Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2013 3:34:56 PM EDT

Terrifying video captures moment German drone missed Afghan plane carrying 100 passengers by just two metres

• Video filmed from Luna drone shows it flying towards passenger plane

• Out-of-control drone was caught in turbulence caused by the Ariana plane

• Video caused outrage in Germany as debate rages about drones

• Government announced new drones will not have anti-collision technology

• Comes in wake of 'drone-debacle' after country scrapped Euro Hawk programme that had already cost Germany 500million Euros

PUBLISHED:

08:08 EST, 3 June 2013

|

UPDATED:

10:41 EST, 3 June 2013

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2335122/Terrifying-video-captures-moment-German-drone-missed-Afghan-plane-carrying-100-passengers-just-metre.html

Link Posted: 6/3/2013 3:35:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Thank goodness they are safe according to the FAA and we will only have to be dodging 30,000 of them in a year or two.

Link Posted: 6/3/2013 3:36:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Did it miss the plane or nearly miss it?
Link Posted: 6/3/2013 3:36:54 PM EDT
[#3]
So which is it?    Did it miss or only nearly miss?

eta: Oh goddamit.
Link Posted: 6/3/2013 3:37:28 PM EDT
[#4]
That image is downright terrifying for someone who spends every moment of the flight waiting for the inevitable crash.
Link Posted: 6/3/2013 3:39:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That image is downright terrifying for someone who spends every moment of the flight waiting for the inevitable crash.

That's because the "pilots" have zero skin in the game.

They can hit the reset button.

We can't.

Link Posted: 6/3/2013 3:41:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

We can't.

If the soviet union had them, they'd put explosive charges under the operators' seats in case of a crash.
Link Posted: 6/3/2013 3:43:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thank goodness they are safe according to the FAA and we will only have to be dodging 30,000 of them in a year or two.

Someone should regulate them. For safety. For the children.
Link Posted: 6/3/2013 3:45:53 PM EDT
[#8]
It is my understanding that this video is from 2004. I can't believe that an Afghan Airlines plane doesn't have goats strapped to the wings.
Link Posted: 6/3/2013 3:47:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

It is my understanding that this video is from 2004. I can't believe that an Afghan Airlines plane doesn't have goats strapped to the wings.

The goats are the pilots.

Link Posted: 6/3/2013 3:50:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh OK I was confused for a bit...
Link Posted: 6/3/2013 3:54:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Traffic 11:00 low.... Not so low... Traffic 11:00!!!!!

Wut?

Don't worry about it
Link Posted: 6/3/2013 3:56:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Look at the date it happened...

That's an eternity from a technological standpoint. So, who cares?
Link Posted: 6/3/2013 4:01:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Look at the date it happened...

That's an eternity from a technological standpoint. So, who cares?

It was classified - presumably leaked and posted only recently

The video was posted on YouTube despite it being strictly classified.

Wreckage from the crash in 2004 was never recovered.

German magazine Der Spiegelbelieve that the drone flew less than two metres away from the Airbus A300, putting 100 lives at risk.

However, Germany is still going ahead with the purchase of a possible 16 armed aircraft for military use from 2016.

The country has held talks with Israel over the Heron TO unmanned aerial vehicle and with the U.S. over the Reaper aircraft.

As for "who cares?"

Link Posted: 6/3/2013 4:01:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Did it miss the plane or nearly miss it?

<George Carlin>

It's not a near miss, it's a near hit!

*boom* "Look, they nearly missed!" "Yup, but not quite!"

</George Carlin>
Link Posted: 6/3/2013 4:02:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Give that drone pilot a medal!

Link Posted: 6/3/2013 4:12:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pilot - cheska in tea kettle cozy for a hat.
Stewardesses - goats
Link Posted: 6/3/2013 4:25:20 PM EDT
[#17]
After the passengers saw the German markings on it I wonder if they thought is was German V-1 buzzbomb.
Link Posted: 6/3/2013 4:40:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

We can't.

Yes, there are ZERO repercussions if one of us hits another aircraft.

None.

In fact, we make it a game to see how many other aircraft we can down. Civilians are double points.

I am EXTREMELY paranoid about other planes in my space. I've already had to dodge helicopters on two occasions (Cleared both times by the MCT, on one occasion the helicopter had never called in and just showed up one night, on the other a pair of helicopters decided they didn't want to hold for a mere UAV and decided to land anyway) and have had other manned aircraft at my altitude in my area because of idiot controllers (one was a pair of Apaches less than a mile away).

People need to understand that UAVs are NOT always the problem, and they're NOT always at fault (are they sometimes? Absolutely). They also need to understand that during launch or recovery, some systems (like the one I fly) have fixed nose cameras, and I can only see the slice of sky in front of me. I can't turn my head and look for a contractor MI-8 trying to mate with me
Link Posted: 6/3/2013 4:41:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Did the drone "fly toward the passenger aircraft" or did the passenger aircraft overtake (and almost run over) the drone?
Link Posted: 6/3/2013 4:44:12 PM EDT
[#20]
I interpreted the title as a smart ass way to say they collided.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top