Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2002 9:20:51 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 9:35:00 PM EDT
[#1]
In Basic Training, they teach to put dark camo on the "high" spots such as tops of cheeks and forehead and to put light camo on the shady spots such as bottoms of cheeks and neck.  Mainly, you just want to break up your silhouette by using a varied pattern.  Also, a version of McDonald's Ronald McDonald or a skull face in camo both look cool depending on the ages of your kids :)
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 10:02:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
In Basic Training, they teach to put dark camo on the "high" spots such as tops of cheeks and forehead and to put light camo on the shady spots such as bottoms of cheeks and neck.  Mainly, you just want to break up your silhouette by using a varied pattern.
View Quote

TING!

Head of the nail has been hit.
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 10:25:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's the best I can do with just words.

Start with Black on your nose going both ways back across your cheekbones to your ears.

Then put black all over your lips going down bisecting the middle of your jaw on both sides, continuing down your neck.

Then put black on your chin, and make the line go straight down the front of your neck to your Adam's apple.

Then put black in your eyebrows and go to the sides till you touch the tops of your ears.

Then take some more black and start in the middle of your forehead and go straight up into your hair.

Fill in the rest of it with green, always starting in the middle of your face and moving to the sides.

You can sort of tell in this picture of me.

[img]http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/uhlek/Kadargps.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 10:54:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Methos, those are great examples of what not to do.
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 11:04:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 12:21:24 AM EDT
[#6]
High spots get dark color : Nose, forehead, chin, cheek bones.

Low spots get light colors.

Opposite of the way nature made you. So you dont look like a human face.
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 12:46:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
High spots get dark color : Nose, forehead, chin, cheek bones.

Low spots get light colors.

Opposite of the way nature made you. So you dont look like a human face.
View Quote

The way Methos cammied up is the way the army trains their people to do it, some of their units are very anal about it and that is the way everyone has to look.
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 4:29:40 AM EDT
[#8]
that is NOT the way the Army trains people to camo up.  It's too regular.
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 4:43:05 AM EDT
[#9]
[img]http://www.ferris.edu/news/jimcrow/who/055.jpg[/img]

[b]like this?[/b]  [;)]

or this?

[img]http://www.ferris.edu/news/jimcrow/who/al.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 5:06:19 AM EDT
[#10]
damn redray.. I'm gonna have to do a IBTL for that one!  [:O]
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 5:07:36 AM EDT
[#11]
dont take it seriously. its a joke fer chrissakes.
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 10:05:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Well you ought to tell it to the army than that is the way most of them I have worked with cammied, dark strip across the cheeks and nose and chin and sometimes the fore head
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 12:45:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
dont take it seriously. its a joke fer chrissakes.
View Quote

I know it was a joke as I almost LMAO! [:)]

Way back when (mid '80's) @ Planet Ord (7th Inf. Div. (Light) (hence 7idl)[:D]

we used to have diagonal stripes of camo on the face and 'mop tops' on the helmets as a division "trademark'.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 8:25:27 AM EDT
[#14]
The way I was taught to cammo up..At Ft. Benning Infantry OSUT training in 1990 was:

Dark down the nose and across the eyebrows.

Dark along the cheekbones, but not to the nose itself

Dark along the jawbone and on the chin.

Forehead alternating and irregular bands of dark and light colors to break up the "field"

Same alternating pattern for neck and underside of the jaw.

Light colors everywhere else.

Avoid "Stylized" patterns.  No sharp lines. perfectly symmetrical patterns are not so good. Shine is bad.

Some guys tried to mix in a little baby oil to get the paint to go on easier...bad idea because it brings up the shine of the skin.  One guy bought a sportsman's type camo compact...the XO stomped that into oblivion which great violence and vehemence while the guy who bought it and everyone who shared it did lot's of push ups.  he then had them wash off that camo and camo up with the issued sticks.

You can warm up the camo sticks by putting them into your front pants pocket or by heating them with the lighter. A cold stick will not work well.

Link Posted: 11/1/2002 8:41:59 AM EDT
[#15]
At Ft. Benning Infantry OSUT training in 1990 was
View Quote

icemanat95 ,I also did OSUT at Benning in 89/90
What unit were you with? I was Alpha 1/19

Or as we usta say when called to attention( at least till one of our Drill Sgts listned carefully) ALPO 1/19 INFANTRY, SWALLOW ME!  [:D]

echo6
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 8:48:11 AM EDT
[#16]
I went to basic at co A 1/19 in 3/1996
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 11:20:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Or as we usta say when called to attention( at least till one of our Drill Sgts listned carefully) ALPO 1/19 INFANTRY, SWALLOW ME!  [:D]

echo6
View Quote

1/19th INF- Wasn't that called "CandyLand" because you guys had it so easy? [:P]
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 11:33:08 AM EDT
[#18]
1/19th INF- Wasn't that called "CandyLand" because you guys had it so easy?
View Quote

I'm assuming you did your Basic at Harmony Church vs. Sand Hill? [:D]

The buildings were nice. AC and Heat that worked well and great latrienes.

I [b]DID[/b] spend a two weeks in the old WW2 type barracks at Ft.Hood TX, and was glad that I spent my 13 weeks of OSUT in a building that wasent falling down around me [;)]

echo6
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 11:41:11 AM EDT
[#19]
When I was on the M119A1, our first fielding was to the hourglass. Something about spiders, also. Walked the firing line at Camp Roberts a few times. Hoo-uh.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 1:21:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
1/19th INF- Wasn't that called "CandyLand" because you guys had it so easy?
View Quote

I'm assuming you did your Basic at Harmony Church vs. Sand Hill? [:D]

The buildings were nice. AC and Heat that worked well and great latrienes.

I [b]DID[/b] spend a two weeks in the old WW2 type barracks at Ft.Hood TX, and was glad that I spent my 13 weeks of OSUT in a building that wasent falling down around me [;)]

echo6
View Quote

No I was at Sand Hill with the rest of you.

E co, 2/19th INF Rock of Chicamagua(sp). We were "Devil's Playground"
Chock full of ex-Delta DSS. [:D]

Yeah our Starships were pretty nice, but the AC didn't turn off until November, and by that time we were all sleeping in out winter PT's becuase it was so fucking cold.

Do you remember the way the 30th AG smelled?? The raw smell of fear? [:D] I sure hated that reception batt.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 2:43:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Rock of Chicamagua Yup that was us.

When did you go through Basic?
I went and drove around Benning last year.When I drove by the Starships, what usta be 1/19 was now 2/19 [>:/].

I wonder why they changed it?

I was hoping to be able to yell at some Turtles on the way to one of the Malloy ranges, but while we were there, everyone was on Christmas furlogh [:(]

edit to ad..About the 30th AG, I had a "paperwork" issue when I got to recption, and couldent start Boot for a week and a half.
I was given the option of going to the Detail platoon or going to the FTU(Fitness Traning Unit).
I wish I would of picked the Detail Platoon.
Picking up trash around the Post. Would of been better that the 10 days of the PE class From Hell [:D]

echo6

echo6
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 3:04:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Here's a photograph of me and my spotter.
We're in full camo, standing in front of the
large tree in the center of the photo.
You'll have to look carefully to see us...
I'm a fieldcraft master.
[img]http://www.worldisround.com/photos/157/556.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 3:09:18 PM EDT
[#23]
[img]http://photos.msn.com/imageserver/image.aspx?Image=HcZNnT9kkUh7v3gGH5Km46T3B*!oDf9M!jGlaDjEOFd49ED56*bsRhpyr7t!9Ofz2!y0ymupDqHZ4zpAa2!m3ltzI64Olhsc3YLbU0d5FV23noq8SCx67ao2i*kNUwK28PZuEsnWJPk$[/img]
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 3:53:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
In Basic Training, they teach to put dark camo on the "high" spots such as tops of cheeks and forehead and to put light camo on the shady spots such as bottoms of cheeks and neck.  Mainly, you just want to break up your silhouette by using a varied pattern.  Also, a version of McDonald's Ronald McDonald or a skull face in camo both look cool depending on the ages of your kids :)
View Quote

I'll tell you how they "taught us" how to do it in boot camp.

1) Open cammie paint.
2) take your right hand and straighten all the fingers out (knife hands!)
3) quickly rub your fingers all over the paint and rub it all over your face.  Just get it on there right now!  What the f*** is taking you so long, are you a friggin retard?

Link Posted: 11/1/2002 4:21:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

echo6
View Quote

D 1/50, Sand Hill

I ended up in FTU as well, though I got there on my own.  Too many damn pizzas and too few push ups and sit ups in college left me too soft to go direct to training.  So a week in FTU was a good thing.  By the time I was sent on to a training company for real, I was ahead of the game compared to a lot of the guys who had barely passed the initial push up test (which was a surprising number of them).  I could already run like a bastard (that was the one activity I had kept up in college and turned in a 13:25 on my first PT test) so I really just needed to work on upper body strength.  

FTU also gives the recruit a solid dose of Drill Instructor motivation prior to going full immersion.  You get a little used to it and maybe even a little immunized against it.

What was really amazing about FTU is the guys who were intentionally dragging their asses trying to get chucked out.  Didn't anyone tell them that at that point they could still drop out on request and go home?  I mean, I was watching guys who I know could have beaten me into the ground six ways from Sunday, making like it was an absolute struggle for them to do a lousy 10 push ups, let alone the minimum of 20 perfect push ups required to get out of FTU.  I left there doing about 30 perfect push ups and maybe another 15 ragged ass push ups.  I was up to 68 by test time, I didn't hit 80 until jump week of airborne school, then landed in the hospital after screwing up a landing. All that work got flushed down the toilet and I was starting from point A again (except without the good legs and lungs) when I finished physical therapy.  That sucked.

Benning was an interesting place.

The 30th Replacement Company was a horror show though.  Everyone was terrified except for the prior service guys and the guys heading off for reclassification training.  I remember looking across the way at those guys and thinking "when will I get to looking so squared away?"  It took a long while...about the same time I was getting out.

Link Posted: 11/1/2002 5:22:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Arock has the right Idea. Cammo is applied in the vertical or at a 45 degrie angle so it looks like shadows. Applying the cammo across your face from ear to ear is opposite the natural formation of shadows. Using the 'high low' mathod of cammo dosen't break up the edged of the face the way the 'tiger stripe' pattern does. Way back in the day, (1982), I was at
A-7-1 on sand hill, Tredwell Baracks. The new buildings were nice, but they left the AC on in December and heated them in September.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 6:14:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Guess everyone said enough about Methos' pic.
Just one more: remember "there are no horizontal lines in nature."  
Can't even begin to remember where I heard that one.  It's almost always true.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top