Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2002 5:33:42 PM EDT
Ok...my kid drove me nuts enough to go and get some fishing poles and gear.

Actually, I think it was good thinking on his part.I hadn't been fishing in years.Got the chance to go out and talk to him about world issues,girls, etc.

Anywho, we went to a lake stocked with bass,catfish and some trout.
I used a nightcrawler on # 8 hook, but they just tore it up to shreds(Bass)

The trout were going for some Powerbait on a treble hook.

We ended up getting some bites, but no fish.Spent 2 days fishing and no luck.

Can you gentlemen/gentleladies too, recommend any good techniques for catching bass or trout?
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 6:36:11 PM EDT
[#1]
What lake do you go to? in CA, we usually use powerbait for trout. Use a # 12 (I think) hook and put just enough powerbait on it to make it float. You want to use a leader about 12"-18". Also, use a slip weight (half ounce) with a plastic bead. if it is hot, the trout like to go to deeper/cooler water. If it's cold, they can be found anywhere.
For bass, if it's hot, they are more aggressive. Try top water lures like buzz baits, crank baits, spinners, etc... In the spring, the bass spawn (this is your best chance to catching MANY bass).
In clear water, use light colored baits (maybe a clear worm with sparkles). For colored water, use colored baits. There are way too many tips.tricks out there. Try watching a fishing show on TNN or ESPN sometimes. They really help.
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 6:41:29 PM EDT
[#2]
If you're getting bites and bait stolen, then you are 95% of the way to catching fish.  Now you need to learn how to put a worm on the hook so it can't be stolen easily.

Be sure you use the sharpest hooks you can buy.

And then Practice, practice, practice.

Oh and by the way, it's not the catching that is most important, as you already mentioned in your post.  That's why it's not called catching.
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 6:53:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 7:07:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If you're getting bites and bait stolen, then you are 95% of the way to catching fish.  Now you need to learn how to put a worm on the hook so it can't be stolen easily.

Be sure you use the sharpest hooks you can buy.

And then Practice, practice, practice.

Oh and by the way, it's not the catching that is most important, as you already mentioned in your post.  That's why it's not called catching.
View Quote

Well said. That about sums it up.

Added: Don't underestimat the fun in cathing perch/sunfish/bluegills. Light line and rods- can't go wrong. Small hooks and a bobber.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top