Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2002 10:07:34 AM EDT
I’m thinking about getting a ’02 or ’03 Honda 600CBR F4i, and am hoping to get a review from people who might have put a few miles on one.  I’ve ridden cruisers before, but never a sport bike, and want to know what you think about the riding position.  How comfortable is it?  Does it put a strain on your back and wrists on long trips?  

The reviews I have read always talk about how great the performance is, and what a great bike it is, so I’m not concerned about that.  I’ve sat on it and the riding position doesn’t bother me for short rides, I was just wondering if it gets old on longer trips.  Any other advice or info you think I should take into consideration would be great.  Thanks.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 10:15:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Sport bikes are more comfortable.  You lean into the wind, instead of slumped trying to hang on.

The position stretches your back instead of loading it up.

I'm 6'4" and my CBR600F was just a little small for me, but very useable.

Great bikes.
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 10:29:18 AM EDT
[#2]
The F4i is the most comfortable of the sport bikes.  I have an R6 and can attest to the difference between the two.  The F4i is much more comfortable, but everyone knows the "blue one is faster." LOL.  The Honda is one awesome bike, just like the Yamaha.  The rest is personal preference.  The Honda has a little more comfy seating and position, but the digital speedo on the R6 sold me.

toast
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 10:12:21 AM EDT
[#3]
In the sportbike category the F4i is probably the most comfortable for around time and long rides.

But if I wanted to be the baddest mofo on anything in that size, the Yamaha R6 is the way to go.
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 10:20:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 12:01:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
In the sportbike category the F4i is probably the most comfortable for around time and long rides.
View Quote

The (pre-'03) ZX-6R might edge it out as far as comfort... it has a much better seat.

But if I wanted to be the baddest mofo on anything in that size, the Yamaha R6 is the way to go.
View Quote

I think the '03 ZX-6R has the R6 outclassed... radial brakes, upside down forks, lap timer, etc. [:)]
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 12:12:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Sport bikes are more comfortable.  You lean into the wind, instead of slumped trying to hang on.

The position stretches your back instead of loading it up.

I'm 6'4" and my CBR600F was just a little small for me, but very useable.

View Quote

I was wondering about that.  I have sat on a bunch of sport bikes and they are all small.  I am a bit over 6'4" and did a little research and all sport bikes are about the same size.  I was looking at a 2000 GSXR-750, have never ridden one but was wondering how bad it would be being my height.
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 12:38:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Sniperm88,
   Perhaps you should sit on a few different sportbikes.  I think they all (600's, 750's, and literbikes) have very similar seating positions.  At your height, I might start looking at the bigguns, such as the Hayabusa (eye abuser) or the ZX-12.  Depending upon your riding ability, these may be just the ticket.  I'd hate to look like a circus clown on a mini scooter, but I wouldn't want to put a new rider on one of those beasts either.

toast
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 12:52:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'd hate to look like a circus clown on a mini scooter, but I wouldn't want to put a new rider on one of those beasts either.
View Quote

Or the popular "Monkey humpin a football" heh.  I'm 6' 5" so I'm a bit cramped on the 6R but it's not too bad.
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 1:09:10 PM EDT
[#9]
'02 and '03 are differant!!
Or are they still selling '03 F4i and the brand new sportier 600rr?

People have complain about the hard seat.
but its more easier on the your back.
You are not leaning forward "as much"
So its easier on your wrist too.

If you ever need to take on a passanger and ride a race ready sport bike, go with F4i.
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 1:34:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I switched to a Corbin seat. A MUCH more comfortable seat than the stock one.
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 1:58:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a 2001 CBR600 F4i.  This was the first year they started making them.  I am 6'0" 167lbs.  When going on longer trips, I like to go into a full tuck so the wind doesn't beat me up as bad.  It does get a little cramped after a while, but the roads here in the southern part of IL are very boring and flat, unless I go even further south.  I've ridden dirt bikes all my life, this is my first street bike though, and I am SOOOO glad it's in the garage.  So much fun and so quick it's awesome.  

Don't let people BS ya about the Gixxer or R6 or CBR eating this or that, it doesn't matter which bike you have.  All of them are pretty well equal for the most part.  It's all in the rider.  Yeah the CBR may not be designed for strictly racing like some of the other bikes, but it will hold it's own and/or kick the other's ass if you ride it to it's ability, which I will never be able to do.  Same way for the other bikes, they will eat a CBR if they are ridden by a good rider.

Couple other things, don't spend all your $ on the bike.  I have a full set of boots, leather, and helmet, which retails for over $1100 for it all.  Get this gear and WEAR IT.  People in vehicles don't watch for ya all the time and I've seen pictures of people I know that dropped bikes, not pretty.  And if you get a CBR, especially a newer one that is not under warranty, make sure you have a shop manual and about $50 for a CCT (cam chain tentioner) so you can change that cuz they suck in CBR's.  Mine is rattling bad, so I'm ordering a manual one, not OEM, from APE Racing.
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 3:19:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 6:53:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Having had the f4i, the bike I now  cannot say enough about is the plain jane old YZF600. Th ebike just never seems to stop impressing me.It is by far the most comfortable of the four sportbikes I have owned.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top