Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2013 11:27:56 AM EDT
Seems a little dicey with all the fuel involved.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 11:33:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm sure it's fine, but I'd still be uncomfortable!
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 11:35:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Steve....quit running around in your issue feety-pajamas!
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 11:36:53 AM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 11:37:53 AM EDT
[#4]
That would most definitely keep the "Man in Motion" . . .
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 11:39:17 AM EDT
[#5]
That's not St Elmo's fire.  It's just some ESD.

The fuel is held back on both sides by a poppet valve so there's no real excitement other than it just looking cool.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 11:39:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Is Rob Lowe refueling Demi moore again?
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 11:41:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm sure it's fine, but I'd still be uncomfortable!
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 11:41:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Ffffrrrreakyyyy!

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 11:45:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 11:47:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Yep, static discharge. No real danger.

Why does this happen?

Short easy answer. Both aircraft are producing large amounts of static flying through the air. Add weather and atmospheric electrical charges and you can produce some serious voltage. With a single aircraft this usually just flows around the skin of the aircraft and is discharged to the air along the trailing edges of the wings and tail. But when two aircraft come together like in refueling you have an imbalance. One aircraft is larger or whatever and produces more static. When the boom gets close to the other aircraft the charge jumps the air gap trying to equalize.

Same thing happens with hose helicopter power line guys.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 11:57:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes very cold, dry air with both aircraft + much static tricity! In my shop in the winter...if it is cold and I use my sand blaster it shocks the shit out of my arms.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 12:05:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Jet fuel isn't exactly all that easy to ignite. Unless you add a little compression.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 12:27:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That would most definitely keep the "Man in Motion" . . .
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 12:44:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd like to see the same video from the 747pilot's POV!
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:37:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The fuel is held back on both sides by a poppet valve so there's no real excitement other than it just looking cool.
View Quote

Yep. It's also an issue with helicopters lowering a sling load or rescue winch. The zap can be pretty nasty. A lot like being tazed as I'm told.

Our procedure in the Army for a line or load lowering down from a Heli included a grounding pole with an insulated handle, a conductive hook on the end and a cable clamped on to a brass rod driven into the ground.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:41:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Lets see, fire, fuel, what could go wrong?
I think all is fine.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:46:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Lets see, fire, fuel, what could go wrong?
View Quote

Well, JP8 is pretty hard to ignite without being compressed. (although it would be well atomized once released into the air stream) The fuel valves seal pretty well until there is a connection and by that time, both aircraft are well grounded to each other. It's not nearly as dangerous as it looks.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:11:43 PM EDT
[#18]
That

Was

So

COOL!
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:03:05 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

That's not St. Elmo's fire.

You'll know it when you see it, though, and it's cool when it stays outside on the tips of the propellers.

View Quote

My old man says you stand a pretty good chance of getting zapped if you see it.  I know on one occasion he got a baseball sized hole in the radome of a 727; bolt went through the door and down the middle of the aisle.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:58:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yep. It's also an issue with helicopters lowering a sling load or rescue winch. The zap can be pretty nasty. A lot like being tazed as I'm told.

Our procedure in the Army for a line or load lowering down from a Heli included a grounding pole with an insulated handle, a conductive hook on the end and a cable clamped on to a brass rod driven into the ground.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I learned about that in the documentary The Hunt For Red October.

Edit: Stupid iPad keyboard.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:09:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:14:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Is Rob Lowe refueling Demi moore again?
View Quote

First thing I thought of
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:09:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:48:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I've seen St. Elmo's Fire on props and rolling down the aisle a couple of times.  I guess it never occurred to me to try to catch plasma!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's not St. Elmo's fire.

You'll know it when you see it, though, and it's cool when it stays outside on the tips of the propellers.

My old man says you stand a pretty good chance of getting zapped if you see it.  I know on one occasion he got a baseball sized hole in the radome of a 727; bolt went through the door and down the middle of the aisle.

I've seen St. Elmo's Fire on props and rolling down the aisle a couple of times.  I guess it never occurred to me to try to catch plasma!

Use a good quality jar if you do.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 3:58:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Use a good quality jar if you do.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:02:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Wow that's pretty cool
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:40:50 AM EDT
[#27]
WOW that is crazy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top