Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2013 11:00:09 AM EDT
New to pelican cases... never had the cash to spring for one before.

I'm looking for a case to take hunting (Pack in a cross country road trip and probably next year an plane to go to Alaska or Canada with, as well as back elk hunting.)

I would like to be able to hold:

x1 Remington M700 BDL with a Nikon Monarch on it (24in barrel)
x1 Savage 11/111 Long Range Hunter with a Nikon Monarch on it, until I get a Vortex 50mm for it.
x1 Sig P220 - 2 extra mags.
x1 Bipod (Detatched, or attached to one of the rifles)

I'm a bit lost by pelican's website... I don't know which model can fit both rifles, as they're all shown with foam fitting cut outs.  Is it even possible? Or would I need to go to two separate cases?

Any extra room would be used for range finder / spotting scope

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 11:06:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Lay the stuff out as you would pack it into the case. Measure the area that is required (L x W x H) make sure you have enough space around each item (too tight and the foam will be too thin between each of the items and it won't support them fully, foam can tear). Measure the whole ball of wax.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 11:13:43 AM EDT
[#2]
The 1750 is the longest single depth "rifle case" they make.  You will probably need the length for the 24" barrel, you can get either solid foam that you cut to shape or foam that has been "perforated" and you just pluck out the little pieces to shape it.  There's a pretty good thread in build it yourself (?) about how to cut gun case foam.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 11:13:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Will do... the Savage 11/111 isn't in at my LGS yet.  I hope it is here in time for me to get it zero'd before I leave for Colorado.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 11:14:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 11:21:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Will do... the Savage 11/111 isn't in at my LGS yet.  I hope it is here in time for me to get it zero'd before I leave for Colorado.
View Quote
The 1750 will be long enough, but the question is how wide will those two rifles be with optics mounted laying on their sides in the case. I would try to fit it in one case, dealing with two large rolling cases plus other baggage will be difficult.

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 11:23:17 AM EDT
[#6]

1750 with 7mm and a 223.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 11:24:51 AM EDT
[#7]

OP wants a pistol and bipod in there too, do you think there is enough room?

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 11:28:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Has anyone with a 1750 ever been charged by airlines for the case being over the 63 Linear Inch rule?  That's the reason I bought a 1720, but am now regretting the smaller size of it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 11:33:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I can probably live without the pistol in there. Worse case I can disassemble it, put the slide in one area, frame in another and there will  be plenty of room.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 11:40:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Hard to say, the 223 is a youth size so its short. Like someone said above. Lay everything out before you cut or pluck. If it were me
and I had that much gear I would go with two cases. You cant have too much room and you will always find more stuff to put in it.
You can also buy extra foam inserts for different set ups.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 11:41:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Hard to say, the 223 is a youth size so its short. Like someone said above. Lay everything out before you cut or pluck. If it were me
and I had that much gear I would go with two cases. You cant have too much room and you will always find more stuff to put in it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I might do that. For colorado I tend to pack a lot as we truck out, instead of fly. So I have a lot of room to stick two cases in.

Flying might be different, however I might just pack one gun and my side arm then, instead of two rifles, etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top