Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2002 9:08:47 PM EDT

Humph- "controlled crash"...suuuure. "Jump!! Jump before the hydrogen ignites, Herr Flugkapitaen"....[rolleyes]

[url]http://www.macon.com/mld/macon/news/local/4337630.htm[/url]

Posted on Mon, Oct. 21, 2002  

MetLife Blimp crashes; no one injured

VALDOSTA, Ga. - A MetLife blimp narrowly missed a gazebo just before it crashed Monday in south Georgia due to high winds.

The pilot was forced to jump from the gondola moments before the blimp's impact. Authorities said no one was injured in the incident, which happened shortly after 5 p.m. in Lowndes County.

The pilot described the crash as controlled.

The blimp initially tried to land at Valdosta Regional Airport but high winds from an afternoon storm blew the ship named "Snoopy One" off course.

Snoopy One is one of two MetLife blimps that cover professional sporting events around the country. A five-vehicle, 14-member crew travels with the blimp during its trips across the country.

A similar incident happened with Snoopy One's sister ship in Kansas City in September 2001. The blimp in town for a professional football game broke away from its mooring during a thunderstorm and landed about 75 miles away in rural northern Missouri. No one was injured during that event.

Federal Aviation Administration Officials are expected to investigate the crash Tuesday.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/21/2002 9:23:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

"Jump!! Jump before the hydrogen ignites, Herr Flugkapitaen"....[rolleyes]
View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 9:47:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought you were talking about Rosie.
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 10:25:17 PM EDT
[#3]
How does a blimp "crash?"  I suspect that it would simply make a blllluuuuummmmppppppp sound like a bouncing tire or rubber inflatable ball.
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 3:30:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How does a blimp "crash?"  I suspect that it would simply make a blllluuuuummmmppppppp sound like a bouncing tire or rubber inflatable ball.
View Quote

Imagine, if you will, Tinky Winky slamming against Dipsy...

"PARP!"[%|]  

Att'n, Photoshop Army: we need icons and clip art of the Teletubbies carrying full-auto firearms, please....
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 4:40:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Any video out there?  I'd love to see this.
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 4:45:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm pretty sure they are using helium now, vice hydrogen. When the Spirit of Akron (Goodyear) blimp went down, it did with a thud, not a boom. Plus, the hundenberg incident put the kabots on hydrogen as a lift agent...
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 5:06:29 AM EDT
[#7]
mugs, i've been at the hartville/brimfield/suffield facility when blimps were pulled out of the hanger and flown.

i only saw the footage of the aftermath of the s-o-akron crash...and it wasn't pretty!

we make some gondola parts and steering parts for the blimps, as well as the gondola assembly fixtures.
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 5:16:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Imagine, if you will, Tinky Winky slamming against Dipsy...

View Quote

I'd rather not  

[sex]

Link Posted: 10/22/2002 5:19:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure they are using helium now, vice hydrogen. When the Spirit of Akron (Goodyear) blimp went down, it did with a thud, not a boom. Plus, the hundenberg incident put the kabots on hydrogen as a lift agent...
View Quote

I'm pretty sure that America has only used helium for their blimps even way back when Germany was still using hydrogen.

Nobody uses hydrogen anymore because helium is so prolific now and it is infinitely safer. Who the hell wants to take a ride in a bomb?
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 5:26:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

The "Hindenburg", actually.

I was making a joke in my original post.

And yes, we all know that hydrogen hasn't been used a lifting medium since 1937. I also seriously doubt that any US blimp pilot would be called "Flugkapitaen"....Hence the [rolleyes] used in that post as well as in this one....[rolleyes] [rolleyes] [rolleyes]

Did anybody not get the "Oh, the humanity" reference? [%|]   I'll 'splain it if you need it, Lucy... [:D]
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 5:34:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Did anybody not get the "Oh, the humanity" reference? [%|]   I'll 'splain it if you need it, Lucy... [:D]
View Quote

What sets man apart from the beasts is our interest in things that took place before we were born, or will take place after we die.

I've come to realize that the audience here is a perfect sampling of the average population and hence doesn't know shit about dick, so to speak.

Link Posted: 10/22/2002 5:45:40 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm pretty sure that most everybody has seen the Hindenburg crash and gets the meaning on the thread title. If not they either have a very bad memory or live in a cave.
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 5:56:24 AM EDT
[#13]
The H2 gas in the Hindenberg was only a small problem--the thickly doped outer skin was what was so damn flammable.
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 8:17:20 AM EDT
[#14]
And let's not forget the major product of hydrogen when it combusts: water. The film of the Hindenburg catching fire then crashing shows much flame spreading along its doped fabric skin, then huge clouds of water droplets- more than just the ballast that was still on board.

No explosion.
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 1:46:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

The "Hindenburg", actually.

I was making a joke in my original post.

And yes, we all know that hydrogen hasn't been used a lifting medium since 1937. I also seriously doubt that any US blimp pilot would be called "Flugkapitaen"....Hence the [rolleyes] used in that post as well as in this one....[rolleyes] [rolleyes] [rolleyes]

View Quote

We get it.  It was what the radio guy was babbling when the Hindenburg went down.  

Your "joke" just wasn't that funny.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top