Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2013 9:53:14 AM EDT
I recently got into model building and am putting together armor, artillery, and infantry for a diorama of a battle at Anzio in honor of my grandfather who was a Sherman tank gunner there. So far I've put together a Tiger I and Pak 40 w/ crew and now I'm almost done with a Flak 36 88mm gun and am about to start on the crew, but I'm trying to get some info. What would a Luftwaffe Flak 36 crew have been wearing in Anzio in 1944? Would they have still been wearing the Afrika Korps tan uniforms? Or would they be wearing the feldgrau colored uniforms? In my research, it seems that most vehicles would be camo or Afrika Korps tan, but I'm not finding much on uniforms. Any help would be appreciated!
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 10:29:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Anzio isn't in Sicily and the battle was in 1944.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 10:49:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anzio isn't in Sicily and the battle was in 1944.
View Quote

Heh! I'm stupid, I got mixed up. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 11:00:56 AM EDT
[#4]
LW crews would have worn field blue, not field gray, wool uniforms. Not sure though if they would have been in tropical or wool uniforms at Anzio.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 11:12:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Sort of depends on "when".  The landing happened in January 22 1944 and the break out in May 1944.  The winter of 1943/4 was cold (not as cold as the severe winter of 1944/5, but cold).  

A German picture of troops near the beachead - lookslike a mix of feldrau and HBT 'drillich'.

Kesselring at Monte Cassino (not to far awayy from Anzio / Nettuno as the crow flies, actually).  The Heer Gefreiter is wearing a mix (assault gun crew wrap tunic with tropical trousers?).

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 11:19:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Short answer is Luftwaffe field blue.  Long answer is it could be almost anything.  Some, perhaps the majority, of AA crews were Luftwaffe.  But, German Army division typically had a heavy AA battery attached, so it could be Army uniforms.  Compunding that is German uniforms were in transisition in that time period.  Things were starting to get chaotic on the supply front and uniforms were anything but uniform.  Afrika Corps tropicals would have been unlikely by then but not impossible.  The Italian front seemed especially varied when it comes to uniforms as the summers could be quite warm and the winters bitterly cold.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 11:50:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Short answer is Luftwaffe field blue.  Long answer is it could be almost anything.  Some, perhaps the majority, of AA crews were Luftwaffe.  But, German Army division typically had a heavy AA battery attached, so it could be Army uniforms.  Compunding that is German uniforms were in transisition in that time period.  Things were starting to get chaotic on the supply front and uniforms were anything but uniform.  Afrika Corps tropicals would have been unlikely by then but not impossible.  The Italian front seemed especially varied when it comes to uniforms as the summers could be quite warm and the winters bitterly cold.
View Quote

Hmm. I didn't know that. I thought all flak batteries fell under the Luftwaffe. With that info, I may just go with field grey and go with Army instead of Luftwaffe. Would they still have red collar tabs for artillery?
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 12:29:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Hmm. I didn't know that. I thought all flak batteries fell under the Luftwaffe. With that info, I may just go with field grey and go with Army instead of Luftwaffe. Would they still have red collar tabs for artillery?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, but by that time, most likely only on the sholder board piping. The litzen would be "generic."
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 12:32:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yes, but by that time, most likely only on the sholder board piping. The litzen would be "generic."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay cool. Generic was pretty much just the grey litzen, correct? Sorry, this stuff gets confusing
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 12:34:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Okay cool. Generic was pretty much just the grey litzen, correct? Sorry, this stuff gets confusing
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 12:36:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

Roger, thanks! I'll probably have more questions in the near future
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 12:41:55 PM EDT
[#12]
German uniforms are an incredibly  complex subject.  To the extant it almost seems like every uniform was different.  Plus it seemed like everyone in Germany belonged to an organization that had some kind of uniform and rank structure.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:48:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Lots of really good reference works out there.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top