Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2013 10:45:50 AM EDT
I put together some PVC target stands a few days ago using the design on the box of truth website.

I was going to glue the bases with PVC cement, but I was wondering if something like rubber cement would be better.

I obviously don't need them to be waterproof, I really only need to keep them from falling apart while carrying them around or holding targets in the wind.  In the event that one of the pieces gets shot, stepped on, or broken some other way, I think it would be an easier fix without sawing them apart.

What should I get?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:53:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Get lots of spare pipe.  They'll be blown to bits shortly.  Don't glue anything, maybe just a drop of Elmer's.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:55:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get lots of spare pipe.  They'll be blown to bits shortly.  Don't glue anything, maybe just a drop of Elmer's.
View Quote

This plus put a piece or two of rebar in the bottom pieces to give it some weight to prevent being blown over.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:57:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I have several extra pieces... last night was thier maiden voyage and they fared well.  I want to make them a little wider so I'll have more extra pieces after I do that.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:58:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Mine aren't glued at all.  Just pushed tightly together.

I could glue the corners, I suppose.  I leave the uprights unglued on purpose, because I lay them flat toward each other when not in use.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:58:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This plus put a piece or two of rebar in the bottom pieces to give it some weight to prevent being blown over.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought about filling some of them with gravel or something.  It wasn't windy at all last night so they didn't move around at all.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:00:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Mine aren't glued at all.  Just pushed tightly together.  
View Quote

I'm going to have to use something, they were falling apart too easy while I was moving them.

Edit:  I will leave the uprights unglued.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:00:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Ok, I will post the link for you

I plan on making one of these...great idea
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:00:42 AM EDT
[#8]
i would use something less permanent than pvc cement so you can replace parts and disassemble if necessary.

I like the ones on box of truth that have wood uprights so it doesn't matter much if you shoot them.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:02:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Get a couple of cheap plastic strap wrenches from harbor freight, regardless.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:03:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Ya don't glue them, just piece them together, it's easier to fix when they get shot and they pack up small.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:08:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
i would use something less permanent than pvc cement so you can replace parts and disassemble if necessary.

I like the ones on box of truth that have wood uprights so it doesn't matter much if you shoot them.

View Quote

I liked the idea of the wood uprights too.

Here are the four I made, broken down.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:17:40 AM EDT
[#12]
PVC be spendy.  I make ones similar to these out of an 8 foot 2 x 4 sawed up into 2 foot lengths.

...and fit 2 x 2 uprights between the middle 2 x 4s.   The weight is there to keep it from tipping and it doesn't cost much at all.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:34:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
PVC be spendy.  I make ones similar to these out of an 8 foot 2 x 4 sawed up into 2 foot lengths.

http://www.firearmstactical.com/images/Target_Stand_Components.jpg

...and fit 2 x 2 uprights between the middle 2 x 4s.   The weight is there to keep it from tipping and it doesn't cost much at all.

View Quote

I like that.    I might make a couple of those for shits and giggles.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:36:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote
Did my first set out of ABS. Took them to a group shoot, individual said they would shatter/be blown apart. Told him to go ahead and shoot it. Just made clean holes through it.

They take a lot more abuse then people might think.

I use wood now though. Easier to tear down/stack.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:40:31 PM EDT
[#15]
If you're shooting those PVC stands up, I suggest a different hobby. Pinochle perhaps?

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:41:59 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

http://www.firearmstactical.com/images/Target_Stand_Components.jpg

View Quote

I decided to use a bracket on each side of the center so the legs slide in and out. Allows me to take it apart and stack them in a single row of wood, and if really windy I can slide the legs further out in certain directions to help them stay planted better.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:45:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Get lots of spare pipe. They'll be blown to bits shortly. Don't glue anything, maybe just a drop of Elmer's.
View Quote

If you're shooting up your target stands....you're not doing it right.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:29:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

<a href="http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=BHV7OecZ_UNkFM&tbnid=yw_FIzWSwYv7NM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcheezburger.com%2F2732095488&ei=XI7xUZTjD5TU8wTM64GwCA&bvm=bv.49784469,d.eWU&psig=AFQjCNH33ovwMrNBe6orDrBoYjYWHZSWQg&ust=1374871495740955" target="_blank">https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/2732095488/h8B9E945E/</a>
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get lots of spare pipe. They'll be blown to bits shortly. Don't glue anything, maybe just a drop of Elmer's.

<a href="http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=BHV7OecZ_UNkFM&tbnid=yw_FIzWSwYv7NM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcheezburger.com%2F2732095488&ei=XI7xUZTjD5TU8wTM64GwCA&bvm=bv.49784469,d.eWU&psig=AFQjCNH33ovwMrNBe6orDrBoYjYWHZSWQg&ust=1374871495740955" target="_blank">https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/2732095488/h8B9E945E/</a>

I'd agree if I was the only one using them, but they are more of a group buy for the range.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top