[#3]
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:29:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Pretty cool
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:34:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:35:16 PM EDT
[#6]
It's cool that after being buried for 70 years the gun fires and wasn't just a rusted lump of steel.  However, I have to laugh at the wearing of full body armor, kevlar helmets and the cowering in the trench, using the Mythbuster's style trigger set up.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:42:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Peat bogs are an ideal place to store stuff outside because there's no oxygen in them.

Thus, no rust.  

Odds are that gun didn't need anything at all but a good cleaning.

If no water intruded into the ammo,  it would have been good, too.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:46:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's cool that after being buried for 70 years the gun fires and wasn't just a rusted lump of steel.  However, I have to laugh at the wearing of full body armor, kevlar helmets and the cowering in the trench, using the Mythbuster's style trigger set up.
View Quote

Uh, lots of things can go wrong, including Glocking.

JMB rules, though.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:48:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Isn't that how a wing mount machinegun should work?  They don't have a trigger
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:56:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Glacier girl was cooler. No cleaning, propped a 20 MM up on a snowmobile and blasted a barrel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glacier_Girl

http://youtu.be/-p8h43TRXwk

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:58:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

JMB rules, though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

JMB rules, though.

I can understand standing clear of the weapon when it's being fired, I just think the armor, helmets and trench are over kill. The round is .303

Then I watch the video from when a P-38 Lighting was recovered from the arctic and they fire a 20mm cannon at a 50 gallon drum by pulling a string.

P-38 20MM
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:00:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

It was a gun buried for 70 years. I think maybe I'd take some precautions when firing it too.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:22:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:26:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I can understand standing clear of the weapon when it's being fired, I just think the armor, helmets and trench are over kill. The round is .303

Then I watch the video from when a P-38 Lighting was recovered from the arctic and they fire a 20mm cannon at a 50 gallon drum by pulling a string.

P-38 20MM
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

JMB rules, though.

P-38 20MM

That is fucking sweet!

The .303 video is very cool, but I don't think I'd want to fly into combat with those... even with eight of them.

I'll bet they had to burn one helluva lotta ammo to bring the Jerry's down.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:35:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

P-38 20MM
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

JMB rules, though.

P-38 20MM

Don't forget they popped a 20mm HE round in doing so.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:27:48 PM EDT
[#16]
There was some British engineer that did a bunch of testing and thought that 8 .303 machine guns gave the best performance. Myself, I like the Spitfire XVI with two 20mm Hispano canons and two .50 Brownings.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:41:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Standard attire for live fire on any military range, by the regs.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:42:25 PM EDT
[#18]
That is pretty cool.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:45:40 PM EDT
[#19]
It would be interesting to know if there are any metallurgical changes buried for that time span.

If so, what are they?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:48:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What? Last .50 cal range I did last year only PPE was ACH, eye and ear pro. MP M9 ranges are often fired in patrol cap and ACUs.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:16:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

What? Last .50 cal range I did last year only PPE was ACH, eye and ear pro. MP M9 ranges are often fired in patrol cap and ACUs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Helmet, flak, eye and ear pro.  Anything other than that for PPE, and your RSO and / or OIC are WRONG, according to DPAM and MCO (and whatever the equivalent USN and USAF regs are) unless waivers were requested and approved by the Base Range Safety Officer.  

I wasn't talking about taking cover in a trench though, lol.

In the USMC, you can qualify or "fam fire" with the M9 or M11 without helmet and flak.  I've shot in Army pistol matches that required wearing of the brain bucket, however.  A strange lot, they are
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 1:05:58 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
That is fucking sweet!

The .303 video is very cool, but I don't think I'd want to fly into combat with those... even with eight of them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is fucking sweet!

Link Posted: 7/26/2013 1:40:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Not CGI, an actual pilot in an actual Spitfire:

Link Posted: 7/26/2013 3:04:04 PM EDT
[#24]
What kind of ROF was that?
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 3:08:17 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
That is fucking sweet!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

JMB rules, though.

P-38 20MM

That is fucking sweet!

That they did. After the Battle of Britain, the RAF quickly made 20mm cannon the standard armament for most fighters.

We planned to do the same, but manufacturing problems led us to stick with .50 cals, which were good enough.

Link Posted: 7/26/2013 3:19:49 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

It would be interesting to know if there are any metallurgical changes buried for that time span.

If so, what are they?
View Quote
Probably not.

The environment of a peat bog is cool and devoid of oxygen.   Metallurgical changes due to this environment

are unlikely to occur as there's no mechanism to cause such changes.

Bodies have been dug out of peat deposits,  bodies tens of thousands of years old,  that still had fresh condition

internal organs including undecayed brains.    

We don't have any artificial preservative system that is as good as what a peat bog is capable of under the right conditions,

and you can preserve things in peat without refrigeration.

Link Posted: 7/26/2013 3:34:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 3:34:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

That looks like an FN38 or FN39, and IIRC they had similar rates of fire as the ANM2 Brownings, about 1200 rounds per minute or so.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 3:54:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aye! I've been out a long time, but we never geared up for target practice.

American Technology! Yeah!
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 4:00:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That looks like an FN38 or FN39, and IIRC they had similar rates of fire as the ANM2 Brownings, about 1200 rounds per minute or so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Odd, I could have sworn one of the troops called it a Browning...
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 4:05:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They've got an air source hooked up, the remotely fired Brownings used a pneumatic trigger system if I recall.  The loop in a Hurricane and Spitfire's control yoke is actually a pneumatic tube that routes through the trigger.  The nose guns in early smallmouth P-40s also have pneumatic lines running to them...
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 4:11:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are Brownings after a sort.

FN Herstal made lots of Browning designs (The Belgian Brownings) and they also made updated and modified versions of the M1919. Most common were their aircraft guns, which most folks term the FN38 or FN39. They also made a ground gun (most call it the FN30). This also could have been a 32, an earlier aircraft gun.

The 38 and 39 had a different, sloped, trunion as compared the square one on the FN30 and the standard Brownings.

http://browningmgs.com/FN/02_Aircraft.htm
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 4:12:09 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Not CGI, an actual pilot in an actual Spitfire:

http://youtu.be/Xf3UtmHLKUU
View Quote

Nice. They used that footage for the TV show Foyle's War.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top