Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2013 7:46:03 AM EDT
In order to assist getting back in shape, I recently started with a "pick-up" outdoor soccer group that meets once a week.

They have two equipment rules:
  1. no cleats

2. no shin guards

This is primarily to discourage people from going 110% and the resultant/attendant injuries, but also heads off a lot of butt-hurtedness.

I've noticed several of the players wear indoor soccer shoes (soft gum rubber outsoles).

This actually seems to work better than my cross-trainers, as I've had the ground bite my ass a few times, and the other people not at all.  It could also be that they're used to it...

I've asked around, and "indoor soccer shoes or cross-trainers" seems to be the consensus, but was also wanting to put this to the group here to see if y'all had any better ideas for appropriate footwear in this context.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 7:49:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Outdoor soccer with no cleats or shinguards?

They're asking for more injuries, not less.

Anyway, turf cleats would be best if they're allowed.  http://www.soccerpro.com/Turf-Soccer-Shoes-c39/

Otherwise, go with indoor I guess.  Stupid rules in that league though.  

ETA:  Cross trainers aren't a good idea if you'd like to be able to strike the ball with any sort of consistency.  You need some sort of shoe actually designed for kicking a ball.

Link Posted: 8/27/2013 7:50:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Addias Samba's
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 7:52:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Anyway, turf cleats would be best if they're allowed.  http://www.soccerpro.com/Turf-Soccer-Shoes-c39/

ETA:  Cross trainers aren't a good idea if you'd like to be able to strike the ball with any sort of consistency.  You need some sort of shoe actually designed for kicking a ball.

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 7:53:06 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Addias Sambro's
View Quote

Did you mean Sambas??  If so, those are REALLY slippery outside.  

ETA: I see your edit now.  

Link Posted: 8/27/2013 7:55:09 AM EDT
[#5]
...nevermind.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:35:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

So... I've found out a bit more since I first posted.

The 'injury prevention' rationale is because it was mostly hippies who started this group, and originally they all played barefoot!

I've seen a few of them play now.  The mix tends to change from week to week; never the same group twice.

There are also some guys and girls who play in 'minimalist' shoes (Vibrams, flip-flops, hemp sandals, and whatnot).

It's certainly a 'different' vibe.

Not really a league... these are hippies, for the most part.  More of a self-organizing collective...  

Yeah, I'm starting to figure that out...
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:48:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I would stay away from the screw in turf cleats, but the mini-nub things made for artificial turf should be fine.  I always preferred those anyway unless it was real wet or muddy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top