Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2002 1:53:47 AM EDT
I just sent this e-mail to my senators and representatives. If anyone wants to send it to their congressmen/women feel free to. I went through the GOA website.

Dear Sen
In 2004 the assault weapons ban will sunset allowing your average everyday citizen to be able to buy guns like ar-15 and ak-47's. This ban did nothing more than ban high capacity magazines, flash suppressors, pistol grips, bayonet lugs, and telescoping stocks. Many anti-gun groups portrayed how much safer our streets would be with all these items off our streets. I would like you to question why these items on a gun would make them so very deadly. Since the assault weapon ban of '94 have bayoneting incidents decreased? I still haven’t even heard of one. Does a criminal need a 30 round magazine to rob a liquor store? Does a flash suppressor make a gun so much more dangerous? A collapsible stock ar-15 only shortens it by about 6 inches.  Would a criminal carry a 30-36 inch rifle under his jacket or a small 9mm pistol? I would guess that he would want a small pistol, but that is me. What do you think he would want? Criminals want a weapon they can conceal easily and their first choice is not going to be an ak-47. Ak-47's are bulky and heavy as most other assault weapons. According to the Department of Justice, Assault Weapons are the least used weapons by criminals while the most popular is 9mm automatic pistols. The Assault Weapon ban did nothing more than cause rifles built before 1994 to rise in value over 1000 dollars. I would urge you to vote against the Assault Weapons Ban in 2004 and let it sunset.
Sincerely
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 3:15:40 AM EDT
[#1]
That's too much.  How true, though.  I am getting my letter ready.  Mind if I use part of this line?

>Since the assault weapon ban of '94 have >bayoneting incidents decreased? I still >haven’t even heard of one.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 7:44:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I do not mind at all.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 7:53:11 AM EDT
[#3]
While I'm all for writing your reps on gun related issues, be careful how you word things.  Emphasize how the AW ban has done nothing to prevent or deter crime.  Emphasize how it has inconvenienced law abiding citizens.  Point out that this useless law is confusing and not entirely understood even by many police.  

It's probably not a good idea to say that 9mm pistols are more likely to be used in crime and are more popular with criminals.  Unless you want them banned, too.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 9:43:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah I wasn't sure whether to put that in their or not and I later regretted it, but at the time I as thinking about using 9mm's to show that the are criminalizing the wrong type of gun. Oh well hind sight is alwasy 20/20
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 10:49:10 PM EDT
[#5]
That should read '2004Homeland Defense Rifle Ban'

Keep America strong.

Link Posted: 10/1/2002 10:55:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Great letter. Sort of hits the nail on the head. You just motivated me to start with my letter writing campaign. Thanks. [marines]
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 1:17:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Its best just to keep these letters short.  They won't read them personally.

Say something like this:

Please do not renew the Assault Rifle Ban in 2004.  Support our Second Amendment right to own the firearm of our choice.  If you vote to renew the Assault Rifle Ban in 2004, I will vote against you in every other election which you ever run in.

Or if your "leader" is a Democrat, say something like "I was once a committed Democrat, until the Democrats attacked the Second Amendment.  I now vote exclusively for the Republicans.  The Democrats could begin to regain my trust by voting against a renewal of the Assault Rifle Ban in 2004."

-SS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top