Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2013 5:53:31 PM EDT
I have a hard drive with a bunch of movies on it from when I went to Iraq.  I'm going to Afg soon.  Wondering if/how I can watch those movies on an iPad.  I'd really like to get an iPad and not take my laptop at all.  I can't plug a USB drive into an iPad, so what are my options.  Also, if everyone else is swapping movies on external hard drives, am I simply SOL trying to watch them on an iPad?  And finally, how will I watch haji DVDs?

Thanks ahead.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:05:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Plug ext HD into PC.Should be recognized as drive like E:
Plug iPad into PC. Should be reognized as F:

Drag file E: to F
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:08:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have a hard drive with a bunch of movies on it from when I went to Iraq.  I'm going to Afg soon.  Wondering if/how I can watch those movies on an iPad.  I'd really like to get an iPad and not take my laptop at all.  I can't plug a USB drive into an iPad, so what are my options.  Also, if everyone else is swapping movies on external hard drives, am I simply SOL trying to watch them on an iPad?  And finally, how will I watch haji DVDs?

Thanks ahead.
View Quote

This probably isn't the answer you want, in fact I know it's not, but if you can't figure it out by googling it your probably better off not attempting it.

For the expenditure of the ipad you could get a lower end lap top, that will give you more availability to do things like watch haji dvds, or swap videos.

Hell depending on which ipad you were looking at, you could get a pretty good lap top leave it home and take your old one.

I won't bring breakage up because a lap top is only a little less fragile than an ipad.  

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:09:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Interesting
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:11:37 PM EDT
[#5]
You can do so with Android tablets, don't believe plug-n-play is available on iPad
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:17:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Apple doesnt want you to do that so theyve made it a PITA.

Android tablet with microsd media is a much better idea.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:18:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Your fairly SOL.  You would have to convert most of your video files over to MP4 if they are in .avi or any other format.  You could get an android or a surface and I believe they work almost like a PC and can transfer files and play just about anything.  I do not have and haven't used an Asus Transformer but I co-worker that swears by them and they make a version with gorilla glass that isn't supposed to break.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:04:34 PM EDT
[#8]
this is an option, although a $200 option

i have the older model and it works fine.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:19:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been looking into a western digital. They have apps to move the media from hd to iPad.
Haven't used it, so, look into it.
http://m.wdc.com/en/product/280/mobile_apps

Also, Dropbox plays mp4 videos on iPad through their app.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 4:26:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been looking into a western digital. They have apps to move the media from hd to iPad.
Haven't used it, so, look into it.
http://m.wdc.com/en/product/280/mobile_apps

Also, Dropbox plays mp4 videos on iPad through their app.
View Quote

I don't think that Dropbox actually sync's to the ipad like it does to a computer.  I believe he would have to have an internet connection and if he is over hunting Hadji's I think that will be a bit of an issue most of the time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top