and drooling on your bib retarded.
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 9:34:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Looks shopped.
View Quote
yup

Link Posted: 9/17/2013 9:36:29 PM EDT
[#7]
That image sums up our problems so well

multi-million/billion dollar weapons platforms used against boats, mud huts, and goat-herders wielding AK-47's converted from shovels.  

It makes no sense.

$16,000,000,000,000.00

Link Posted: 9/17/2013 9:38:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Well I supposed the pirate problem is solved.  What's next?

Link Posted: 9/17/2013 9:40:17 PM EDT
[#9]
That's not a jdam.

Seems like overkill.
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 9:42:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

That's not a jdam.
Seems like overkill.
View Quote

Have you seen any of the liveleak videos posted here.

A bunch of morons cheering the annihilation of some goat-herder with a million dollar missile.  Then they can't understand why a few of his sons want to take some flight lessons..

Blow back...it...is...a...bitch.

Link Posted: 9/17/2013 9:43:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Oh hell, they spend $250,000 on a pickup truck.
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 9:44:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Any reason why a kinetic weapon wouldn't work just as fucking well....

It's a boat. Put a hole in it and water fills that hole for you...

Link Posted: 9/17/2013 9:47:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Would the bomb even need to explode to be effective?  What if we put a smart bomb kit on a 2,000 pound chunk of concrete?
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 9:51:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Would the bomb even need to explode to be effective?  What if we put a smart bomb kit on a 2,000 pound chunk of concrete?
View Quote

Your not thinking about the companies that make the weapon.  They need it to blow up so Congress can appropriate more money we don't have to replace it.  The military industrial complex is beautiful business.  What other industry can destroy capital and get more.

Link Posted: 9/17/2013 9:53:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Why not drop lobbyists instead?
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 9:53:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote
If you did that, we'd find seagulls with their necks trapped in large pieces of pirate boat. It's like cutting the rings on the old 6 pack holders, it's just what responsible humans do to protect the environment.

Link Posted: 9/17/2013 9:59:34 PM EDT
[#17]
What I want to see, if they are taking requests that is, is the 2,000 pound bomb to be set to detonate about 6 to 8 feet above sea level, now that would blow some pirates to their base atoms.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 10:04:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Your not thinking about the companies that make the weapon.  They need it to blow up so Congress can appropriate more money we don't have to replace it.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your not thinking about the companies that make the weapon.  They need it to blow up so Congress can appropriate more money we don't have to replace it.  

Looks like a GBU-24 in the photo. ~$55k a pop plus ~$32,500 per flight hour for the B1. The GBU-24 was made by Rayethon, no less. I'm sure the vice secretary of defense and former top lobbyist for Rayethon, William Lynn III, remained objective and non-biased.

I think stopping piracy is a legit use of our military, unlike Iraq or Syria. But I think most piracy could be deterred by allowing cargo ships and tankers to arm themselves.

This is clearly overkill.
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 10:07:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Looks like a GBU-24 in the photo. ~$55k a pop plus ~$32,500 per flight hour for the B1. The GBU-24 was made by Rayethon, no less. I'm sure the vice secretary of defense and former top lobbyist for Rayethon, William Lynn III, remained objective and non-biased.
I think stopping piracy is a legit use of our military, unlike Iraq or Syria. But I think most piracy could be deterred by allowing cargo ships and tankers to arm themselves.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is the solution.  

It's funny how more freedom works.

Link Posted: 9/17/2013 10:11:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Huh, wonder how much a .50 cal round costs?
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 10:12:48 PM EDT
[#21]
If the pay is good I'll take my cargo pants on a cargo ship with a rifle
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 10:13:18 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote

Well the round doesn't cost much.  

But if it's fired from a military ship it's expensive.  If its fired from the deck of the ship being attacked...not so much.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 10:14:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Good when you want to go out there OP and fight the enemy I'll remember to tell you why I couldn't call in CAS for you when your position is being overrun.

When you actually have some skin in the game come back to us.
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 10:14:54 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote
Either that or a d....d.d.d.dddrone.

Link Posted: 9/17/2013 10:16:02 PM EDT
[#25]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Either that or a d....d.d.d.dddrone.  

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2e/Predator_and_Hellfire.jpg

Link Posted: 9/17/2013 10:16:32 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Good when you want to go out there OP and fight the enemy I'll remember to tell you why I couldn't call in CAS for you when your position is being overrun.

View Quote

I love the appeal to emotion.  Even if it's totally ridiculous.  

Link Posted: 9/17/2013 10:18:24 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote

I, for one, am content in the knowledge that if our servicemen are ever attacked by massive swarms of rowboats, the United States Air Force is ready and willing to drop lots and lots of money to save them.

Link Posted: 9/17/2013 10:20:09 PM EDT
[#28]
This seems adequate and significantly more cost effective than spending a $100,000s of dollars on b1 sorties.

Link Posted: 9/17/2013 10:21:16 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I, for one, am content in the knowledge that if our servicemen are ever attacked by massive swarms of rowboats, the United States Air Force is ready and willing to drop lots and lots of money to save them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You sir, are a patriot.  

Link Posted: 9/17/2013 10:27:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
This seems adequate and significantly more cost effective than spending a $100,000s of dollars on b1 sorties.

http://youtu.be/RVnpY8HhTwU
View Quote

well how much are you paying the PMC's then
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 10:30:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

However much the company feels like paying them.

Hell, I'll bet people would do it for free.

Take a few months off and go on a cruise and shoot pirates or fun. I could make some awesome brochures for it.

I see no reason why the crew shouldn't be allowed to arm themselves.
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 10:32:47 PM EDT
[#32]
ALLOW ships to arm themselves.

problem solved.

SHIT, I wish people would recognize INDIVIDUAL freedom works.  The only problem with piracy is the fact that many jurisdictions ONLY allow criminals to have guns.

Link Posted: 9/17/2013 10:33:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit, I'd do it for room, board, medical while on contract, and about $15/hour for hours on watch.

Don't have to pay me dick when I'm in my rack.
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 10:36:27 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.  A quarter million dollar mission (at least), to do what one guy at $80K a year and a $600 M-4 would do.

We can't afford to spend millions of dollars to kill goat herders that can be replaced for $500 all day long.  Especially when we can use weapon systems that are several orders of magnitude cheaper.
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 10:37:08 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote

problem solved.
They already can. A lot of companies don't hire any security and then get ransacked by third worlders.

Link Posted: 9/17/2013 10:40:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
problem solved.

They already can. A lot of companies don't hire any security and then get ransacked by third worlders.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
problem solved.

Are they allowed to arm themselves or do they have to hire PMCs?
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 10:40:36 PM EDT
[#37]
.... Ummm.... I'm fairly sure that's a training bomb...

Bomber pilots training to drop training bombs on training targets during training missions... Stop the presses!

That's a pretty impressive hit, actually... Even with modern PGMs.

I guess the author of that article doesn't understand that pilots need to train? And you might as well give them very difficult targets to train against. Doesn't get a lot harder to hit than a motorized fishing boat with a screaming engine.
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 10:42:08 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

problem solved.

I think it depends on location (ports, harbors, etc.)

International water are open game, I think.
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 10:42:50 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
problem solved.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

problem solved.

A lot of States restrict weapons.  That effects the arming of ships.  Get caught in a lot of waters with weapons and you're looking at years in prison.  

Link Posted: 9/17/2013 10:43:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Well I supposed the pirate problem is solved.  What's next?

View Quote

I would have no problem with it at all if they were dropping them
on the real Somali pirates.
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 10:50:49 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

problem solved.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

problem solved.
Somewhere some accountant has figured out on paper it's cheaper to not arm the cargo ships and to pay the ransom for the occasional ship that gets hijacked.

Link Posted: 9/17/2013 10:56:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Just a little touch up on the paint and it should be good to go.

Link Posted: 9/17/2013 11:52:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

problem solved.

SHIT, I wish people would recognize INDIVIDUAL freedom works.  The only problem with piracy is the fact that many jurisdictions ONLY allow criminals to have guns.

View Quote

American ships ARE allowed to arm themselves.  If you can legally buy it in the U.S., you can mount it to the ship or carry it onboard.  The problem is foreign countries with illiberal laws.  Another problem is insurance companies and their policies, although this is less of a problem today than it was a few years ago.  If you can't enter foreign ports and have insurance coverage, things are going to suck if you're a ship owner.

A treaty would probably needed to resolve the issue, but Obama certainly isn't going to sign onto that, not when he supports gun controul treaties.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 12:17:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

The bomb did not explode, it was a blue cased bomb, this usually signifies an inert practice bomb, they are usually filled with concrete and designed to weigh the same a a live bomb, just they don't have a war head in them, so they can see exactly where they hit instead of a massive fire ball.this is a benefit for training / testing.

The Brits used them on their Tornado jets to take out Iraqi tanks in cities without taking out all the buildings near the tanks, they said a 2000lb bomb with  laser guidance from 20k feet was very effective against a tank and as can be seen by the picture of the boat they seem to be effective in this application too.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 12:31:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The bomb did not explode, it was a blue cased bomb, this usually signifies an inert practice bomb, they are usually filled with concrete and designed to weigh the same a a live bomb, just they don't have a war head in them, so they can see exactly where they hit instead of a massive fire ball.this is a benefit for training / testing.

The Brits used them on their Tornado jets to take out Iraqi tanks in cities without taking out all the buildings near the tanks, they said a 2000lb bomb with  laser guidance from 20k feet was very effective against a tank and as can be seen by the picture of the boat they seem to be effective in this application too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

so...mini rods of god
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 12:39:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

so...mini rods of god
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

so...mini rods of god

French have done the same in lybia for tank plinking,  it also helps avoiding collaterals.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 12:41:07 AM EDT
[#47]
I just like saying rods of god
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 12:43:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought the splash was a bit small for a 2000lb bomb.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 12:48:40 AM EDT
[#49]
As pointed out the title of the article is "The Air Force blew up this tiny ‘pirate boat’ with a 2,000-pound smart bomb, because America"  the article states a GBU-10 was used
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 12:51:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
As pointed out the title of the article is "The Air Force blew up this tiny ‘pirate boat’ with a 2,000-pound smart bomb, because America"  the article states a GBU-10 was used
View Quote

Obviously. How would you hit a moving target reliably with a jdam ?  You need some laser guidance there.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top