Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2002 1:47:18 AM EDT
Wooo hoo!!!!!

[url=www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A25696-2002Oct1.html]Port Shutdown May Cause Empty Shelves [/url]

WASHINGTON –– A prolonged shutdown of West Coast ports could lead to empty store shelves, quiet factories and a global economic crisis, analysts say.

"The collateral damage is huge," said Stephen Cohen, a regional planning professor at the University of California at Berkeley. "We've never had anything like this. This affects the entire economy."

Millions of dollars in cargo sat idle for a second day at the 29 major Pacific ports. West Coast shipping lines said they will keep the ports closed until the longshoremen agree to extend their expired contract. But the 10,500-member union said it will not budge until the lockout is ended.

A stalemate could be disastrous for the U.S. economy, which already is teetering between recovery and recession. The cost has been pegged at $1 billion a day.

"It's just massive," said John Martin, president of Martin Associates, a Lancaster, Pa., economic consulting firm.

The problems could snowball quickly, according to his study conducted for the Pacific Maritime Association, which represents shipping lines and sea terminal operators. [b]A 10-day shutdown could cost the country $19.4 billion.[/b]

Link Posted: 10/1/2002 1:56:37 AM EDT
[#1]
The Chinese will never let this happen.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 2:02:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The Chinese will never let this happen.
View Quote

It would be well within their rights to use military force abroad to protect their interests.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 3:55:38 AM EDT
[#3]
bring it on!
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 4:45:47 AM EDT
[#4]
If it were me I would fire them all and hire non-union workers.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 5:13:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

... If it were me I would fire them all and hire [s]non-union[/s] [i]unemployed folks that are willing to work[/i][s]ers[/s].
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 5:18:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

... If it were me I would fire them all and hire [s]non-union[/s] [i]unemployed folks that are willing to work[/i][s]ers[/s].
View Quote

[b]ABSOLUTELY !!![/B]
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 5:23:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

That is exactly what I meant. They could probably even lower the pay from the negotiated union wage and it still be a good paying job.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 5:31:03 AM EDT
[#8]

Maybe for once people will be forced to buy American!

Link Posted: 10/1/2002 5:34:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

That is exactly what I meant. They could probably even lower the pay from the negotiated union wage and it still be a good paying job.
View Quote

I use to haul ocean going containers to the docks in Oakland. The longshoreman for holiday pay back in 94 was $1000.00 for one day/about 5hours "work".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top