Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2001 1:31:01 AM EDT
Warning about the "E-Mail" page on the CaDOJ website.

I was going to ask the CaDOJ about registration confirmations through their so-called "E-Mail" page (http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/mailpage.htm); however, it dawned on me that they would receive my IP address--just like Ed can see our IP addresses when we post on this board. I realized that the DOJ would then be able to trace my IP address to my ISP and eventually to me.

Of course it really doesn't matter since I submitted my registration form with all my personal info, but say you asked them a question by this method and divulged the fact that you own unregistered assault weapons.  

Call me paranoid, but I forsee the following scenario, "Thank you Mr. X for letting us know you own illegal weapons please turn them in or else... Also, we know where you live 'cause we traced your IP addy to your ISP, and they gave us your home address."

BTW Ed, please torch the AR15.com forum server should the ATF ever come to try and confiscate it.

thx.

Link Posted: 4/12/2001 4:46:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Call me paranoid too.

I have two accounts.

1 pay and the other free.

Use the free one(such as NetZero) in conjunction with your alias Yahoo email account to send queries to the DOJ.

I don't think DOJ can trace you unless NetZero is in on it and traces your original call.

I didn't even download NetZero from my own computer for fear of a DOJ/NetZero trace.

Never use real personal info when you don't have to.
Link Posted: 4/12/2001 4:48:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I put a firewall in when I got DSL...I was AMAZED how many different computer 'attack/ping' MY computer all day and all nite......

I bet they can trace you guys no matter HOW you log in............IF they wanna.....

HEY CAL DOJ.......TELL FEINSTEIN TO BLOW ME UP....I AM NOT IN KALIKOMMMIE !!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 6:26:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Thankyou for your interest. Your comments have been forwarded to the customer service division!

[-!-!-]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top