Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2002 11:04:45 AM EDT
Want to add a Spellchecker to your browser?

This handy little piece of code will spell check your typing in any text box on the internet.  I used to have to copy text to MS Word[b]**[/b] to spell check stuff on the Net, but not anymore!

To use it, create a text document containing the following text:

[b]
oShell= new
ActiveXObject("WScript.Shell");
oShell.SendKeys( "^c" ); //copy
oWord=new ActiveXObject("Word.Application");
oWord.Visible= true;
oWord.Documents.Add();
oWord.Selection.Paste();
oWord.ActiveDocument.CheckSpelling();
oWord.Selection.WholeStory();
oWord.Selection.Copy();
oWord.ActiveDocument.Close(0);
oWord.Quit();
var nRet= oShell.Popup( "Apply changes?\nClick OK to replace all selected text.", 0, "Spell Check Complete", 33 );
if ( nRet == 1 ) {
oShell.SendKeys( "^v"); // paste
}
[/b]

Save this file as "Spellcheck.js" and place this .js script file in your Windows\Temp folder.

Create a shortcut to this script file on your IE explorer bar where links go.  Rename the shortcut to "Spellchecker".

Now you are ready to rock.

[red]TO USE:

Highlight the text in your post, and hit the shortcut.
[/red]
The script will automatically paste the text into MS Word, spell check it (with your help), and copy it back to your post.

[b]**You must have MS Word installed for this script to work![/b]

-credits-
Code by:  Dan Rollins
Printed in: PC Magazine - 9/3/2002
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 11:09:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 11:12:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I have never ever gotten that thing to work! [;)]  It just sits there, and sits there, and sits there...

...and sits there, until I hit the "STOP" button and say "Heck with it".

Besides, the utility works on [b]ANY[/b] site on the internet, not just my favorite one! [:)]

BTW - I tried it again, just now, and I waited no less than 30 seconds, and gave up.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 11:14:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I always get an error when trying to use the spellchecker.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 11:26:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I clicked on the shortcut to run this script, and norton anti-virus went nuts. Are you trying to kill us??
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 11:30:38 AM EDT
[#5]
No, your protection level is probably a little too high to allow running of scripts.

Read the code, it is fairly self-explanatory.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 11:35:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 12:19:14 PM EDT
[#7]
BTT once...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top