Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2002 5:33:36 PM EDT
I'm looking to get a decent .45 cal upper for my AR.  Does anyone know of any sites that offer these?  Any better or worse than others?  And are there higher cap mags or conversions to use?

Thanks!

PS - anyone have a nice used one for sale?
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 6:07:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Oly makes one that uses UZI mags. It differs from the Colt/RRA setup which requires the use of a "block" which goes in the mag well.

If you brainfart with their setup, you'll hit the mag release button and spill the block AND your mag on the ground. (There is some other way to release the mag from the colt design I am not aware of...)

Oly welds a plate around the uzi mag to make it the same dimendions as the inside of the mag well...

There are big differences btw the oly and colt 9mm setup. Parts are not interchangeable...

I am looking to get into a 45 acp upper also, but cant bring myself to pay 59.99 for a 16 rnd uzi mag, PLUS 35 to oly to have it converted with the weld job!

Looking for HI cap UZI 45 acp mags. HELP!
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 6:38:34 PM EDT
[#2]
The only place I've seen that has hicap .45 uzi mags is Vector Arms and they aren't cheap. I want a .45 AR too, but I'm waiting for Cavalry Arms AR-45. It will have a lower designed to take hicap .45 magazines like Grease Gun or Thompson (he hasn't said which magazine for sure). It may or may not use the Oly upper.
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 6:44:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I've wanted one of these things for a long time too.

I believe I've seen grease gun mags for $16 basically new.Can't remember if they hold 20 or 30 rnds?(course thats before any potential required alterations)Hopefully they'll chose which ever  mag is cheapest and most widely avilable.And works reliably[:)]

When is Cav supposed to have these setups ready to purchase?

Link Posted: 10/27/2002 8:12:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Ammoman sells fullcap 32rnd. Uzi mags at a reasonable price.  You can also find used ones.

You can fix the mag release problem--the newer magwell blocks drop in from the top and won't fall out, or you can pin them in, or use the ugly Oly-style ones with the welded on piece of steel.  

Don't think RRA makes a .45 upper.

Oh yeah, forgot about Grease Gun mags as well--they're almost as cheap as sten mags!
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 8:27:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Grease gun mags hold 30 rounds and you can find them for about $10 new. I'm waiting on the Cav lower too.
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 1:30:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Anyone have a link for Cav Arms?  If it looks like this is going to be a reality, I'd rather wait a little while and get the cheap Grease Gun mags and the Cav Arms upper as well.  Screw paying $95 for a fricking 16 round mag!
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 1:33:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Hmm, wait a sec - sounds like Cav arms is going to make a Lower that accepts the Grease Gun mags.  That unfortunately doesn't help me, as I plan on suppressing the setup.  To do that, I have to use my pre-ban lower.  Crap.

Looks like I'm back to square one and have to get UZI mags.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 11:01:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Woo Hoo!  I just scored a nice .45 upper (new) with (3) 10 round Oly Mags for $565.  PLUS I found some .41AE Uzi mags that function as 16 round .45ACP mags - got those for $40 each.  And I got a 28 round modified Grease Gun mag for $70 - life is good.

Anyone who wants some of those .41AE mags, or some 16 round UZI mags (I have a source for those at $55 each) email me.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 3:51:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hmm, wait a sec - sounds like Cav arms is going to make a Lower that accepts the Grease Gun mags.  That unfortunately doesn't help me, as I plan on suppressing the setup.  To do that, I have to use my pre-ban lower.  Crap.
View Quote

Why?
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 4:30:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Liberty - the reason I was saying "crap" is because the lowers they will be making will be post-ban.  And you can't use a suppressor on a post-ban semi auto.  Against the 1994 AW ban.

Luckily, I scored a pre-ban Oly Arms AR today, and got a .45 upper and a load of mags :)
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 5:42:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I am confused. I have a friend that has a registered auto sear and its in a brand new post ban bushmaster lower. Isn't that the same kind of thing? It also has a flash suppressor and a M4 collapsing stock
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 5:45:50 PM EDT
[#12]
[url]www.cmmginc.com[/url]

They carry the Oly arms .45 upper, and mags. i got one. Works great. I use the mag block...that way you don't need to modify the mags hardly. I also have a STEN mag that works with .45 ACP. i love it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 5:51:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Rip - I'm no expert, but I believe your friend is in violation of the 94 AW ban.  You cannot have pre-ban features (flash hider, collapsing stock) on a post-ban receiver.

ATF also considers a suppressor to be a flash hider, and therefor not allowed (even if you pay the $200 tax) on a post-ban gun.  Which is why I got the pre-ban.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 5:55:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I am confused. I have a friend that has a registered auto sear and its in a brand new post ban bushmaster lower. Isn't that the same kind of thing? It also has a flash suppressor and a M4 collapsing stock
View Quote

Machinegun[autosear in this case being the machinegun] anything goes.Sound suppressor is considered a flash suppressor,thats why it has to be pre ban.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 5:55:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

No.  An RDIAS is a registered "machine gun."  You can legally put it into a post-ban AR with all the evil features, as long as the sear is in the rifle.  When the sear comes out, the evil features go with it.  

A sound suppressor is treated exactly like a flash suppressor, therefore, you can't put it on a post-ban autoloading rifle that has a detachable mag and pistol grip.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 5:58:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

A RDIAS married to a post ban is fine. The pre-86 auto sear turns the weapon into a pre-86 compliant MG...At this point, you can have it as a SBR and hang all of the crap onto it that you want...including a suppressor if it's legal where you live.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top