Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2013 4:47:37 AM EDT
I'm selling a mower on Craigslist and I put in my phone # (almost I used I instead of 1 and O instead of 0 hoping to throw off the scammers.

I get a text right away from a number that Google says is a landline nearby so I answer it.

Scammer!  Can't travel the 2 hrs to look at it but wants to send a mover

How did they make this appear to come from a relatively local landline?
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 4:51:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Spoof Card. Google it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 5:01:09 AM EDT
[#2]
WTF?  I've all but abandoned email because of them and phone/text seemed like a way to weed them out.

Link Posted: 4/27/2013 5:07:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks to spoof services, I've had my life threatened several times. We get calls from people who say we called them and threaten us with violence or legal action. Filed a police report but they can't do shit about it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 5:17:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Spoof Card. Google it.

+1.  Can come up with any number they want

Link Posted: 4/27/2013 5:30:01 AM EDT
[#5]
How did they send it as a text message?
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 5:32:11 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

How did they send it as a text message?

Anonymous SMS. Google it.

There really isn't shit you can do about it, either. Unfortunately.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 5:38:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I occasionally see people spell out half their phone numbers on CL.  Does that beat their scam or same result?
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 5:44:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Click Here

From what I am seeing these spoof cards are meant to be a way of playing a practical joke on someone? Seems like someone has waaaaaayyy too much time on their hands and developed this as a way of playing a prank on someone else. On the other hand they are making $10 a pop on these cards. It will be interesting to see if these spoof cards become regulated in some way, shape, or form.

AKASL

LIVE FREE OR DIE
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 5:44:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Never add a phone number.  Make them email anonymously through CL with their phone number to set up an appointment.  Easy to weed out the scammers.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 5:53:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Never add a phone number.  Make them email anonymously through CL with their phone number to set up an appointment.  Easy to weed out the scammers.

I started adding phone # to stop the scam emails.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top