Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2002 8:25:39 AM EDT
after a 20 year separation i will soon be reunited with an old hunting buddy!  we were robbed a long time ago and they stole many of my guns and just recently someone tried to pawn my Browning BPS shogun and when the pawn shop ran the serial number to came up stolen.  

so my hats off and thanks to the Austin, TX Police Dept.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 8:29:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, there's a surprise. Enjoy your old friend.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 8:29:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 8:35:03 AM EDT
[#3]
You just reminded me to log my serial numbers this weekend!
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 8:36:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Congratulations!!

keving67
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 8:39:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You just reminded me to log my serial numbers this weekend!
View Quote

Me too.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 8:48:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Interesting to see what turns up when they sweat the guy pawning.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 8:50:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 9:01:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
after a 20 year separation i will soon be reunited with an old hunting buddy!  we were robbed a long time ago and they stole many of my guns and just recently someone tried to pawn my Browning BPS shogun and when the pawn shop ran the serial number to came up stolen.  

so my hats off and thanks to the Austin, TX Police Dept.
View Quote
Wow! Great story [b]308wood[/b]. Glad to hear you've been reunited with your long lost friend. [:)] Is it any worse for wear?

But this got me thinking...

...So the pawn shop was required (by law) to run serial numbers of guns brought in for sale by Joe Sixpack.

See. There ARE "reasonable" gun laws out there.

No, you can't just walk into a place of business and buy and sell guns with no checks or paper trail.

Problem is that this gives credence to the antis who want to close the "gunshow loophole" and require ALL private firearm transactions be done through a FFL.

Link Posted: 10/3/2002 9:09:08 AM EDT
[#9]
you do have to wonder, is the guy who pawned it the one who stole it or did he buy it from someone else years ago. thinking it was legal, then it turns up stolen. if he was smart he got a sales record for the private sale. but the crook probably didnt sign it. or signed it with a fake name.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 9:32:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Then, like the LEO who recently kiilled himself our of grief over his mistake, someone could have entered the ser # incorrectly.  I just tried to send a package to a friend and transposed his zip code so I know from personal experience things like this happen.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 9:43:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You see that? We're more than just donuts! I'm happy for you 308Wood. I hope the perp gets what he deserves...
View Quote

we think we know who they were (family) but can't prove it.  maybe now there is enough evidence to peruse it and get all my guns back!  
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 10:02:57 AM EDT
[#12]
What was taken?Is the Browning BPS 20 years old or the same name on a diffrent gun.Glad your gettin it back.

Somone broke into a hardened room at my Uncles and stole 20,000 plus of black powder originals.That was in the 70's think how much they are worth now.My cousin was keeping them there.We think it was another distant cousin becuse he was one of the few who knew when my Uncle whent to Kentucky long enough giving him timeto break in.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 10:11:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Congrats on locating your BPS, and hats off to APD.  I did my college intership with APD, and they were a pretty squared away department at the time.  How much does your insurance carrier want for the BPS?  If they paid a claim on the theft, then they technically own the gun at this point.  They willing to reunite you for a resonable amount?
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 10:19:32 AM EDT
[#14]
My home was robbed last May, five months after having a security system installed. I armed it before I left that AM...however, it was disarmed when I came home. Front door was kicked in, funny how that was the only entry that was on delay. Back windows would have been much easier and less visable to go thru, but would have immediatly set off the alarm. The thief (s) came in the only way they could, knowing the passcode.
 The installer lives three streets over, he and I were the only ones that had the passcode. Pretty easy to see who did it right? WRONG! The detectives that worked the case are totally uninterested in finding who did it and getting my stuff back. They didn't even want to listen to my information. Never questioned the installer, never did any research. I'm not a satisfied customer. I don't like to think about it as it _really_ pisses me off.
The po-po do, however, call me every six months or so and ask me if [b]I've[/b] recovered the firearms yet. How comforting...
 A G27 and a Gp100 were both stolen, along with my Sony digital camera, cash, Rolex watch, Benchmade AFCK and various holsters.
I had the serial on the Gp-100 but not on the G27. I'll probably never see either again.
The G27 was in a nice Alessi ankle rig, broken in perfectly. That really pissed me off.
I have since bought a safe and a dog along with instituing a few other "thief stoppers."
I'm really looking forward to the day it its attempted again.  Its going to be worth cleaning up the mess...

Edited to add:
Its disturbing to see how many people have been robbed of firearms. I'd like to see the stats on how many are actually recovered. I bet its less than 1 in 10 but thats just a guess.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 10:38:59 AM EDT
[#15]
After five years a stolen firearm is removed from NCIC, so someone at Austin P.D. had to reinstall it as a stolen weapon every five years, unbeliveable, you do owe them thanks.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 10:41:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Its disturbing to see how many people have been robbed of firearms. I'd like to see the stats on how many are actually recovered. I bet its less than 1 in 10 but thats just a guess.
View Quote

Yes, the number of firearms stolen is disturbing, and I'm pretty sure you're right that less than 10% are recovered.  However, that might have something to do with the fact that the vast majority of those who get guns stolen never bother to record their serial numbers.  Often, they can't even tell you what make and model the stolen weapon was.  "Uh, I think it was a chrome .34 Magnum Super automatic revolver." isn't an atypical description.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 10:59:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
After five years a stolen firearm is removed from NCIC, so someone at Austin P.D. had to reinstall it as a stolen weapon every five years, unbeliveable, you do owe them thanks.
View Quote

Did they change their procedure at NCIC.  When I was on PD, guns were kept on file by NCIC, unless the originating agency cancelled it.
On another note, I worked part time for a gun shop while on the PD and bought a beautifully engraved Win Model 92 from the shop.  On a hunch, I ran the number and found it had been stolen several years prior to my buying it from the owner in a community about 40 or 50 miles away.  I called the agency responsible for entering the gun in NCIC and they were going to interview the guy who put the gun on consignment with our gun shop.  Don't know what happened after that.  The gun was given back to the owner by the way.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 12:17:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Did they change their procedure at NCIC.  When I was on PD, guns were kept on file by NCIC, unless the originating agency cancelled it.
On another note, I worked part time for a gun shop while on the PD and bought a beautifully engraved Win Model 92 from the shop.  On a hunch, I ran the number and found it had been stolen several years prior to my buying it from the owner in a community about 40 or 50 miles away.  I called the agency responsible for entering the gun in NCIC and they were going to interview the guy who put the gun on consignment with our gun shop.  Don't know what happened after that.  The gun was given back to the owner by the way.
View Quote
It could have just been my agencies policy, but that is what I was told they did I did not have anything to do with entering things, but was told after five years if I wanted it active they had to redo it, so it may have been a local thing I do not know. Edit to add: I kinda remember going round and round with my Capt. on this and he said something about statue of limitations, but he was a dumbshit, and could have just been blowing me off, he was like that, and he was a dumbshit. Anyway that was/ is our agencies policy.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 12:41:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Damn thieves.  My pop had a nice .357 Colt Python stolen in the 70's, and he didn't even have it a month.  Never saw it again.  Too bad, I would like to have had it passed down to me instead of some jerk robbing people with it or whatever became of it.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 12:53:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Wow. That is long time to wait for a reunion. Glad the cops got you and yoru "Friend" back together.....

Scott

Link Posted: 10/3/2002 2:14:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have since bought a safe and a dog along with instituing a few other "thief stoppers."
I'm really looking forward to the day it its attempted again.  Its going to be worth cleaning up the mess...

View Quote

I hope the above does not mean you installed "booby traps". You can and probably will be prosecuted if a thief sets one off.....
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 3:12:13 PM EDT
[#22]
I reported my pistols stolen within a few hours of it happening. Years later I got a call from the ATF asking what the disposition of one of them was. (I am a C&R licensee) Told them the status even the police report number, officers name, date, everything. Guess what, never saw it again. My guess it is in front of the UN building in that infamous statue.
So much for victims rights eh?
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 4:15:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I hope the above does not mean you installed "booby traps". You can and probably will be prosecuted if a thief sets one off.....
View Quote

OC foggers, flash bangs and a few large bear traps. "They are all just decorations, officer"
I can't help it if someone breaks in and sets them all off!  
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 6:37:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Stolen guns stay in NCIC forever. The originating agency gets a periodic admin message requesting that they check their records to make sure that the weapon hasn't been recovered, but stolen gun files are never purged (I just took my re-certification test a few months ago).
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 7:07:18 PM EDT
[#25]
If you want,  I'll give you the name of the pawn shop detail supervisor and an address.

Do you happen to know which pawn shop?
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 4:22:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Lets be honest, the cops didn't find shit.  The system worked, and the fact that it did is what found your guns.  Its not like they were out looking for your guns, some idiot tried to sell one, and the serial # caught them.  Perhaps you should change the title of the thread.
Just look at all the other in this thread who have been robbed of firearms with no follow-up by the police.
A friend of mine had his G-26 stolen in Miami, and the cops acted like it wasn't a big deal.  Then they wonder when some innocent kid gets caught in the cross-fire.  This mentality really boggles the mind.
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 6:11:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Dear Norman, What boggles my mind are moronic statements like yours. The cops are part of the system that recovered the gun. Who do you think entered the gun in NCIC, the toothfairy?????!!!!Since you are abviously a genius, maybe you should become a LEO and straighten the rest of us out. PS. Either learn how to spell, or use spell check.....
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 8:31:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Dear Norman, What boggles my mind are moronic statements like yours. The cops are part of the system that recovered the gun.
Who do you think entered the gun in NCIC, the toothfairy?????!!!!
View Quote

At my job, we call the dumbass who does data-entry a secretary, are you saying that cops are secretaries?
Since you are abviously a genius, maybe you should become a LEO and straighten the rest of us out. PS. Either learn how to spell, or use spell check.....
View Quote

This from the guy who can't spell "obviously"?  Again, at my job we call the people who type with no typos secretaries.

Are you a cop, or just a mall ninja who couldn't make it through the academy?  Or, let me guess, you're a criminology major who's going to be a fed one day?
Either way, I'm not bashing cops, I'm just pointing out the obvious.  You explain the way the system works to me then, since I'm abviously a moron.  What part of the whole thing took actual "police" work, and wasn't done by a secretary?
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 9:37:20 AM EDT
[#29]
oh great.
one more example of a topic turned to shit because two idiots want to butt heads.
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 9:52:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
oh great.
one more example of a topic turned to shit because two idiots want to butt heads.
View Quote

Off topic:
Now see, you add to it by calling people idiots.
I simply stated my opinion in my orignal post.  mmsig229 then called me a moron and so on.  I give out what I get, and I will continue to do so.  If he can't have an intelligent debate, and has to resort to name calling, then I will gladly drop to his level.  What I won't do is pretend to be above it while still participating as you have.  You complain that personal attacks have ruined your thread, and yet you make it worse by resorting to personal attacks.  You need to choose which you're going to be; the guy who's above calling names and simply tries to get the thread back on topic, or the guy who throws down his gloves and joins in the fight. You can't have it both ways.

On topic:
With that said, perhaps you could clarify your orginal post for me.  mmsig jumped my case for saying the cops had nothing to do with recovering your guns.  I would honestly appreciate it if you could elighten me and the others here as to exactly how the story went down.  From reading your original post, it seemed to me that the cops were actually barely involved, and that it was the method of recording/checking serial numbers by law in your state that actually got your gun back.
Thank you, and I do sincerely appologize for ruining your thread, hopefully the last part of my post above will help to get it back on topic.
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 10:27:03 AM EDT
[#31]
ok, doky.

the way I understand it:
we called the cops and they came out and got the serial numbers of the stolen guns and they entered them in their database.  every five years they sent us a post card asking if we had recovered the guns ourselves or if not did we want to keep the guns listed in their database.  we sent back the postcards telling them to keep the guns listed.  then early this week a lady calls the house and tells us a pawn shop in Austin has got a "hit" when they tried to log a used gun into the stolen gun database.  the lady called us and ask us if we wanted to receive the gun.  I am just thankful she was willing to give it back to us and it was not sent to the "chop saw" like stolen guns are in other states.  I realize that is normally reserved for guns that have been in crimes.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 10:36:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Dear Norman, I did not call you a moron, I said you made a moronic statement. As for secretaries, dispatchers are alot more than secretaries, and many LEO's are LEADS certified and may enter their own data. As for being a mall guard, I graduated from one of the top three police academies in the country. And this was most likely done while you were still smearing pimple cream on your mug. Any yes, you were cop bashing, saying they didn't do shit. Now be a good little boy and go back to your trailer. You're playing in the deep end. PS Thanks for pointing out that my spell check isn't working..
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 10:39:43 AM EDT
[#33]
in '92 my ft lauderdale apt was robbed and i lost a few firearms. last year i recieved a call from the wildlife dept saying that they had stopped a car in the locksahatchi (sp) wildlife area and a subsequent search revealed my SS series 80 colt. about 8 months later (after trial) i got the pistol back. still have not seen my 6601 or 38 super.
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 11:02:28 AM EDT
[#34]
308wood;
Thanks.  I have to say that I'm impressed that the system worked as well as it did.  And I'm always glad to hear that someone got a stolen gun back.  I'm also impressed to hear that they managed to remember to send you the postcards.  In Florida you're lucky if you get a reminder to renew your DMV paperwork, let alone anything on stolen property.
Is it a state law in TX to run this check?  I have to say that it sounds like a great idea.  Of course, I'd hate to buy a gun at a show from a private sellor, only to find out later that it had been stolen.  I guess it pays to really know your sellor when you buy private party.  Do they call in the serial # or do they have access to the database?  Does it check national or only state?

mmsig;
Look, if you want to get your panties in a wad over someone else's opinion, be my guest.  I could go on and on about how its cops like you with your crap ass attitude and your complete lack of respect for the general public that ruin the profession in most people's eyes, but why bother, I think intellectually sesame street is over your head, and asking you to understand that you've got major psychological issues is like asking a 3 year old to design the space shuttle.  I'm sorry if you feel that everyone is out to get you, and that you have been personally insulted anytime anyone says anything even remotely derogatory about your profession.  I probably could have worded my first post in a less inflamatory way, but that's not me.  I like to get a rise out of folks, and I'm glad that someone like you was small minded enough to take the bait.  You've given me something to do while I'm in-between things at work.
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 11:20:24 AM EDT
[#35]
The FIRST rule regarding alarm systems is that you ALWAYS change the passcode(s) immediately after the installer's job is complete and he leaves.  You're leaving yourself open if you don't.

CJ
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 12:27:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Glad to hear you and an old friend are re-united. It happens, as seen on a post I entered about a week ago regarding a pistol that was stolen from my truck in 1999 and I just got back this past August. I still do, however, wonder why it took the Phoenix police dept. over two years to find me/return it to me. Better than a poke in the eye, I guess.
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 3:03:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Wow Norman, Now you've really hurt my feelings!!!!!!!! Go back to your "work." Care to supersize that sir???????
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 2:55:39 AM EDT
[#38]
mmsig, regardless of what I do for work, I can rest assured that I make more at the beginning of my carreer than you make at the end of yours.  Unless of course you count the bribes, kickbacks, discounted rent, free meals, and other "perks" of police work.
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 3:24:00 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm sorry, but im goign to have to side with norman on this one. The police in this case really did nothing. True, they played a small part in taking the serial numbers. I tihnk the person who gets the pat on the back here is the pawn shop owner. THey are the one who's actually checking this stuff. The pawn shop owner checks all the numbers, finds something, then the police say it was their " amazing detective work". and the police TAKE all the credit. B.S.
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 3:49:40 AM EDT
[#40]
NAM, I believe you are wrong.

1) Police obtained enough information in the initial report to list the stolen items in state/national databases.

2) After 5 years the re-listed it in the database.

3) After 5 years they re-listed it in the database.

4) After 5 years they re-listed it in the database.

5) The weapon was pawned.

6) The pawn dealer, probably reuired by law to get ID from the pawnee, entered the item. Either into a pawn database or on a paper record.

7) A LEO then had to compare all recent pawnings vs. the state/national databases. If you've ever run a gun to see if it is stolen....... there is about a 33% chance that any serial number will get a stolen hit. You then have to sit and compare the make, caliber, weapon type, etc. to determine if the stolen hit is actually related to the item you inquired about.

8) They had to go get the item.

9) They had to contact the true owner of the weapon, 20 years after it was reported stolen.

10) They also most likely questioned the "pawnee", there might have been a prosecution which would explain the 1.5 years between recovery and return.

Does this make it earth shattering police work? NO. But to list an item as stolen 20 years after the fact show that the dept. that originally listed it is trying to do what people expect them to.

Imagine 20 years later still having paperwork releted to a $300 item in say the heating and ac industry, or car repair, or retail. Well the police in this case not only have it, they kept updating it.

Instead of saying nice job, realizing most of the job was just keeping paperwork straight, you have to nit-pick and side with a nit-wit.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 4:14:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Without getting too personal here Norman, drug dealers and NBA players make more in a day than you (and me) make in a year. I'm certain that given your scale, they have more important jobs than both of us. As for the perks, we sure have them alright!!! Lets see, a crappy schedule, working all the holidays,being micromanaged by supervisors who never leave the station, second guessed constantly by the public, decent but not compensatory pay, a shortened lifespan (LEO's croak an average of 5 years after retirement), I could go on and on. And YES,we realize this when we take the job. And contrary to what you believe, the majority of us do manage somehow to maintain a good attitude and enjoy helping people. I have a personnel file loaded with thank you notes indicating this. Did I mention being supervised the entire shift by a camera and mike???I would like to see how most people would react to that constant scrutiny. You are 100% correct. I do react to people's threads who criticize LEO's regarding something they know nothing about. I do not pretend to be able to do a heart transplant or build a skyscraper. What makes so many people experts regarding police work?? You may also leave your psychobabble(sp?) out of it. We periodically get evaluated both mentally and physically. You'll be surprised to learn people with "Dr" before their names, have determined me to be just fine. According to your own statements, you "bait" and try to get a "rise" out of people with your "debating." Consider this debate ended. You may, and most likely will get the last word. So you have a nice day sir. I plan on enjoying my weekend off (one of the four per year), and you do the same......
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 5:04:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Here in Alabama, a cop will make rounds of the pawn shops and get the serial #s since his last visit.  He then runs them and acts accordingly.

I've never had any guns stolen, but this past February at a gunshow in Birmingham AL, my BATF "bound book" along with some change and a few odds and ends were stolen out of my vehicle.  The police and ATF were quite helpful.

Glad to hear you got your gun back!

Balming
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 5:13:14 AM EDT
[#43]
GETTING BACK TO THE SUBJECT AT HAND

Way to go [beer] 308wood, I hope the Browing is in decent shape and the cops lean on the guy to get some the rest of your property back. I would stop into the pawnshop and look around.

This is a nice way to start a weekend
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top