Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2013 5:37:45 AM EDT
The trucks are already outfitted with GPS Trackers. And no I don't use them for nailing the crews for taking a truck out after hours. But we have had trucks broken into and gear stolen when out of town. And in the event of a accident I could see what really happened.

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:43:46 AM EDT
[#1]

Hell, I'd consider getting a tracker, and a camera for my car if I could afford to right now.

The roads can be mental these days, and then there are the odd gang out there that purposely cause accidents for false insurance/disability claim purposes.

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:48:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hell, I'd consider getting a tracker, and a camera for my car if I could afford to right now.  

The roads can be mental these days, and then there are the odd gang out there that purposely cause accidents for false insurance/disability claim purposes.

This is what got me thinking about it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:55:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Or....you could hire people you trust. Not sure I would want to work for a guy who had cameras and a GPS tracker on my work vehicle. If the vehicles stay on your lot at night, then never mind, go for it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 6:03:07 AM EDT
[#4]
The person filming that ran many yellow lights and it looks like a couple red lights as well.  Yet they are trying to sell the product because other drivers are a danger.  LOL.

Those cameras are mounted too low.  You would be better off getting a dual camera system that mounts higher and inside the vehicle.

I had this type of camera in car. It worked ok and I caught a few things on it but it failed after about a year.

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 6:06:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Or....you could hire people you trust. Not sure I would want to work for a guy who had cameras and a GPS tracker on my work vehicle. If the vehicles stay on your lot at night, then never mind, go for it.

sadly this comes about because of rising insurance cost. Just looking at ways of cutting it down. I'm not worried about the crews if I have to wonder they wouldn't be working for me.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 6:21:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I would LOVE to get a some sort of decent video monitoring device for my wife's car. Something though that record the sides also (or basically 360 deg)

Her car has been dinged by car doors or out right dented (probably by vandals) several times at work. No parking lot camera's at work. Happens to her coworkers also.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 6:34:38 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The person filming that ran many yellow lights and it looks like a couple red lights as well.  Yet they are trying to sell the product because other drivers are a danger.  LOL.

Those cameras are mounted too low.  You would be better off getting a dual camera system that mounts higher and inside the vehicle.

I had this type of camera in car. It worked ok and I caught a few things on it but it failed after about a year.

Do you slam on the breaks for yellow lights? That is far more dangerous then "running a yellow light"

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 6:54:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you slam on the breaks for yellow lights? That is far more dangerous then "running a yellow light"

BS.  You need to be ready to stop, rather than hitting the gas when the light turns yellow.  This excuse does not work because the issue is never about the light going yellow the second you get at the cusp of the intersection.  It is about the light going yellow when you have enough time to stop.  Poor reaction time is no excuse. Indecision and slamming on the brakes when you have time to stop is no excuse.  Being rearended is much more survivable than being t-boned at 35, 45, or 55 mph. In a larger truck, you have a greater responsibility to protect other drivers, since you are likely going to fuck their shit up.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 6:57:37 AM EDT
[#9]
If it lowers your insurance costs then I say go for it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 7:02:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

BS.  You need to be ready to stop, rather than hitting the gas when the light turns yellow.  This excuse does not work because the issue is never about the light going yellow the second you get at the cusp of the intersection.  It is about the light going yellow when you have enough time to stop.  Poor reaction time is no excuse. Indecision and slamming on the brakes when you have time to stop is no excuse.  Being rearended is much more survivable than being t-boned at 35, 45, or 55 mph. In a larger truck, you have a greater responsibility to protect other drivers, since you are likely going to fuck their shit up.

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 7:02:28 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The yellow light is nothing more than an indicator that the light is about to turn red. It does not mean "stop if you can".
The law only requires you enter the intersection (even if only by a foot), before the light turns. Too many people don't understand the law, and treat yellows like a red light - mostly women.
*Edit to keep thread on track - don't buy OP, looks like a waste of money to me.

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 7:12:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Company I work for has cameras  aimed at driver and passenger along with GPS and audio  in all company trucks/vans.

At any point in time any employee can be viewed, listened to and tracked. Anything they say or do will be used against them in the future. We keep files of every minor infraction or improper action. Emails are generated to their manager if they exceed the speed limit by more than 2mph for over 30seconds.

It keeps them on their toes, its amazing how well people follow rules when they know they are being watched. It's also pretty funny when they come in for a performance review and instead of getting a raise, they get shown some footage and a list of times they were late, took too long of a break or ate in the truck.
They leave the meeting happy to have kept their job, with a cut in pay.

Obviously they can be turned off if someone higher is using one for any reason...but if a hourly employee were to attempt to disable, they get fired and charged with destruction of property.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 7:28:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Holy shit.

I'm not that hard.

I guess being in NY things are a lot different there. we tend to be a little more laid back. All employees must ride with a well known Party Chief and be blessed by them before they are given the keys, If they don't like'em then I probably don't need them. We are a pretty easy going group I have a couple of hard ass's but they keep the other ones entertained.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 7:30:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Company I work for has cameras  aimed at driver and passenger along with GPS and audio  in all company trucks/vans.

At any point in time any employee can be viewed, listened to and tracked. Anything they say or do will be used against them in the future. We keep files of every minor infraction or improper action. Emails are generated to their manager if they exceed the speed limit by more than 2mph for over 30seconds.

It keeps them on their toes, its amazing how well people follow rules when they know they are being watched. It's also pretty funny when they come in for a performance review and instead of getting a raise, they get shown some footage and a list of times they were late, took too long of a break or ate in the truck.

Obviously they can be turned off if someone higher is using one for any reason...but if a hourly employee were to attempt to disable, they get fired and charged with destruction of property.

Sounds like a great gulag to work in.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 7:36:09 AM EDT
[#15]
if you have a company, and your company has vehicles.....Id have trackers in them.

You may not intend to be a dick with them, and you probably won't be.  HOWEVER, you need to put your company before the individual employee in the event they do something stupid and fuck your shit up...............(like, going 90 in a 45, etc).

I'd combine the tracker with a sign-off sheet saying that they agree to never speed, and if they do the company is absolved of any liability from the use of the truck in an illegal fashion as the employee has agreed to not use the company vehicle illegally.

You want to CYA, it appears, and if you want to CYA effectively, you need to get signatures and "train" your people so that they understand the expectations (don't operate my trucks dangerously or illegally) and they are in writing.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 7:42:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not an issue for me, I am not tracked.
The issue is with the blue collar outdoor workers, they are not exactly the cream of the crop. I don't know if you have ever seen the numbers when it comes to the amount of money lost due to stupidity from the lowest people on the payroll.
These guys do some stupid shit if they are left to their own devices, they get drunk, they smoke weed, they smoke in the van, they are late, they lie, they steal, they skip out early, they take long breaks, they speed because they are late, they are hungover, they curse and swear, they bad mouth the company, they text and drive, they talk to their wives/GF/baby momma,/whore while driving, they fall asleep at the wheel, they try to drive home and keep their per-deim...the list goes on and on.

They cost us tens of millions a year. We are not a government agency, they are not public employees and they are not union. They are expected to work for every dollar they are paid, if they do not like it....get the fuck out and get a job someplace else.

ETA: the young ones are the worst, their entire goal is to get injured and "get a big fat settlement, buy a new truck and a Harley... get on the disability and be set for life"
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 7:52:45 AM EDT
[#17]
I always have a hard time getting my "many" back from the insurance company.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 7:56:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not an issue for me, I am not tracked.
The issue is with the blue collar outdoor workers, they are not exactly the cream of the crop. I don't know if you have ever seen the numbers when it comes to the amount of money lost due to stupidity from the lowest people on the payroll.
These guys do some stupid shit if they are left to their own devices, they get drunk, they smoke weed, they smoke in the van, they are late, they lie, they steal, they skip out early, they take long breaks, they speed because they are late, they are hungover, they curse and swear, they bad mouth the company, they text and drive, they talk to their wives/GF/baby momma,/whore while driving, they fall asleep at the wheel, they try to drive home and keep their per-deim...the list goes on and on.

They cost us tens of millions a year. We are not a government agency, they are not public employees and they are not union. They are expected to work for every dollar they are paid, if they do not like it....get the fuck out and get a job someplace else.

ETA: the young ones are the worst, their entire goal is to get injured and "get a big fat settlement, buy a new truck and a Harley... get on the disability and be set for life"

Treat your employees like crap you shouldn't be surpirsed if they treat the company the same way.  It's a two way street.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 8:17:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
if you have a company, and your company has vehicles.....Id have trackers in them.

You may not intend to be a dick with them, and you probably won't be.  HOWEVER, you need to put your company before the individual employee in the event they do something stupid and fuck your shit up...............(like, going 90 in a 45, etc).

I'd combine the tracker with a sign-off sheet saying that they agree to never speed, and if they do the company is absolved of any liability from the use of the truck in an illegal fashion as the employee has agreed to not use the company vehicle illegally.

You want to CYA, it appears, and if you want to CYA effectively, you need to get signatures and "train" your people so that they understand the expectations (don't operate my trucks dangerously or illegally) and they are in writing.

Oh yea, already have them sign off on that. I'm more worried about Joe Blow out there.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 9:15:40 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If I were filming a video about safe driving and the dangers of other drivers, I would make sure that I was driving safe enough so that I would have plenty of time to stop for a light.

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 9:31:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Do America a favor and make sure that you stay in NY. Those "icky" outside guys are what makes your company money. F'ing IT guys.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 11:37:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do America a favor and make sure that you stay in NY. Those "icky" outside guys are what makes your company money. F'ing IT guys.

They have the option of driving their own personal vehicle...none do. They are not "icky" a lot of them are hard workers and are actualy pretty cool people....they just tend to make poor decisions and are easily lead astray by those around them. Most of their issues stem from massive alcohol consumption, bad credit, poor financial habits and lack of self control.
They are fine as long as they are supervised, they do the right thing most of the time. But as soon as they think nobody is looking....watch out, shits about to get fucked up.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 11:47:59 AM EDT
[#23]
id love to get one for my girlfriends car..... she has hit many, many, deer, turkeys, ducks, chickens, rabbits, squirrells, you name it, she has hit it, or its hit her.

her camera system would record shit like this !

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top