Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2013 3:04:20 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 3:54:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Not having been to the dump in well over a decade it would be interesting to see how thay have evolved.
View Quote

One interesting evolution is that some dumps are recycling stuff. I used to live in Monterey; the municipal dump there has a thriving recycling yard, that has become a model for the entire country! One example: Monterey has some very affluent areas; there is always some kind of building going on there, and contractors frequently find that it is cheaper to discard some items than it is to return them to the supplier. Lots of brand-new building materials find their way to the dump.

Computers, bicycles, games, books, darn near anything you can imagine can be found there if you wait a few weeks.

The recycling area started out as a means for the dump employees to make a few extra bucks; it became so profitable that the county annexed it and is now running the recycling center.

Last Chance Mercantile

Cell phones are not too bad to get rid of, though. There are places you can send them to and they recycle them somehow.
View Quote

One "secret" of cell phones is that any cell phone (if it works) can be used to call 911, even if it doesn't have an existing account with the phone companies. Battered women shelters love 'em! And a lot of the smaller phones end up as Obama phones.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 4:15:42 AM EDT
[#2]
You should get out to the dump more often, Piccolo.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 4:53:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You should get out to the dump more often, Piccolo.
View Quote

Problem is that I don't get rid of things there. I just trade things in and come home with about as much stuff as I went there with.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 6:37:29 PM EDT
[#4]
pmm bump
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top