Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2013 4:29:36 PM EDT
Recently I began driving my 05 Jeep Wrangler (TJ) to work and the factory headlights are just shit.  Compared to my truck, they have the brightness of a flashlight.  So all knowing arfcom, name me a replacement headlight that is really bright both on dim and bright.  I am looking for a "white" light vs. the yellow light the current headlights give off.

Bottom line, I am sick of driving and not seeing shit!!  So let me know what I need, so I can order some new lights online tonight.  

Thanks  
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:51:05 PM EDT
[#1]
If it was lifted the head lamps need to be re-aimed.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:51:19 PM EDT
[#2]
My answer is going to be new LED driving lights.
Mine's a 2013 but the lights still suck
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:51:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I can post a TON of info here about headlights.  I geek on them a LOT.

The replacement H4 lights I like for sealed beam alternatives, are the Autopal lights.  There's a guy on ebay that sells them.  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/97-98-99-00-01-02-03-04-05-06-JEEP-WRANGLER-HEADLIGHTS-/270512099298

Just make sure you ask for the clear bulbs with them, the blue ones suck.  All blue bulbs suck.  Since the blue glass filters out some light, they have to burn the filament hotter, just to get the light output the same as clear bulbs.

Friend of mine put them in his TJ, and loves them.  I got other ones for friends with XJ's, too.  They have Fluted glass or clear glass with free-form reflectors, your choice.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:53:48 PM EDT
[#4]
You can also check out Rallylights.com for a great selection of bulbs, too.

You should also install a relay harness, that powers the headlights from the battery, thru relays, instead of thru the factory (thin) wiring.  That'll get more current to the bulbs, and help them burn brighter.  Those wiring harnesses can be put together yourself, or you can buy one already done.  Easy enuf to install.  I have one in my WJ, put one in Wodstock's ZJ, (along with glass german H4 headlights), and made a harness for my friend's XJ.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:57:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Trucklite LEDs made a huge improvement on my Deuce and half and they are the old style. Haven't got a set for my XJ yet but eventually plan to, but expect to pay a couple hundred a light. If your not looking to spend that much, the Autopal housings above are pretty good too.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:58:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Trucklite LEDs made a huge improvement on my Deuce and half and they are the old style. Haven't got a set for my XJ yet but eventually plan to, but expect to pay a couple hundred a light.
View Quote

Was in my plans but suddenly a new upper appeared in the mail and the spousal unit came unglued when I mentioned it
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:02:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Try the autopal ones first... :)  way cheaper, and they are quite the improvement over sealed beams.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:57:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If it was lifted the head lamps need to be re-aimed.
View Quote

Vehicle is stock.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:02:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I can post a TON of info here about headlights.  I geek on them a LOT.

The replacement H4 lights I like for sealed beam alternatives, are the Autopal lights.  There's a guy on ebay that sells them.  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/97-98-99-00-01-02-03-04-05-06-JEEP-WRANGLER-HEADLIGHTS-/270512099298

Just make sure you ask for the clear bulbs with them, the blue ones suck.  All blue bulbs suck.  Since the blue glass filters out some light, they have to burn the filament hotter, just to get the light output the same as clear bulbs.

Friend of mine put them in his TJ, and loves them.  I got other ones for friends with XJ's, too.  They have Fluted glass or clear glass with free-form reflectors, your choice.
View Quote

With the factory harness, do you recommend the white 100/55w?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:14:23 PM EDT
[#10]
click here for headlight upgrade I got these because I could drive over and pick them up. Vast improvement over the stock light. I recommend a harness upgrade even if staying with stock wattage as my plug at the steering wheel was just about shot from running the stock LJ factory light. I used this harness and have had no issues on my 05 LJ since I installed it a year ago.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:19:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Trucklite LEDs made a huge improvement on my Deuce and half and they are the old style. Haven't got a set for my XJ yet but eventually plan to, but expect to pay a couple hundred a light. If your not looking to spend that much, the Autopal housings above are pretty good too.
View Quote

Holy shit, $500 for a set of LED headlights!!!  They look cool and I want good light but man, that's pricey for 2 pieces of headlights.  Now don't get me wrong, if I was throwing money at a rifle build, I wouldn't think twice, but my gun fund will be crying if I drop $500 on headlights.  

ha-ha
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:23:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm using KC, with the H4 bulbs. Huge improvement.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:23:28 PM EDT
[#13]
If I did it again I'd go with Trucklite LEDs. They're probably the best built and most reliable on the market right now.

If you want lots and lots of light you can go HID but only when using the proper housings. This is so the light has a clean cutoff point and you will not blind oncoming drivers.

55W hi/lo HIDs in H4 housings

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:36:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Holy shit, $500 for a set of LED headlights!!!  They look cool and I want good light but man, that's pricey for 2 pieces of headlights.  Now don't get me wrong, if I was throwing money at a rifle build, I wouldn't think twice, but my gun fund will be crying if I drop $500 on headlights.  

ha-ha
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ha-ha

Actually you can get them for under $400 but still $$$ too bad the the military surplus ones that I got for $150 a set won't work. My XJ currently has the E code autopal housings with upgraded harness and its alot better then stock.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:38:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Look for a headlight relay thread on jeepforum.com
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:42:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Actually you can get them for under $400 but still $$$ too bad the the military surplus ones that I got for $150 a set won't work. My XJ currently has the E code autopal housings with upgraded harness and its alot better then stock.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ha-ha

PM me a link and I'll buy 'em tonight.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:02:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If I did it again I'd go with Trucklite LEDs. They're probably the best built and most reliable on the market right now.

If you want lots and lots of light you can go HID but only when using the proper housings. This is so the light has a clean cutoff point and you will not blind oncoming drivers.

55W hi/lo HIDs in H4 housings

<a href="http://s855.photobucket.com/user/emp7y_01/media/JF/2011-07-28_17-30-42_249.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab120/emp7y_01/JF/2011-07-28_17-30-42_249.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s855.photobucket.com/user/emp7y_01/media/JF/2011-01-18_19-36-43_563.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab120/emp7y_01/JF/2011-01-18_19-36-43_563.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s855.photobucket.com/user/emp7y_01/media/JF/2011-01-18_19-38-32_715.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab120/emp7y_01/JF/2011-01-18_19-38-32_715.jpg</a>
View Quote

I like this a lot.  Oh hell, I just might need to drop the money and go over the top.  Damn you arfcom, you cost me so much money!!!
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:07:58 PM EDT
[#18]
I have the same set from the eBay link above and it's a huge improvement over stock even with the stock harness.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:15:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Recently I began driving my 05 Jeep Wrangler (TJ) to work and the factory headlights are just shit.  Compared to my truck, they have the brightness of a flashlight.  So all knowing arfcom, name me a replacement headlight that is really bright both on dim and bright.  I am looking for a "white" light vs. the yellow light the current headlights give off.

Bottom line, I am sick of driving and not seeing shit!!  So let me know what I need, so I can order some new lights online tonight.  

Thanks  
View Quote

Relays, E-code housings and good bulbs are what you need.  
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html

ETA, this guy has been selling this stuff since the 1990's.  I last dealt with him about 10 years or so ago.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:26:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

ETA, this guy has been selling this stuff since the 1990's.  I last dealt with him about 10 years or so ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks  

Very interesting website, thanks for providing the link.  I think I will read all of his tech articles and go from there.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:27:04 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a JK and I put in a 55w DDM tuning kit, it absolutely blows the shit factory headlights away. I got the HID hi/low kit for something like $110? delivered. The JKs factory reflector actually works very well with HID, after carefully aiming them, I never get flashed, I have probably 10times the light as stock on low beam and probably 4 times the light, and with much more focused throw on high beam. I am absolutely sold on their kit. I was worried at first about getting the JW Speakers or Trucklites etc, but I went with the HID kit for like 1/7 or 1/5th the price depending. I figured if they sucked I'd only be out 100 bucks and could sell em on Craigslist or something. They are worth every penny though, and shockingly DDMs customer service is bad ass too. Somehow I got an extra wiring harness that threw me off and after getting a live, English fluent, technically adept person every time I called, they got me squared away. They said to just hang onto the extra harness too. I'm impressed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top