Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/23/2013 8:33:22 AM EDT
(CNN) -- Disney World is looking into reports that some wealthy visitors are hiring disabled people to pretend to be family members so that they can skip lines.

"It is unacceptable to abuse accommodations that were designed for guests with disabilities," spokesman Bryan Malenius told CNN Wednesday. "We are thoroughly reviewing the situation and will take appropriate steps to deter this type of activity."

Reports of the alleged practice sparked fury on social media, with some people calling the actions "crazy," "awful," and "despicable."

link

The 1% is at it again.
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 8:34:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Good.
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 8:35:55 AM EDT
[#2]
These disabled people have found gainful employment and now Disney is going to leave them unemployed.
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 8:38:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I wonder where they hire these people from? Craigslist?
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 8:38:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
These disabled people have found gainful employment and now Disney is going to leave them unemployed.

Except they think they're doing good. Idiots.
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 8:39:19 AM EDT
[#5]
But yet, they still won't admit that the rich are "job creators".  
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 8:40:36 AM EDT
[#6]
WHY YOU HATE CAPITALISM
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 8:43:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Now these parents are going to have to break their own kids leg in order to get to the front of the line.....
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 8:44:12 AM EDT
[#8]
what's the issue...

people don't want to wait in line
rules say disabled are given right of way thru the line
those with the money, hire the disabled to get them tru the right of way.
Disabled profits and gets a free trip to DW
wealthier among us spend money insuring jobs to both the disabled and the people of Disney from
the floor sweeper to the director of operations.

it's called CAPITALISM

fuck your 1% nonsense, with out the 1%, the 99% would eat each other.
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 8:44:33 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't really have a problem with this.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 8:46:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Is selling drugs gainful employment?

This is fraud.
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 8:46:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I don't really have a problem with this.  

Me neither. I just thought it was funny as hell.
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 8:46:53 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm pretty sure the disabled classification covers more than just people who are mental disabled.

The real question is, why is Disney giving perks to those who are not disabled?

If they restrict it to only those with the actual disability, plus maybe one supervisor if the situation calls for it, then this will go away instantly.

The truth is that Disney allows more people into the parks than they have services for.

Link Posted: 5/23/2013 8:48:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
But yet, they still won't admit that the rich are "job creators".  

Link Posted: 5/23/2013 8:48:18 AM EDT
[#14]
In before a wheel-chair bound vet sues Disney for mistreatment because some gate nazi at Disneyworld tried to call BS.  .
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 8:50:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Now these parents are going to have to break their own kids leg in order to get to the front of the line.....

I'm surprised Disney World doesn't resemble an orthopedic convention.

Link Posted: 5/23/2013 8:52:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is fraud.

so they're not actually disabled but pretending to be and getting paid for it?
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 8:53:09 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is fraud.

Pfizer thinks so.

Its not fraud.  There is no expectation, nor requirement, that the people who accompany said disabled person have anything to do with them.  Otherwise, what would be allowable?  

Family only?  Then people who go with friends get discriminated against.  

Family and friends only?  Then social workers/teachers/aids can't take disabled people to Disney, how does that make sense?

Link Posted: 5/23/2013 8:59:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is fraud.

No they are not actually members of the famlies they say they are, or even friends. They are hired contract employees used to defraud other paying customers of their money by wasting it in lines made longer by people illegally abusing a system.

If its not fraud, show Disney your contract for the hired gimp, and watch what they do.

Because of the fraud, the system will be changed and people with real disabilities enjoying the park with their families get screwed. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 9:00:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

They get disability jump the line passes for ADD() with a MD note and sell them on CL.

I mean, it's capitalism but it's scummy capitalism, doesn't make it right.

Using a disabled person, paying them or not, that isn't in your family to jump the line is bullshit, IMO.
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 9:03:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Maybe the disabled person could never afford to see the inside of a Disney park without the sponsorship of the wealthy guest?

The outrage over this is ludicrous. If you're stupid enough to pay a fuck ton of money to stand in lines you deserve to get passed by someone smart enough to bring someone in a wheelchair along on their vacation.

Link Posted: 5/23/2013 9:07:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is fraud.

No they are not actually members of the famlies they say they are, or even friends. They are hired contract employees used to defraud other paying customers of their money by wasting it in lines made longer by people illegally abusing a system.

If its not fraud, show Disney your contract for the hired gimp, and watch what they do.

Because of the fraud, the system will be changed and people with real disabilities enjoying the park with their families get screwed. Thanks.

Inigo Montoya has a saying for you...

Link Posted: 5/23/2013 9:07:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is fraud.

utter horsesheite
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 9:10:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Maybe the disabled person could never afford to see the inside of a Disney park without the sponsorship of the wealthy guest?

The outrage over this is ludicrous. If you're stupid enough to pay a fuck ton of money to stand in lines you deserve to get passed by someone smart enough to bring someone in a wheelchair along on their vacation.

If they're bringing someone with a disability that's a friend or a family member, that's one thing.  If they're using a disabled person for the purposes of jumping the line, that's not smart, that's scummy..  Sorry, I did Disneyland from a wheelchair when I was 6.
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 9:10:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

This is fraud.

Pfizer thinks so.

Its not fraud.  There is no expectation, nor requirement, that the people who accompany said disabled person have anything to do with them.  Otherwise, what would be allowable?  
Family only?  Then people who go with friends get discriminated against.  
Family and friends only?  Then social workers/teachers/aids can't take disabled people to Disney, how does that make sense?

Actually, it is expected that the people hanging out with the disabled people are somehow affiliated with them.  That's why some people hire them for trips to Disneyland.
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 9:11:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They get disability jump the line passes for ADD() with a MD note and sell them on CL.

I mean, it's capitalism but it's scummy capitalism, doesn't make it right.

Using a disabled person, paying them or not, that isn't in your family to jump the line is bullshit, IMO.

This.
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 9:13:08 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm gonna hire a disabled kid and sue for 'scrimination!

Link Posted: 5/23/2013 9:19:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Am I going to be the first to ask why it is acceptable for people in wheel chairs to skip lines in the first place? Is this form of reverse discrimination more palatable to arfcom? If everyone waits in the same line then the problem is solved.
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 9:20:07 AM EDT
[#28]
I can pay a Disney Employee for a VIP tour and move to the front of several venues.

Costs 167 bucks an hour with a minimum of 6 hours. Good deal.

Link Posted: 5/23/2013 9:21:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If they're bringing someone with a disability that's a friend or a family member, that's one thing.  If they're using a disabled person for the purposes of jumping the line, that's not smart, that's scummy..  Sorry, I did Disneyland from a wheelchair when I was 6.

Disagree with you.  Lines suck.  If I had any desire to go to an overcrowded and overpriced park and all I had to do was pay for one more person to remove some of the misery of the "experience" I'd do it in a heartbeat and sleep like a baby.

Link Posted: 5/23/2013 9:25:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I can pay a Disney Employee for a VIP tour and move to the front of several venues.

Costs 167 bucks an hour with a minimum of 6 hours. Good deal.

So basically Disney doesn't want competition.
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 9:31:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Just do not go to Disney from May through August and you are good to go. No lines, no wait, just fun!
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 9:36:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure the disabled classification covers more than just people who are mental disabled.

The real question is, why is Disney giving perks to those who are not disabled?

If they restrict it to only those with the actual disability, plus maybe one supervisor if the situation calls for it, then this will go away instantly.

The truth is that Disney allows more people into the parks than they have services for.

There's your problem right there.
It sucks to stand in a line that lasts for an hour to ride something that takes < 5 mins. If the lines were shorter, people wouldn't look for ways to get around them.
Raise entrance fees and cap admission. Make it more exclusive and make it more enjoyable.

Link Posted: 5/23/2013 9:39:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Like all the unemployed Little People in Florida when they outlawed Dwarf-Tossing.
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 9:39:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Why the fuck can't someone in a wheelchair sit in line for 2 hrs like the rest of us?? Unless you're there on a "Make-a-Wish" trip and have limited time left... why do you need to go to the front of the line?

I never understood this.
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 10:02:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Why the fuck can't someone in a wheelchair sit in line for 2 hrs like the rest of us?? Unless you're there on a "Make-a-Wish" trip and have limited time left... why do you need to go to the front of the line?

I never understood this.

Damn Disney for being compassionate towards a client base. The frig is wrong with them?
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 10:03:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Disagree with you.  Lines suck.  If I had any desire to go to an overcrowded and overpriced park and all I had to do was pay for one more person to remove some of the misery of the "experience" I'd do it in a heartbeat and sleep like a baby.

I'm glad that making it harder for families that have people with disabilities in them is worth it so you can have a little less misery and a little more sleep.

Link Posted: 5/23/2013 10:05:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 10:09:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Like all the unemployed Little People in Florida when they outlawed Dwarf-Tossing.

There goes my summer plans!
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 10:13:55 AM EDT
[#39]
Good luck to Disney.

I couldn't beleive the numbers of people I saw at WDW on the handicapped scooter/chairs.  

I'm sure many need them but it was crazy, there were families with all matching scooters and none were obese.  I understand there are many other medical issues that require wheel chairs but it was obvious these people were either lazy or running a scam to get ahead in line.  Especially obvious when they park them at the gift shops and just hop up and stroll away from their chariot.
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 10:19:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Maybe things are different now but when I worked for Disney at the Magic Kingdom, disabled guests did not skip the wait. Each attraction had its own SOP for boarding disabled guests and it usually involved having an able-bodied companion go through the line and notify the host/hostess when they got close to the front. Depending on the attraction and the length of the line this procedure might be adjusted slightly. IIRC- This SOP was actually reviewed and approved by a advocacy group for the disabled as part of their; "we don't want to be treated special, just accommodated" campaign. The only time I saw special treatment given to anybody during normal park hours was to "Make-A-Wish" kids.

I worked there before the "Fast-Pass" and other pay for privilege options were made available so maybe things have changed
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 10:21:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never understood this.

Damn Disney for being compassionate towards a client base. The frig is wrong with them?

But he's right, from the standpoint of other customers.
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 10:23:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never understood this.

But he's right, from the standpoint of other customers.

I get that, but *shrug.*
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 10:23:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never understood this.

Compassion? Is a paraplegic inherently less able to wait than I am? As I mentioned... there are situations when people should be fast tracked as a courtesy, but simply being in a wheelchair doesn't seem to warrant that in my opinion.
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 10:23:53 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Maybe things are different now but when I worked for Disney at the Magic Kingdom, disabled guests did not skip the wait. Each attraction had its own SOP for boarding disabled guests and it usually involved having an able-bodied companion go through the line and notify the host/hostess when they got close to the front. Depending on the attraction and the length of the line this procedure might be adjusted slightly. IIRC- This SOP was actually reviewed and approved by a advocacy group for the disabled as part of their; "we don't want to be treated special, just accommodated" campaign. The only time I saw special treatment given to anybody during normal park hours was to "Make-A-Wish" kids.

I worked there before the "Fast-Pass" and other pay for privilege options were made available so maybe things have changed

On most of the rides now disabled people will walk/be pushed/drive right into the fast pass lane and some rides will have you go in the exit.

The only ride I can think of off the top of my head wear someone in a wheelchair will get in the normal line is Haunted mansion. A bit through the line though there is a gate that will take you around to the exit as pushing a wheelchair through the regular line isn't going to work on most rides. I have seen them change this up about 3 times in the last year on that particular ride.
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 10:25:43 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

That makes sense if that's the case. It hasn't been like that at other parks/events though. If that's still their policy, I have no qualms with it... but the fact that people were hiring disabled folks to skip lines kind of makes it obvious that their policy changed at some point.
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 10:25:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never understood this.

Compassion? Is a paraplegic inherently less able to wait than I am? As I mentioned... there are situations when people should be fast tracked as a courtesy, but simply being in a wheelchair doesn't seem to warrant that in my opinion.

That's where I'm at.  I have sympathy for that paraplegic, but why is his time and money worth more than mine?
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 10:26:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never understood this.

Quoted:

That's where I'm at.  I have sympathy for that paraplegic, but why is his time and money worth more than mine?[/quote]

Their policy, their rules.  Instead of arguing this with me, Here's the people you should argue this with
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 10:26:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Wonderful, now disabled kids will be unemployed and back on the taxpayer tit.
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 10:28:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Money buys lots of things.

Link Posted: 5/23/2013 10:32:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never understood this.

Quoted:

That's where I'm at.  I have sympathy for that paraplegic, but why is his time and money worth more than mine?

Their policy, their rules.  Instead of arguing this with me, Here's the people you should argue this with[/quote]

I agree that it's their business and their rules.  But, aside from the fact that their rules are arguably unfair to non-disabled people, they're also the perfect set up for people to abuse them.  Disney doesn't seem too thrilled with the latter.  

The only way to keep people from hiring disabled people to cut in line is to stop allowing disabled people to cut in line at all.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top