Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2002 6:30:55 PM EDT
[url]http://www.olyarms.com/specials.html[/url]

$424
The PCR-4 kits include a fully assembled, headspaced and test fired 20" post-ban A2 upper receiver unit and all other parts needed to assemble an entire rifle except the stripped lower receiver. Yes, this includes the bolt carrier assembly and charging handle. What this means is that if you have a stripped lower receiver, this kit will provide everything you need to finish the weapon into a standard PCR-4 20" H-Bar rifle.

The complete upper alone is $510?

Link Posted: 10/26/2002 6:35:04 PM EDT
[#1]
How is there quality? As good as Bushmaster?
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 6:40:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Oly is generally not considered to be as quality a product as Bushmater. Their barrels are not chrome lined, and their front sight posts are often still A1 tapered posts.

Why would they do it? I heard from a former emplayee that they aren't good at marketing.
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 6:48:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Did you lok at the picture with the ad? All you need is a STRIPPED lower reciever to make a complete AR15.

I dunno where you heard about the A1 posts, I have owned 3 Oly's (and currently own one) and they all had the "right" front sight post.

Oly barrels are on par with the other AR manufacturers that do not use chrome lined barrels or chambers.
Their stainless steel SUM barrels are the best for the money.

All AR manufacturers have a a few hicups along the way (one of the ABC's had a problem with front sight alingment and there ARE some Clots that do not have chrome lined chambers), if a certain AR manufacturing company really made a shitty product do you think they would still be selling AR15's?

It's a good deal.
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 6:51:03 PM EDT
[#4]
If you have a stripped lower that you've already paid for, lets say $100, then you can build a complete PCR-4 for $524.

The complete PCR-4 sells retail for a couple of hundred dollars more.  Not a bad deal to buy the kit.

BTW, Oly receivers are better quality now that they build them on their newer CNC machines. Their upper and lower halves need no fitting like they use to. Chrome lined barrels ain't no biggie either. I think bushmaster is OVER rated just because they chrome line their barrels as a standard [i](just clever marketing).[/i] I have a chrome lined barrel from Oly, but I also have an Oly stainless that's a tack driver with milsurp ammo.

Link Posted: 10/26/2002 7:18:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I have stainless Oly barrels, and they are outstanding.  I have a Shaw chrome moly unchromed barrel on another rifle, and it is excellent, too.  

There is nothing special about chroming, unless you hang out in nasty, humid areas and don't ever clean your rifle, in which case your bore and chamber will rust.
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 8:38:54 PM EDT
[#6]
i can think of 3 reasons

fire back at anti AR media

some kind of missplanning resulting in massive surplus

to bring them down to the $ level of some other kits (JT distributing, ect...)
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 8:52:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I dont think that kit is all that impressive... it looks like they are trying to reduce their inventory (end of year taxes are coming) and they are overstocked.

How good is Oly compared to DPMS?
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 9:47:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Oly makes good barrels but you want chrome bored and chrome lined barrels,my Bushmaster(diamond back) has all Bushmaster(diamond back) pieces except it has a Splinterd A upper(OLI) because they just couldn't make enough uppers to keep up with orders!  

Olimpic Arms makes some of the best broach bored barrels outy there,you just want one chrome lined!  And you should want a chrome bore!  Just in case you have to shoot some of that dreaded steel cased (wolf) ammo!

Brass swells quickly to fill the chamber that it is fired in, then just as quickly unswells so that it can be easily extracted!  

When and if you fire wolf or any steel cased ammo it swells also but because it is steal and not brass doesn't unswell effectivly ,there for it is harder on your extractor and if you have a chrome bore is more forgiving,easyier to extract .ect.

But yes Oly makes good barrels,and good rifles!

Bob  [:D]
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 9:32:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 9:56:24 PM EDT
[#10]
LOL! Just ask some of the Oly guys who use to make barrels for Bushmaster!
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 10:32:08 PM EDT
[#11]
An unlined barrel is OK for some people, but I was just telling the guy. I spend a lot of time at the WAC show, and I noticed lots of A1 sight posts, and the new carry handles were fine, except for the peep hole diameters. They were both the small ones. I pointed this out to the guy behind the table. I think Oly has lots of good products, I just think that they aren't as consistent as other manufacturers. I am still going to buy a Firsh, and probably a buffer.
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 10:36:55 PM EDT
[#12]
sorry i was pissed at jacks comments
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 11:22:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Combat jack, I told the guys at the Monroe show the same thing, I had to bring in my spare sight to show them they were wrong...I don't have any prob's with Oly...I just happen to own Colts...
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 11:25:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Im gonna buy one next show, if he gives me a free aperture. He said he had the right ones.
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 12:40:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Dang, someone forgot to tell all of us Oly owners who probably went through a few thousands rounds of Wolf in out Oly's that Wolf ammo wasen't going to work in our non-chrome lined barrels.

Hey Phil, what kind of a rifle was jamming every other round yesterday up at the pit? Could it have been a Bushmaster? Ya know, the one with the chrome lined barrel.

I didn't pay too much attention as I was too busy bumping off Wolf ammo out of my Oly (without the chrome lined barrel).

Quoted:
And you should want a chrome bore!  Just in case you have to shoot some of that dreaded steel cased (wolf) ammo!
Brass swells quickly to fill the chamber that it is fired in, then just as quickly unswells so that it can be easily extracted!  
When and if you fire wolf or any steel cased ammo it swells also but because it is steal and not brass doesn't unswell effectivly ,there for it is harder on your extractor and if you have a chrome bore is more forgiving,easyier to extract .ect.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 12:51:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Dang, someone forgot to tell all of us Oly owners who probably went through a few thousands rounds of Wolf in out Oly's that Wolf ammo wasen't going to work in our non-chrome lined barrels.

Hey Phil, what kind of a rifle was jamming every other round yesterday up at the pit? Could it have been a Bushmaster? Ya know, the one with the chrome lined barrel.

I didn't pay too much attention as I was too busy bumping off Wolf ammo out of my Oly (without the chrome lined barrel).

Quoted:
And you should want a chrome bore!  Just in case you have to shoot some of that dreaded steel cased (wolf) ammo!
View Quote
View Quote

Didn't say would happen just could,my Diamond Back loves anything I feed it!

Bob [:D]
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 4:39:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Well, about the barrels. Chrome lining is even more useless in a STAINLESS STEEL BARREL.....

Scott

Link Posted: 10/27/2002 8:15:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 8:32:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
who at Oly used to work for BM?
View Quote

Is that question directed at me?  Tom use to tell me how BM contracted Oly to make barrels for them, and a few other things.
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 1:03:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 1:22:20 PM EDT
[#21]
maybe they want to sell something before the elections. [shotgun]
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 2:17:59 PM EDT
[#22]
On the subject..can anyone recommend some good kits? Kits that you've experience with? I'm looking for a lightweight barrel & collapsible.

Thanks for help guys,
[b][blue]NAKED[/blue][/b]
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 4:24:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Why would they start a marketing campain that should nudge those that are waiting for "a sign" before they buy a kit?

Maybe it's the possibility of being caught with their drawers down incase of a ban on "assault weapon" parts kits in the shyt that will surely befall us after this "sniper" shooting spree.

Look at it this way. If in the worst case all AR type weapons are banned from further sales to civilians, who will OLy sell to? An already saturated police market? The military? Fat chance of that happening. If I were the top dog at Oly I'd dump everything I had right now and play catchup later if nothing happened as far as new laws on the books.IMHO
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 5:36:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Just go to the INDUSTRY form and post the question to them. [;D]

Happy owner of OLY, Flat top,16" SS barrel with thousand of round down range and no problems
[img]http://home.att.net/~hulehan/wsb/html/view.cgi-image.html--graphic.html[/img]
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 5:47:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:
View Quote
View Quote

Oly mentions that you shouldn't use wolf on their website.... Wolf in an AR=Bad. (Due to small diameter gas tube...) Anything else, go for it!
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 6:01:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Well, the PCR rifle kit is how I got my AR.  I bought an RRA stripped lower at a gunshow, then ordered the kit.  Had my AR built for right around $600.  Functions fine.  NO problems. Fit and finish are great.  

FWIW, I shot the best I've ever shot in a highpower match with that rifle (I've only shot in a few, tho), but it did open up in later strings.  I think the barrel heated up, and the sideways pressure of the sling caused it to start throwing shots wild.  A theory I have yet to test.  :)
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 7:23:21 AM EDT
[#27]
[img]http://www.andyhines.com/images/ebay/akplink.gif[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top