Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/24/2013 4:18:11 PM EDT
I have to quit smoking for a new job I start on Tuesday. Im a 2 pack a day smoker right now. ANY help or advice would be great.  Also, what can I expect to go through physicaly and mentaly?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:18:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Nicorette gum, electronic cigs and mountain dew.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:19:07 PM EDT
[#2]
6 days to quit? Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:20:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Switch to E-Cigs.  There's a huge forum on it.  Get a good one.

Otherwise expect to be a cranky pissed off miserable motherfucker for a few weeks.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:21:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Ever tried nasal snuff?

I haven't bought a pack since changing to snuff. I recommend Stok.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:21:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
6 days to quit? Good luck.
View Quote

It only ever takes a moment when you get right down to it.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:21:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Switching over to e-cigs isn't too hard. You could do that while you contemplate how you want to quit. I just quit three months ago using the patch supplemented with an e-cig. Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:21:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Smoke little today. Throw out pack. Do not smoke at all tomorrow. Only way or you will be sneaking them here and there.

If you have will power. Alsso you won't smell like shit
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:21:36 PM EDT
[#8]
How about being a rational and intelligent adult and just fucking do it?

God dam you have to be a fucking idiot to smoke cigarettes knowing damn good and well what the fuck they do to your body.

I dont know about you but I love living and want to keep my quality of life the best I can for as long as I can.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:21:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Go to your doctor and get a prescription for Chantix tomorrow. Before Tuesday, you'll be able to put your cigarettes away.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:22:19 PM EDT
[#10]
All I can do is wish you luck!
Unlike me, most people here think you should be able to be a heroin addict and still have a job......
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:22:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Cold turkey, just say enough is enough.

I kept 1 cigarette with me for 3 months, that bastard talked to me often but I held out. It's now been over 13 months. It's in your head my friend, you've got to make the choice.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:24:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Do you have to pass a blood test? You've got to be clean for a minimum of 48 hours, 96 would be better. Drink LOTS of water. Best of luck.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:25:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Don't let a cigarette kick your ass

Just Do It, That is the best way. I was a 2 pack a day smoker and quit cold turkey

I quit over 20 years, Now I can't stand the stench of them

Mentally no issues, physically every thing taste so much better.
as far as the habit of sticking something in your mouth.

Altoids or Cinnamon gum

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:28:19 PM EDT
[#14]
pay me $1000 if you start enough.   That was all it took for me to quit.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:28:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I quit in 2005.  Pack and a half/day.  Haven't wanted one since.

Just man the fuck up.  Don't torture yourself with patches, nicorettes, and all that crap.  It just prolongs the misery.

For psychological purposes, carry a lighter and pack on you for a couple of weeks.  That way you won't panic from not having one around.

Then leave the cigs at home and just carry a lighter.

You'll be PMS'ing for about 90 days.  Just ride it out the best you can.

Then you'll be fine.

You won't start feeling better about it for a couple of years.  No regrets here.

And don't get self-righteous on your old smoking buds.

Good luck.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:29:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

God dam you have to be a fucking idiot to smoke cigarettes knowing damn good and well what the fuck they do to your body.

I dont know about you but I love living and want to keep my quality of life the best I can for as long as I can.

View Quote

Sounds like someone who has never smoked before....  

OP is asking for help and advice not a fucking lecture.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:29:29 PM EDT
[#17]
The problem is, like with most of us who smoke, that we don't really want to quit.  If you want to quit, then do it.  The withdraw symptoms last a few days but then it's over.  It's the memory of enjoying it, especially during a stressful situation, that keeps us hooked.  It's not magic.  After a few days you'll feel better physically.  If you're like me though, you have a routine when you smoke (checking ARFCOM when you wake up and having a smoke, after lunch, etc).  You need to find something to fill that gap because it WILL bring you back if you don't.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:29:30 PM EDT
[#18]
ecig with wellburtrin
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:29:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Last day for me was December 31, 1990
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:30:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I was a 2 pack a day smoker.  I looked at myself in the mirror and said I wasn't going to smoke anymore.  And I didn't.  

Try coffee stirrers.  Restricted airflow if you suck through them, something to play with in your fingers, so wing to chew on.  Nicotine is out of your system in 72 hours, after that its mental and physical habit.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:30:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Get an e cigarette. I haven't smoked in 334 days after 18 years. Cold turkey is stupid. You will fail. You need to substitute habit at least for awhile.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:31:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Go to this thread and ask about e cigs. Skip to the more recent pages, like 74 or higher.  Working for me so far......

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:32:15 PM EDT
[#23]
What kind of job are you taking that prevents you from smoking ?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:32:30 PM EDT
[#24]
I was a three pack a day smoker in Afghanistan and I quit cold turkey after being ridiculously busy and sleeping 2-3 hours a night for 4 days.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:34:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:35:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Let me know when you get good answers.
View Quote

Know why you smoke?

Because You Want To.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:35:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Go to your doctor and get a prescription for Chantix tomorrow. Before Tuesday, you'll be able to put your cigarettes away.
View Quote

This does work and very quickly...however, be VERY aware of side effects, suicide and violent mood swings for no reason are somewhat common.  And I mean VIOLENT!  Ask me how I know
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:37:31 PM EDT
[#28]
I quit three months ago after a bout of salmonella.

Eat some raw chicken tonight, you'll be GTG by Tuesday.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:39:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

my friend, you've got to make the choice.
View Quote

THIIS! I did it with booze
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:40:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I quit in 2005.  Pack and a half/day.  Haven't wanted one since.

Just man the fuck up.  Don't torture yourself with patches, nicorettes, and all that crap.  It just prolongs the misery.

For psychological purposes, carry a lighter and pack on you for a couple of weeks.  That way you won't panic from not having one around.

Then leave the cigs at home and just carry a lighter.

You'll be PMS'ing for about 90 days.  Just ride it out the best you can.

Then you'll be fine.

You won't start feeling better about it for a couple of years.  No regrets here.

And don't get self-righteous on your old smoking buds.

Good luck.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:40:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its doesnt fall under the pussification of America answer but the it is the same as others have posted.

Just make up your mind and do it buttercup. (is that better)
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:41:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Just stop smoking

Go find your balls and quit

Don't keep whining like a pussy

Be a man and quit
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:42:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I quit three months ago after a bout of salmonella.

Eat some raw chicken tonight, you'll be GTG by Tuesday.
View Quote

I must have quit a hundred times.

The last time was in 1966.

Just quit, Right Fucking Now!

It's a bitch.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:43:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Where the hell did OP go? I'm curious what job requires you to be a non-smoker????
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:43:54 PM EDT
[#35]
good luck man.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:45:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Don't use any products that contain nicotene.
That's what they'll test for.
Cold turkey if you really want the job and to live longer.
More $ (Hopefully) and a healthier lifestyle.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:46:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Good luck on quitting. I really hope you do. I work at a cancer center and do whole body scans to diagnose and evaluate cancer. About 60% of my patients are smokers with lung cancer. Needless to say I fucking hate what smoking does to people. I fucking hate it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:47:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Where the hell did OP go? I'm curious what job requires you to be a non-smoker????
View Quote

Some area Hospitals and medical offices require it. I was surprised that it's legal but it is what it is.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:49:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Stop?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:50:30 PM EDT
[#40]
I used chantix when it first came out and dropped a three pack a day times 18 year habit.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:51:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

There was talk in another thread where Teamster UPS workers had until Sept. 1 to quit or pay an extra $150.00 a month for health ins. Could be something related to that.

As to OP's question: Quit cold turkey. I did that in 2006 and have had 2 cigarettes since then.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:51:08 PM EDT
[#42]
I quit in February, after 20 plus years. I just had to decide that I wanted to quit. I bought a pack of cigarettes and decided that was the last pack I was ever going to buy. The rule was I could smoke as many or as few as I wanted, but when they were gone, they were gone. I made that pack last for 7 days (I was a pack a day smoker). The real trick was to just decide I didn't want to do it anymore.

I hope you can kick the habit. After 3 or 4 days, the urge to punch kittens in the face subsides. After that, you just have to beat the habit of the act of smoking.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:54:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Man up and go cold turkey.  I smoked 2 packs a day for 10 years.  I went cold turkey 30 years ago and haven't looked backed.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:55:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Its amazing how many people think its easy.

I'm in the process of quitting cold turkey and all I want to do is skullfuck the shit out of something for a cigarette.

It was easier to quit morphine. Twice.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:56:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Switching over to e-cigs isn't too hard. You could do that while you contemplate how you want to quit. I just quit three months ago using the patch supplemented with an e-cig. Good luck.
View Quote

I havent had nicotine in months.  No stress or real withdrawals because I still puff on an e cig.  Not much though.  I did a lot when I stopped smoking.  Then again each time I ramped the nicotine level down in the juice.  Now I mainly use it to scratch the itch to fiddle with something.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:57:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Don't smoke and you will be quit.

Sounds stupid but is the way it is.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:57:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Its amazing how many people think its easy.

I'm in the process of quitting cold turkey and all I want to do is skullfuck the shit out of something for a cigarette.

It was easier to quit morphine. Twice.
View Quote

Btdt.  Be strong.  Acquire bragging rights.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:57:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Ecigarettes work, should check them out.

ETA:Ecigs
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:58:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:58:34 PM EDT
[#50]
I went from a pack and a half a day to zero in one day.  Just quit...it's the easiest way.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top